Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some new 3s and Ys without USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't think you can wait a few months for some USB ports while you get to enjoy the AMAZING car, you should definitely cancel your order now. Remember, the alternative is THE ENTIRE CAR is delayed for months until they can source those parts. I'd much rather have the AMAZING car for those months, given I'm pretty confident Tesla would make good on the ports once they are back in stock.

Edit: I'm not excusing the lack of communication; Tesla is a bit of a chaotic company so it doesn't surprise me. But the chip shortage is very real -- I work in IT and it's making it extremely difficult to deliver any project for the next 18 months.

Is it possible to reject on this basis? I certainly wouldn’t be happy that ‘they may be fitted in the future’. Usb for me is essential for the rear seats
if it's true for the MIC cars, I would assume so as it's still a listed feature:

Convenience​

1. Power folding, auto-dimming, heated side mirrors
  2. Custom driver profiles
  3. Center console with storage, 4 USB-C ports and wireless charging for 2 smartphones

edit: just saw they're promising to retrofit (so not the same as passenger lumbar support), so assuming you get that in writing and can wait a bit, probably a bit extreme

Last edited:
Agreed that not informing customers is a BS move, but unfortunately very Tesla. Not just USB either, somer reports of no wireless charging pads.

On the plus side...at least they can easily be retrofitted and supposedly will be FOC when they are available.

Whereas other cars, are losing things such as Touch Screen's and there is no option to have them added later on.

Reactions: Wol747
so let’s assume your car gets delivered without usb… does that mean the centre console armrest has no sockets? or they are blanked off? Because if the console has no sockets, that’s a pretty big job to replace. I wouldn’t want my new car to be ripped apart to retrofit.

so let’s assume your car gets delivered without usb… does that mean the centre console armrest has no sockets? or they are blanked off? Because if the console has no sockets, that’s a pretty big job to replace. I wouldn’t want my new car to be ripped apart to retrofit.
Calm down dear! Do you really think Tesla will “rip apart “ your car in order to retrofit a missing component?

It’s a super simple job to remove the console. Tesla designed a lot of stuff to be easily manipulated.

The entire console can be removed from the car by unscrewing 6 easily accessed screws and disconnecting a CANBUS connector at the back.

This would definitely be a mobile ranger job and I don’t imagine it would take them more than 30 minutes. I replaced the USB hub on my car to upgrade it so I am familiar with the job (and if I can do it a ranger will do it with their eyes closed)

As remarked above, it’s just a little USB hub that would need to be added. Nothing particularly onerous. As I understand it is only the front ports (and wireless charger, which I presume plugs into the hub) that are affected. The rear ports have their own hub that is less complicated (as they are power only).

With an LR coming in early December I’m a little concerned by these reports. I don’t use the USB ports as a rule but if there’s no wireless charge pad I will be mightily pissed off.

Tesla really need to contact owners and tell them what is missing, if anything.

Not sure though that the supply chain is going to sort itself out any time soon.

With an LR coming in early December I
Same, Glasgow collection and I'm now pondering over NOT selling my car first (as I was going to) and Trading on collection day, so that if there is anything I'm nt too happy about, I can walk (or drive) away and still have my current car. I'm not sure how practical that would be or if I'd be able to physically see/inspect my car before handing over my keys.

I'm not just referring to a few missing USB ports but I do wonder what else will be missing [note to self to check for the spare wheel]:cool:

Would you rather Tesla did what Jaguar Landrover are doing? They are quoting 12 months for delivery of a new car. Would you really wait all that time to get a working USB hub rather than have it retrofitted.

There's also a standard 12v socket in the centre console, so if you really needed to charge your phone you could plug an adapter into that without going near anything USB.
[note to self to check for the spare wheel]:cool:
Good luck with that :)

Reactions: s88ats and Durzel
Is this really a story here in UK? Any evidence of lack of communication here when there appears nothing to communicate?

Its a US story until its not a US story, just like no radar in cars is a US story and 6 months or so later is still is a US story.

Its just confusing and possibly concerning buyers who have nothing to be worried about until the real story, if any emerges.

Tesla do change the spec of their cars from time to time, but they do update the configurator specs to reflect this, and when things have not been delivered as per the customers order specification or better they have put matters right. Said from experience of at least three items (off top of my head) not matching ordered spec that Tesla have fixed 100%, albeit needing a little nudge and/or time to do so. And historically, if spec changes were made to cars after ordering that were not going to be fixed, customers were notified and had the chance to cancel their order. I cannot recall anyone cancelling their order because they got a heat pump, longer range, black trim, or different wheels from what they ordered.