Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some initial impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the case of my house, I would walk away from the car to go into the house, but then walk into a room that is closer to the garage so the car probably views it like me walking back towards the car.

This system is probably better for people that live and work a distance away from where they park the car.

In the case of my house, I would walk away from the car to go into the house, but then walk into a room that is closer to the garage so the car probably views it like me walking back towards the car.

This system is probably better for people that live and work a distance away from where they park the car.

They may add adaptive squelch that tunes based on signal strength when the door handle is activated. May be leaning to the unlock early range vs "why won't my door unlock!!!!" range.

Now include people that don't really use computers and/or don't read online car forums...
( At that point they probably wouldn't be in the market for a Tesla )

Anyways, the T logo gives you a car info page with the odometer reading, VIN, and access to easter egg functions.

I wonder how many people would struggle to find the odometer in a Model 3. That is usually something part of the steering wheel gauge cluster, which doesn't exist in Model 3.
I’m 65
Pretty easy to find

Attachments

• B26972BD-8A91-4059-A307-1BC921CD9FD7.jpeg
    B26972BD-8A91-4059-A307-1BC921CD9FD7.jpeg
    519.2 KB · Views: 68
Ah there too... Not just in the "about my car" (Tesla logo button) screen...

That "swipe sideways to change the dot position" menu type is also a somewhat "newfangled" UI type that some of us old timers had to learn in modern times.
I guess they call it a "carousel". Dots or arrows?

@TEG You should be able to turn media off for the bluetooth connection to your Tesla. This should stop the car switching back to playing from your phone (as it should no longer see this as a source).
Haven't tried this but I know you can select profiles per bluetooth connection (at least on Android)

Ah there too... Not just in the "about my car" (Tesla logo button) screen...

That "swipe sideways to change the dot position" menu type is also a somewhat "newfangled" UI type that some of us old timers had to learn in modern times.
I guess they call it a "carousel". Dots or arrows?
These page indicators have existed on Android phones for a long time. Don't iPhones have something similar?

Yeah, the main iPhone apps page(s) are that style and scroll left / right to pick a page when you have multiple.
Again, people who have used SmartPhones for a while should find most of the model 3 UI to be quite familiar.

As you get older "long time" starts to have different meaning.
If you say "we have had that for 7 years now", that might not be "a long time" to some people.

This whole experience morphed into a discussion of UI design in a way I wasn't expecting.

I still never figured out a good way to make the sketchpad go away. I didn't see any [X] button to close it.

Maybe I am not aware of a necessary finger gesture to make it go away? Maybe I am supposed to "flick" it with multiple fingers or something?

It seems as people got used to gesture based UIs, some have gone perhaps too far and started to add specific multi-finger gestures... Like I see 3 and 4 finger ones here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027871/windows-10-touchpad-gestures
How To Use Touchscreen Gestures

I bet there are still some people who could get in a model 3 and wouldn't think to use the pinch in and pinch out gestures to change the map zoom.

The Model 3 UI team probably looked at various types of UI options and decided which ones were well known enough to be "fair game" to use in the car UI.

I was a Windows users for years before I got started on MacOS, and the biggest surprise to me was some needed touchpad gestures on MacOS I had never learned on Windows...

Even though I was a Windows user, when it came time to get a SmartPhone, I went with Apple iOS devices because I just found them easier to use.
The lack of consistency between Android apps was more frustrating. I still use Windows laptops mainly, but Apple phone products.

This whole experience morphed into a discussion of UI design in a way I wasn't expecting.

I still never figured out a good way to make the sketchpad go away. I didn't see any [X] button to close it.

Maybe I am not aware of a necessary finger gesture to make it go away? Maybe I am supposed to "flick" it with multiple fingers or something?

It seems as people got used to gesture based UIs, some have gone perhaps too far and started to add specific multi-finger gestures... Like I see 3 and 4 finger ones here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027871/windows-10-touchpad-gestures
How To Use Touchscreen Gestures

I bet there are still some people who could get in a model 3 and wouldn't think to use the pinch in and pinch out gestures to change the map zoom.

