Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

some Model S drivers are just jerks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I visit a lot of public chargers around the greater Los Angeles area. Most suffer the problem of being overused. Chargers near malls or busy places are always full. That's fine, it's great they are getting used. What upsets me is if I see people using these spots are premium parking instead of charging their car. As much as I hate to say but I see a lot of Model S parked in charging stations not even plugged it! How freaking ignorant and self centered can an EV owner be? It's really not exceptions, I see it all the time that Tesla owners do that.

I didn't even need to charge when I saw this again today, so I was fine, but it just upsets me to see this. I did talk to some people at the building, but none of them really seemed to care.

I sound like a broken record but the only way to fix this problem is to put charging stations in locations where it isn't the most convenient to park your car. Put chargers in the top level of parking structures. Put them further away from the main entrance. Don't put them in premium locations.

There have been several threads about this, most of them agreeing with you. I certainly do. I have no problem walking an extra hundred feet (or more) to have some level of confidence that the charging stations will be accessible because they are not convenient for normal parking.

that's a very good point... I would certainly be happy to walk a longer distance to use the charger... should not be an excuse for a "premium parking spot"

I visit a lot of public chargers around the greater Los Angeles area. Most suffer the problem of being overused. Chargers near malls or busy places are always full. That's fine, it's great they are getting used. What upsets me is if I see people using these spots are premium parking instead of charging their car. As much as I hate to say but I see a lot of Model S parked in charging stations not even plugged it! How freaking ignorant and self centered can an EV owner be? It's really not exceptions, I see it all the time that Tesla owners do that.

I didn't even need to charge when I saw this again today, so I was fine, but it just upsets me to see this. I did talk to some people at the building, but none of them really seemed to care.

I sound like a broken record but the only way to fix this problem is to put charging stations in locations where it isn't the most convenient to park your car. Put chargers in the top level of parking structures. Put them further away from the main entrance. Don't put them in premium locations.

I have been one of those jerks, kinda.

The Chargepoint EV station was out of order, yet I parked there anyway.

No-one else could've used it, and it was clearly marked as out of order, but someone probably still thought I was a douchebag.

129969639840.gif

I have been one of those jerks, kinda.

The Chargepoint EV station was out of order, yet I parked there anyway.

No-one else could've used it, and it was clearly marked as out of order, but someone probably still thought I was a douchebag.

I won't think that as long as you weren't the Model S owner at the D reveal event, informing me that you could cut in front of my sister's car because you owned a Model S. (I snorted.)

It wasn't you, right?

I won't think that as long as you weren't the Model S owner at the D reveal event, informing me that you could cut in front of my sister's car because you owned a Model S. (I snorted.)

It wasn't you, right?

lol no, I wasn't at the D Event, (wasn't invited)

got a taste of Valet at the Powerwall event, some of the attitudes were pretty poor.

I hate it when ev charging spots are in premium parking spots.
That said, I have been known to charge at such a spot, even though I don't NEED the charge, in order to get the premium spot.

In my area, I have never seen a full set of chargers (although I have heard this happens at the airport).
If it is the last spot, or if I hear of this happening frequently, I avoid the spots. Otherwise, I want people to see that EVs do exist, do use these spots, and I don't mind a better spot.

I think it is perfectly fine to use a charger even if you are not desperately in need. Topping off is good for the battery. Using chargers is good as the property owner sees they are getting used. Chargers should be used.

Yes running cables a long distance can increase cost, but it doesn't have to be the very far corner. In parking structures, the cost of going up 2 levels instead of the ground adds very little cost.

It's not just that close-in spaces are less expensive to run power to, the LEED "green building" people actually make the problem worse by giving points for reserving better parking spaces for "green" vehicles. I don't want a better parking space as a reward for driving an EV. I just want a charging station at a parking space, preferably as far away from the building as possible so it's not ICEd.

It's not just that close-in spaces are less expensive to run power to, the LEED "green building" people actually make the problem worse by giving points for reserving better parking spaces for "green" vehicles. I don't want a better parking space as a reward for driving an EV. I just want a charging station at a parking space, preferably as far away from the building as possible so it's not ICEd.
The non-charging Clean Air Vehicle spots, even here in CA, aren't doing anyone any favors either. I'm often surprised if I see even a hybrid in one. If you're not going to enforce it, don't bother.

I've noticed an uptick in bad behavior by Model S owners recently and I wonder if we're exiting the "everyone's friendly to one another early-adopter phase." Twice this month I've seen P85Ds straddling a parking spot so that it is taking up two charging stalls in a crowded garage. It boggles my mind there's one person who would do that, let alone two. Yesterday an S85 parked so close I had to enter from the passenger side. Frustrating.

I don't think this is true, everything I've read online seem to suggest 10%-70% SOC to maximize cycle life. I'll have more concrete data on this later on when I do my testing on a few Model S cells I have.

That is not what he meant. Topping off means plugging in at every opportunity to keep the charge and discharge cycles as shallow as possible. It does not necessrily mean always charging to 100 or even 90 percent. Even if one charge theoretically lasts you all week, you should still plug in every day.

That is not what he meant. Topping off means plugging in at every opportunity to keep the charge and discharge cycles as shallow as possible. It does not necessrily mean always charging to 100 or even 90 percent. Even if one charge theoretically lasts you all week, you should still plug in every day.

Here's an example: I have a 60kWh. Let's say I'm going on a trip that is 90 miles each way. I can make it there and back but that puts a 180-mile-deep discharge on the battery. Now, if I can charge at my destination and put another 60 miles back-on, instead of it being 180-miles-deep, now it's 120. This is healthier for the battery.