Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some more newbie question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Thanks for answering my newbie question so far. This forum is awesome and has been really helpful. I have a couple of more questions (I have a SR+ without FSD) :

1) How to do you set the navigation to only show turn by turn directions without voice? (i don't want the turn left here and turn right here sound from the speakers)?
2) I noticed that the navigation accurately predicts my arrival time (My drive to my destination is usually 45 minutes, but it was an hour 10 due to an accident and both the car navigation and google maps had the same route and the same arrival time. However google maps showed me the red lines along my route (areas where traffic is slow). The car maps navigation showed me all blue even though the time was accurately reflected. How do i set it to show slow traffic areas.
3) How do i enable child lock? I don't want kids to accidentally open the doors while driving. How do i enable child lock on one or both doors. I saw the option to prevent opening of windows, but did not see anything from the doors?
4) In the energy usage console, i saw that one could see energy usage/efficiency over 10, 25 and 50KMs (in Canada). How do i track lifetime energy usage?
5) My drive is mostly highway, how do i reduce the number of times autopilot asks me to put my hands on the steering wheel?

Thanks.

Sorry, one more question

6) My Wi-Fi does not reach the garage so i cannot connect the vehicle to WiFi. Is it ok not to connect to Wi-Fi ever?
7) I have Wi-Fi at work, but it will ask for me to login to a page and click on accept? Will i be able to connect to that Wi-Fi? If Yes, then where do i click to connect to the acceptable use page?

• Funny
Reactions: BZM3
1. I did it so long ago I don't remember the exact interface, but you should be able to mute the navigation volume from the Nav interface. Do you have a speaker icon in the turn directions header? Touch that.

2. You can't. That's one of the premium features that differentiate the SR+ from the LR models. Routing is for online with traffic data, but real time traffic on the screen and satellite imagery are premium features.

3. It'll be in a setup menu, I think the locking one but I'm not 100% sure.

4. There's no way to get a graph for lifetime usage from Tesla. You can use a data logger like TeslaFI, or set one of the trip odometers as lifetime and never reset it.

5. You can't. The driver has no control over how often the car prompts. The obvious answer is to keep a hand on the wheel off to one side so it knows you're their. Some folks have tried attaching a weight to the wheel, but that seems foolish and dangerous to me.

6. The only issue with not connecting to Wi-Fi ever is that you'll get firmware updates much later or possibly not at all.

7. No idea. Usually it shows up when you use a web browser, and the car does have one, so you could try that.

1) Turn the nav volume down. On the control panel or, when talking, the volume rotator.
2) It's in one of the display menus, I think
3) Don't know
4) Setup a Trip Odometer, but honestly, I don't think that it matters.
5) Keep your hands on the wheel with torque applied will reduce it to 0
6) WiFi required if you want updates
7) Kinda, supposedly you can hit the button in the web browser, but then you'd have to do it daily. Get some WiFi extenders.

Hello,
Thanks for answering my newbie question so far. This forum is awesome and has been really helpful. I have a couple of more questions (I have a SR+ without FSD) :

1) How to do you set the navigation to only show turn by turn directions without voice? (i don't want the turn left here and turn right here sound from the speakers)?
2) I noticed that the navigation accurately predicts my arrival time (My drive to my destination is usually 45 minutes, but it was an hour 10 due to an accident and both the car navigation and google maps had the same route and the same arrival time. However google maps showed me the red lines along my route (areas where traffic is slow). The car maps navigation showed me all blue even though the time was accurately reflected. How do i set it to show slow traffic areas.
3) How do i enable child lock? I don't want kids to accidentally open the doors while driving. How do i enable child lock on one or both doors. I saw the option to prevent opening of windows, but did not see anything from the doors?
4) In the energy usage console, i saw that one could see energy usage/efficiency over 10, 25 and 50KMs (in Canada). How do i track lifetime energy usage?
5) My drive is mostly highway, how do i reduce the number of times autopilot asks me to put my hands on the steering wheel?

Thanks.

1. There is a little gear icon when you are in a route and you can adjust the volume from there to turn it all the way down.
2. don't have an answer for this one.
3. It is under the Locks menu, there is a window lock and child lock option.
4. Rename one of your Trip meters to "Lifetime", and then never reset it.
5. Adjust how you are holding the steering wheel to ensure you maintain the correct turning pressure to prevent the "nags"
6. It is ok, however you won't get any map updates if you are not on wi-fi and your updates might be delayed, but it won't hurt anything.
7. Try it and find out...I don't know whether it will work or not.

In the energy usage console, i saw that one could see energy usage/efficiency over 10, 25 and 50KMs (in Canada). How do i track lifetime energy usage?
There are two trip odometers available, A and B. Use one of them as your “lifetime” odometer; don’t ever reset it. It will then show your overall Wh/mi.

My drive is mostly highway, how do i reduce the number of times autopilot asks me to put my hands on the steering wheel?
You do not have control over that. Just get used to it. If you do not apply a very slight torque (turning pressure) to the steering wheel you will get an alert every half mile traveled. When on AP, stay alert and focused on the road at all times.