Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some good news… and not so good news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
Canada, which used to be Australia’s fossil-fueled partner-in-crime, is joining the list of countries to ban fossil fueled vehicles:

Canada can now be added to this list:

But in not good news from Canada, the all-time hottest-ever recorded temperature has been broken 3 times in a row in 3 days. A new record was set today of 49.6°C in Lytton, BC. The extreme heat is thought to have contributed to the deaths of up to 100 people, 65 in Vancouver. This is now only 1°C less than Australa’s hottest-ever recorded temperature. Given Canada’s latitude, that is just NUTS.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
Canada, which used to be Australia’s fossil-fueled partner-in-crime, is joining the list of countries to ban fossil fueled vehicles:

But in not good news from Canada, the all-time hottest-ever recorded temperature has been broken 3 times in a row in 3 days. A new record was set today of 49.6°C in Lytton, BC. The extreme heat is thought to have contributed to the deaths of up to 100 people, 65 in Vancouver. This is now only 1°C less than Australa’s hottest-ever recorded temperature. Given Canada’s latitude, that is just NUTS.

Agreed about this good/bad news. It's a good reminder why we need to do our small part - for our kids and future generations. History will not remember us kindly.

We might be able to add the EU to this list, only their stretch goal is 2030. I saw that there is proposed legislation up for approval and/or watering down by powerful political interests. This includes all flavours of hybrids too. Gotta love a good stretch goal.

Call me an optimist but I think consumers will actually want EV for the most part once they drive one, irrespective of any environmental advantages. I love my M3LR although I've only had it since March - it's the best car on the market for me regardless of price. I look forward to the day when ICE vehicles are a niche product for special purpose. And yes, I do understand that EV alone will not be enough to mitigate climate change - much more is required.

Reactions: Vostok
Agreed about this good/bad news. It's a good reminder why we need to do our small part - for our kids and future generations. History will not remember us kindly.

We might be able to add the EU to this list, only their stretch goal is 2030. I saw that there is proposed legislation up for approval and/or watering down by powerful political interests. This includes all flavours of hybrids too. Gotta love a good stretch goal.

Call me an optimist but I think consumers will actually want EV for the most part once they drive one, irrespective of any environmental advantages. I love my M3LR although I've only had it since March - it's the best car on the market for me regardless of price. I look forward to the day when ICE vehicles are a niche product for special purpose. And yes, I do understand that EV alone will not be enough to mitigate climate change - much more is required.

It's a knock on effect, I got my first EV in 2015 (Model S)....then we got solar, then become Flexiteritins, then refuse to buy products/services from big pollutors, then buy only products packaged evironmentally, then got a second EV, then a PW2 (thanks Tesla, a freebie), then friends start copying us...list goes on.....our carbon foot print over the past 5-6 years has reduce dramatically....

Reactions: Vostok
Heatwaves are exactly why govts should prioritise renewable power and batteries. Imagine every single person trying to cool by using AC in their home while the supply buckles under pressure (we have already seen enough evidence about this). Having a subsidised home battery + solar power or wind power will not only ensure that the pressure on suppliers is reduced. I have ZERO hope that this govt (both at vic state and fed) will do anything remotely useful.

Reactions: EcoCloudIT
Heatwaves are exactly why govts should prioritise renewable power and batteries. Imagine every single person trying to cool by using AC in their home while the supply buckles under pressure (we have already seen enough evidence about this). Having a subsidised home battery + solar power or wind power will not only ensure that the pressure on suppliers is reduced. I have ZERO hope that this govt (both at vic state and fed) will do anything remotely useful.
Unfortunately governments are ignoring the heat island in the major cities by refusing to deal with the ever expanding use of hard surfaces. Its making the additional heat a lot worse.
The interesting thing with solar, if you can cover your roof you are actually reducing your aircon needs as the roof is now shaded, and you are spot on regarding batteries and solar. In summer I can keep my home as cool as I choose with zero grid draw.

Unfortunately governments are ignoring the heat island in the major cities by refusing to deal with the ever expanding use of hard surfaces. Its making the additional heat a lot worse.
The interesting thing with solar, if you can cover your roof you are actually reducing your aircon needs as the roof is now shaded, and you are spot on regarding batteries and solar. In summer I can keep my home as cool as I choose with zero grid draw.
Ditto

It’s so annoying no one warned us about global warming.
What we need is special scientists to study the climate and give us advanced warning about these things.
If only our humble hard-working politicians had had this information sooner…