Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Newbie questions…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Recently moved to a Tesla Model Y after 3 happy years in the Jaguar iPace - and whilst there are lots of things I like about the Tesla the UI is one that I am still getting used to and have a few questions that I wondered if people could help with (Not sure if its a functionality thing or a user fail):

(1) Cruise control - I can activate this using the RH stalk, bit once its set how do you change the speed? Also it seems to reduce the max speed itself (when going round a tight bend) but doesn’t go back? Can it be set to automatically follow the camera read limits?

(2) Speed limiter function - does it have one? The Jaguar could be set to automatically read speed limits and adjust a speed limiter function - I found it useful to make sure you don’t drift over the limit when in unfamiliar areas (and given the speed readout on the Tesla is nowhere near as prominent / in eye line this is more beneficial)

(3) Weather - the Jaguar could display live weather data (home / current / destination). Other than trying to access the browser I cannot see a way of doing this in the Tesla)

(4) Customisable display - cannot find anyway of changing what is on the screen to suit your personal needs ie. having a smaller map / bigger audio display etc at the same time.

(5) Music inforation - when using DAB I cannot seem to find a way to display the information (Station graphic, name of the track or presenter etc)? You can get a tiny bit (2 or 3 wordo) using TuneIn, but still way below what I’d like?

Hello all,

Recently moved to a Tesla Model Y after 3 happy years in the Jaguar iPace - and whilst there are lots of things I like about the Tesla the UI is one that I am still getting used to and have a few questions that I wondered if people could help with (Not sure if its a functionality thing or a user fail):

(1) Cruise control - I can activate this using the RH stalk, bit once its set how do you change the speed? Also it seems to reduce the max speed itself (when going round a tight bend) but doesn’t go back? Can it be set to automatically follow the camera read limits?

(2) Speed limiter function - does it have one? The Jaguar could be set to automatically read speed limits and adjust a speed limiter function - I found it useful to make sure you don’t drift over the limit when in unfamiliar areas (and given the speed readout on the Tesla is nowhere near as prominent / in eye line this is more beneficial)

(3) Weather - the Jaguar could display live weather data (home / current / destination). Other than trying to access the browser I cannot see a way of doing this in the Tesla)

(4) Customisable display - cannot find anyway of changing what is on the screen to suit your personal needs ie. having a smaller map / bigger audio display etc at the same time.

(5) Music inforation - when using DAB I cannot seem to find a way to display the information (Station graphic, name of the track or presenter etc)? You can get a tiny bit (2 or 3 wordo) using TuneIn, but still way below what I’d like?

a) Use right scoll wheel up or down, 1 mph if done slowly, 5mph if done fast, eg spin, spin when going from 30 to 40.

b) If the picture of the speed limit is correct on screen, press it.

c) Tap brake, / right stalk up - then re-engage

d) There are settings - I use the one that sets speed to current (rather than picture/detected)

1662986409071.png

I just use the Tesla-provided speed as a guide - er why is it 30 or 70 when I know it should be.... Often wrong, too fast or too slow. Could improve at any time with a software update, so here's hoping.

No idea other than outside temperature - Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla - wipers - I tend to leave them on automatic/off and then click in the left stalk and then set to off/auto/manual if not happy - some people use voice commands Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Pull up audio/climate control/energy from below. Add as a button on the quick menu -

half pull up media from bottom?

2) Tesla don't have something that prevents you going above the speed limit, but i can sounds an annoying bong when you do if you configure it. It's called Speed Assist in the manual

3) Not a thing on Tesla, look out the window.

4) The media player has a button at it's top right that allows is to have 3 different sizes on the screen allowing you to control how much of the map to see

5) See 4

Reactions: Toblerone
(1) Cruise control - ..... Also it seems to reduce the max speed itself (when going round a tight bend) but doesn’t go back? Can it be set to automatically follow the camera read limits?

This is something supremely irritating called "fleet speed" and also leads to ridiculous slowing when motorways cross or merge with other motorways

(2) Speed limiter function - does it have one?

Nope. There's a thread here with about five million posts asking "How do we persuade Tesla to give us a speed limiter?". They seem disinclined to do it and it's exquisitely irritating.

There isn't one, and it's magnificently irritating. And the "mini" media player disappears of its own volition half the time giving you a map the size of a cocktail cabinet globe and a visualisation of what you can, er, see out the window

(5) Music information - when using DAB I cannot seem to find a way to display the information (Station graphic, name of the track or presenter etc)? You can get a tiny bit (2 or 3 wordo) using TuneIn, but still way below what I’d like?

Once in a blue moon the "RDS" text will scroll but it's in such tiny font it's useless anyway. (And despite what @GRiLLA says, the font doesn't change size with the media player). It's monumentally irritating.

All in all, Tesla is not a company that is open to the idea that the customer is always right, so what the customer wants the customer gets. Which, to an extent, I understand, but when it comes to the things you've described, all of which make the driving experience less satisfactory, (and you wait until it rains and you try the auto wipers), overall I find to be quite irritating.

Thanks for the responses so far - the forum is a brilliant source of information.

The car does so much right (performance, handling, range, charging, navigation system, level of spec etc) but the one area I really expected it to be amazing was the UI and tech side. When I was doing a pro/con assessment when I got the iPace (considered the M3 at the time) I assumed that the tech would be one of the downsides for the iPace.

It’s early days so opinion will change, but I admit I am a little disappointed in the UI and technology in the car. Feel it lacks the customisation of a lot of others cars (the iPace has 3 screens that can show a variety of information depending on what you want to see; the Polestar system is brilliant etc) and some simple functionality that is pretty standard (limiter for example).

That said, a lot of this stuff is the stuff that you get used to when you change brands (felt similar irks when I went from BMW to Jaguar - I missed the customisable hotkeys for example), and the storage space, range and charging are huge upsides. And the Netflix / games / toy box are providing huge entertainment for the 5 year old.

On that point, after we test drove the Model Y, we went to have a look at the Taycan (it was available on a surprisingly good deal at the time) and the salespersons face / response when my little boy asked him where is the ’fart button’ and ‘can it play Mario Kart?‘ (aka the buggy game) was brilliant.

It’s definitely firmer, but have the 19s on the Tesla and had 20s on the iPace.

Reviews about the “crashy” ride were a concern - but a short test drive seems to indicate it was OK.

I have mostly driven hard suspension cars (M Sport BMWs etc) so at the moment it’s not quite as good but good enough.

The iPace is an amazing car - the real world range of 230/240 being it’s main flaw for the size of battery.