TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Some insights on Robot tech Tesla Motors is using, NYTimes

Discussion in 'News' started by Zzzz..., Aug 27, 2012.

1. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

NY Times Advertisement

Not much, but still interesting.

Anyone know total number of robots in that factory?

2. Zextraterrestrial

enough to revolutionize American(all) car production!
    and...German made robots...US is screwed(still):biggrin:

you can count the robots from the factory tour videos. i think they were all there but not fully operational. There are some in the stamping line and most are in the welding/assembly i think. + seat and roof robots. It looked like there were 2 main assembly lines for the frames but i could be wrong. Several robots work on each step in the body assembly and some of them do a few things - because they are AWESOME!

3. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Z, that's not the scary part. Think about how many workers are in China's factories that are going to be displaced by robots within the next 5-10 years. Then what? When I mentioned this to a very intelligent fellow at a recent party, he said that every time in history, when there was too much human capital, it was used in warfare. So who will China go to war with to use up the human capital?

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I read the Canton Times and they said the Model S is hand built so I'm not sure who to believe now:smile:

5. Zextraterrestrial

#5 Zextraterrestrial, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Well. If I was China..i'd take out America then the EU..except China almost owns America so, just kick everyone out and take it - easy. 9/1 or something like that in population. At least 60% of the people around here are dumb as bricks and reproducing.eeek. to quote metallica -' kill 'em all ' I'm down to take a vacation in China while it's happening.

what we really need is an 'epidemic' man made or not.
    stop saving so many lives people, there are other animals(and species) to share the space with too you know?

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

While it's a dark mindset, it's not surprising. It addresses two problems at once: "excess population" and "leveraging your assets effectively".

I'll hold off saying more because the abortion topic sprang to my mind and I can't say anything positive on the topic with China in the same sentence.

7. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

#7 Zzzz..., Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    Why use German ones? There are Chinese robots out there, and production is on the rise. This company gone international already, with distribution and service center network across Asia. But there are others...
    While China robotic companies primarily concentrated on huge domestic market, just like in the case of cars, export is growing too...

Would be nice to see some of these helping to produce Teslas...

China robots 1.jpg China robots 2.jpg

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My understanding is that they got them from a factory that was shutting down for pennies on the dollar.

9. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Except we buy most of their products, they'd be taking out their customers.

10. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Solyndra used those kind of robots amd I read somewhere that Tesla bought them up.

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

And they have little robots too:
    IMG_0014-1.jpg

12. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

Elon probably saw the yard sale sign driving into work one day. :) (FYI, Solyndra is/was pretty much next door)