Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some general questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Two months ago, I ordered a Model Y and have an ETA of Jan, 2022. I just have some general questions about the process.

It seems that every so often features are being updated on Teslas. If I understand correctly, with Tesla, we do not necessarily order a 2021 Model Y, 2022 Model Y, etc., but rather the models are continually updated.

My main question is, how do I know what exact model I will receive? For example, Teslas are now being produced in Texas, and I read about differences between the same model being produced at different locations. Can/should I request a car from a particular factory? Also, I am reading about updates to batteries. How would I know what battery technology I will be getting? Can I request that as well or am I locked into what the technology was like at the time of my reservation?

Thanks in advance for any details you can provide.

As of right now, customer cars (long range and performance) are only shipping from Fremont with 2170 batteries. Austin 4680s are standard range cars that currently seem to only be going to employees, and it is not available to order. It’s probably going to be a while before Austin/battery production ramp up enough to start fulfilling customer orders from there, so I wouldn’t hold your breath for an Austin car.

What RocY said.

I would add that it seems Tesla changes the model year of the car around November 1st. So your car will likely be labeled a 2023. That said, Tesla will add (and remove) features at anytime during the year so that "2023" doesn't mean much other than maybe looking a year newer for future resale.

From what I read most people assumed Texas would only produce 4680 battery cars. But now Tesla has confirmed Texas will be building 2170 cars.
It is still anyone's guess but what it seems will happen is the 4680 will continue to go into the new Standard Range AWD Model Y that at some point should be available to order but so far is just being sold to employees (maybe fleets?). Then Texas will add the 2170 line to produce LR AWD and Perfomance cars to match the cars continuing out of Fremont. This gets around having a mix of 2170 and 4680 cars of the same model.

At some point in the future, Fremont will switch over to 4680 and Texas will cease the 2170 line. But who knows when that will happen...I think you will have your Model Y long before that starts happening. 4680 cell production needs to ramp up a lot before they can switch the LR and P over to them. They also need those cells for Cybertruck next year.

Bottom line you are locked into whatever Tesla gives you. If Tesla opens orders for the SR AWD MY then you could swap your order to that to guarantee a new 4680 structural battery pack. If you are okay giving up the range.

Thanks everyone for your replies. How would I know exactly the configuration that I am getting. I ordered the long-range model and it should come with the adapter? (that's another item Tesla recently started charging $200 for?). The long-range should have a range of 330 miles?

Also, just curious what happens if Tesla releases some nice update in a few months (for example, perhaps windows that fully go down in the rear, or some new windshield wiper technology system? Because I might get the delivery so far down the road, am I locked in to what I ordered or would my order be updated and come with these new features?

Thanks everyone for your replies. How would I know exactly the configuration that I am getting. I ordered the long-range model and it should come with the adapter? (that's another item Tesla recently started charging $200 for?). The long-range should have a range of 330 miles?

Also, just curious what happens if Tesla releases some nice update in a few months (for example, perhaps windows that fully go down in the rear, or some new windshield wiper technology system? Because I might get the delivery so far down the road, am I locked in to what I ordered or would my order be updated and come with these new features?
As long as you ordered before April 28th, you’ll get the mobile charger. If they hypothetically implemented those new features before your car is built, then yes your car would get those new features.

If they hypothetically implemented those new features before your car is built, then yes your car would get those new features.
That's definitely true if OP is talking about hardware features. Both examples OP used can be software-only, and if so, you'll get them in OTA updates. The caveat there is that when you get a particular update is kinda random.

Reactions: RocY
Thanks again. This is again all very hypotheical...

What would happen if, for example, some new hardware feature is announced (like a new type of glass used in the sunroof), or to go even bigger, what if Tesla announces that the entire body of the model Y will change and become more sleek, and that improves range by 50 miles? Would/Could I be eligible to receive that new sleek model, or am I locked into the model available at the time I ordered?

Thanks again. This is again all very hypotheical...

What would happen if, for example, some new hardware feature is announced (like a new type of glass used in the sunroof), or to go even bigger, what if Tesla announces that the entire body of the model Y will change and become more sleek, and that improves range by 50 miles? Would/Could I be eligible to receive that new sleek model, or am I locked into the model available at the time I ordered?
You locked into a Model Y and the price at that time. Any update to that model at that time of build is what you will get. Highly likely from Fremont granted it really won’t matter as the model ordered will be the same. Try not to over think it you have a Lot of time till your date arrives. Do be warned that Tesla likes to burn the midnight oil to get Every order out at year end so I would wager your car will come (as a 2023) in December last possible week.

I understand the replies and that I do lock in to the model at that particular time, but just wondering if there is a big change or upgrade. For example, I ordered in March of 2022. What happens if in, for example, November, it's announced that a Tesla Model Y will come with a new battery that will have a range of 500 miles? Or if airless tires are now standard? I assume that I would not get this model, but would I have an option to?