The Model 3 UI team probably looked at various types of UI options and decided which ones were well known enough to be "fair game" to use in the car UI.

I was a Windows users for years before I got started on MacOS, and the biggest surprise to me was some needed touchpad gestures on MacOS I had never learned on Windows...

Even though I was a Windows user, when it came time to get a SmartPhone, I went with Apple iOS devices because I just found them easier to use.
The lack of consistency between Android apps was more frustrating. I still use Windows laptops mainly, but Apple phone products.
Did you try your middle finger? That is the old school way.

I had noticed a faint rectangular discoloration on the dashboard in front of the driver...
I am guessing it was where they had left the card key folder sitting when the car was being stored outside in the lot before it got detailed and sent for delivery.
It may have been in the sun for a while and maybe the shadow, or heated up folder somehow caused the shade of black of the dashboard to be a bit different there.
Maybe the dashboard material is supposed to "breathe" for a while when new and got blocked.
Anyways, I hope someone from Tesla reads this and considers putting the card key folio somewhere else like maybe in the phone holder tray instead.

Reactions: zmarty

I walked away and then walked towards the garage. No matter what I do, my Model 3 never unlocks until I’m within 5 feet of the car, just like the Model S.

Anyways, the T logo gives you a car info page with the odometer reading, VIN, and access to easter egg functions.

I wonder how many people would struggle to find the odometer in a Model 3. That is usually something part of the steering wheel gauge cluster, which doesn't exist in Model 3.

The S has a gauge cluster and it confuses people who are in the industry. Appraiser had a hard time looking for it when our S needed repair.

I had noticed a faint rectangular discoloration on the dashboard in front of the driver...
I am guessing it was where they had left the card key folder sitting when the car was being stored outside in the lot before it got detailed and sent for delivery.
It may have been in the sun for a while and maybe the shadow, or heated up folder somehow caused the shade of black of the dashboard to be a bit different there.
Maybe the dashboard material is supposed to "breathe" for a while when new and got blocked.
Anyways, I hope someone from Tesla reads this and considers putting the card key folio somewhere else like maybe in the phone holder tray instead.
The dash "residue" discussed further in these two threads.

Delivery Inspection Item - Sticker Residue on Dashboard
Imprint on Dash

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
Another odd thing that happened... I opened the door to get out, then changed my mind and got back in before closing it. When I closed the door, everything in the car shut off (screen went blank), etc. It must have some logic to think if you open the door and get up then when the door closes it is time to power down. But somehow I confused it into shutting down when I was still in the car and expecting the screen to still be on ready to drive, etc. Maybe I need to have better training in the wake-up / shut-down procedures, or maybe the car needs some improved firmware for these kinds of cases. I noticed that there is a firmware update that the car will be accepting tonight, so maybe things will be better tomorrow.
Stuff like that has happened to me in my Model S countless times. I've had to sit outside my house for 3-5 minutes waiting for the car to reboot before being able to close my garage door, or leave a parking lot, etc.

Stuff like that has happened to me in my Model S countless times. I've had to sit outside my house for 3-5 minutes waiting for the car to reboot before being able to close my garage door, or leave a parking lot, etc.
I've stopped relying on the Homelink on Model 3 and use OpenGarage to do that for me now. I've had it not open or close all the way, or just not respond to make it reliable. If I use the app, works for me no matter where I am let alone next to my garage door.

Nothing is stopping you from driving if the car is rebooting from a parking area especially with a Model S if you have rebooting just the CID. Can't confirm for binnacle reboot.

Nothing is stopping you from driving if the car is rebooting

Want to bet? I have sat many times in a dead car that won't do jack squat for a few minutes until it reboots. I've also stood outside the car while that happened. One time, my child was sitting in the carseat and I had to wait, standing outside the car, for it to decide it's on and let me open the door.

Having a car that's a computer is not always a great idea.