Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some miscellaneous observations after 10 days’ Model 3 ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I picked up the car (LR) on the 22nd last month at Bristol which was a largely positive experience. The car had just been washed and a guy was still screwing the number plates on while I was looking around it. The only issues I found were two doors slightly misaligned which I may get sorted in the future but it doesn’t bother me enough to make a specific service centre appointment.

Having read less than favourable reviews of Tesla paintwork, I was pleasantly surprised and couldn’t see any defects. However, I’ve just had the car ceramic coated (via AVA - Prestige Car Detailing near Ringwood) and James who runs the Company found two small defects – one you need to get unclose to even see and the other fairly hidden near the glass roof interface. James recommended the Kisho Premium Elite kit for best protection and he did an amazing job on both the paint work and my alloys. I’d post pictures but it hasn’t stopped raining since yesterday!

Charging via my Andersen charger has so far been a pain-free experience. Last night, I found out that going from 47 - 85% battery takes 3h 55min making good use of my Octopus Go 4-hour low-rate window.

The performance of the car is amazing and makes me realise how boring my previous Mercedes C200 was to drive. However, I’m not allowed to put my foot down when my other half is on board as it makes her feel sick. My daughter loves the acceleration.

I’m not that impressed with the steering wheel. It was cold and dry the other day and I found it quite slippery in my dry hands. Something I’ll get used to.

The boot (trunk) sill is made of plastic which I find is easily marked and going to suffer more unless extreme care is taken when loading and unloading heavy bags (unlikely). So, another accessary was required. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SM959S8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m a bit surprised that no puncture repair kit of any description is included so I’ve had to add my own. Not everywhere I go has a good mobile signal.

The above are only minor niggles and overall the car is an amazing performance and infotainment package. And, I’ve not had time to play with Auto pilot properly yet.

Happy new owner so far.

Interesting comment about the wheel, I guess I also keep my hands more at the quarter past 3 position to grip at the lumps, rather than 10 to 2. I've not found it an issue, it's far easier to avoid shuffling than my previous BMW.

423a7962ae8acc72fdde81bbac1e203b.jpeg

Here ya go...

I’m not that impressed with the steering wheel. It was cold and dry the other day
and I found it quite slippery in my dry hands. Something I’ll get used to.
For winter I would recommend getting some touchscreen gloves.
I found a pair made of very thin and soft material, but your choice depends of the weather you may experience.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MadScientist
I’m not that impressed with the steering wheel. It was cold and dry the other day and I found it quite slippery in my dry hands. Something I’ll get used to.

That's a curious one. I'm wondering if there has been some product applied to it? The steering wheel material on mine has never felt slippery at all. Is your steering wheel completely matt finish? (It should be unless something has been applied.) Since having the Model 3 I have driven 2 other cars with real leather steering wheels ... and I noted that both felt noticeably more slippy (one of them a bit sticky in comparison). I had been used to a leather steering wheel previously and fully expected to miss it ... but I now I find that I prefer what I've got.