Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some insight on TPM from my Service Advisor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a dumb question that I'm too lazy to research right now -- do the lower profile tires on the Tesla maybe fluctuate more than what other cars do? People seem to dismiss the fluctuation reason for not giving the reading, because their old car could do it, but maybe your old car has different tires with higher air volume or more rubber to spread out the heat gain or something, thus buffering the fluctuation...

But knowing how much it increases normally lets you also know when there is a change that warrants investigation.

Also, there is no reason why the UI that displays the individual readings couldn't state "39-50 is normal, depending on ambient temperature a miles driven since car was cold". That way, you are looking at a range before becoming "alerted" to a problem and those who want to have finer control could do so.

I can attest. I keep mine all at 50psi. Much better ride in my opinion, and better range too. the recommended pressures feel too squirly to me.

Anyways, since the radiator vents, well, vent directly on the front tires, on a hot day with the AC going, or supercharging during the summer time, I've measured the front tires MUCH hotter, and as much as 10 psi higher then the rears. It also will trip the over-pressure alert on the car.

So solution to that, I keep the fronts 1-3 PSI lower then the rears, Problem solved. I suppose, straight Nitrogen Fill would solve that, but my tires just leak too darn much. I add about 5lbs/week to all 4. Been like that since factory :(

Never had an over-pressure alert and never had front tires showing higher PSI than rears after extended driving. My tires hold pressure very well. They might lose 0.5 PSI in a month. I check pressure regularly, but rarely need to fill them up.

A few weeks ago while out cruising the back roads with some friends in my 2014 Stingray I noticed my right rear tire was losing pressure, I usually have my tire pressures displayed in the center LCD screen and during the cruise they inched up to 34 PSI (4 over recommended) but as soon as I saw my right rear start dropping from 34, to 33 to 32 PSI I called my buddies, alerted them a I had a problem and drove a bit until I found a safe place to park. By the time I found a save place to park this is what my display showed
IMG_20150503_162634_907_zpsqetunt3o.jpg

Sure enough I could see the head of a roofing nail. Since the Stingray has run flat tires I continued on to a NTB I located on my Nav and they fixed it for free. Had I not had run flats I would have had to make a tough decision, use the goop and air compressor, call for a tow or air it up and continue driving and repeat that process. As I said we were out on country roads on a Sunday afternoon things could have gotten stressful.

Even our Volt displays real time tire pressures.