Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some newbie questions about the UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I am about to drive the S85D for work, I've been trying it out for a bit but there's a few quirks that I really hope I can work out.

The thing where the door handles pull themselves in, is there a way to limit that to only when moving? Right now, when I put the car in P the door handles come out but then they go back in after a minute or so. Very annoying as I need to keep pressing on the P button to fold them out all the time. Optimal would be if the door handles could be always out as long as the car is standing still regardless of P, D, R etc.

Is there any other way to control the passenger seat other than the physical buttons on the seat? Can I not set it using the screen? Right now, when a passenger asks me to move it I will either need to get out the car and to the other side and push the buttons or try to do it from my drivers position which is extraordinarily uncomfortable and will likely strain my shoulders in the long run. Since the car has memory seats, is there no way to recall memory positions for the passenger side as well So I can switch between that seat being far back and far front depending on where I have the passenger?

Thanks

Hey guys,

I am about to drive the S85D for work, I've been trying it out for a bit but there's a few quirks that I really hope I can work out.

The thing where the door handles pull themselves in, is there a way to limit that to only when moving? Right now, when I put the car in P the door handles come out but then they go back in after a minute or so. Very annoying as I need to keep pressing on the P button to fold them out all the time. Optimal would be if the door handles could be always out as long as the car is standing still regardless of P, D, R etc.

Is there any other way to control the passenger seat other than the physical buttons on the seat? Can I not set it using the screen? Right now, when a passenger asks me to move it I will either need to get out the car and to the other side and push the buttons or try to do it from my drivers position which is extraordinarily uncomfortable and will likely strain my shoulders in the long run. Since the car has memory seats, is there no way to recall memory positions for the passenger side as well So I can switch between that seat being far back and far front depending on where I have the passenger?

Thanks
Sorry, but I don't think you can do either of those requests.

With the door handles, I think you are missing out on the "cool" factor of having the door handles present themselves when a passenger approaches.

On your first question, there is no way to keep door handles extended after sitting in Park for a while. You need to manually extend the handles by pressing the Park button again when needed. This is designed so that if you Park the car the door handles do not remain extended. I agree when waiting to pick up passengers needing to press the button to extend the handles can be an annoyance.

The front passenger seat in a Model S cannot be controlled from the center screen, only the controls physically on the seat.

Both of these answers apply right now and on my car. These are features can be added I would think if there was enough interest.

Sorry, but I don't think you can do either of those requests.

With the door handles, I think you are missing out on the "cool" factor of having the door handles present themselves when a passenger approaches.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the door handles thing is cool and all but it gets old quick. Really wish you could set it so that timer never happened and you just decide wether the handles should stay in or out.

Is there no way to work around the passenger seat issue? Can I create another driver profile where that seat is pulled forward and switch between them maybe? As it is now this car is very hostile towards professional drivers in that regard and many other high end cars have a button in the back seat to push the front seat forward etc.

Yeah the Model S is not designed for limo service like you can option an S Class for example. It is not really designed for this service at this point.

Passenger seat settings are not retained in Driver profiles.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the door handles thing is cool and all but it gets old quick. Really wish you could set it so that timer never happened and you just decide wether the handles should stay in or out.

Is there no way to work around the passenger seat issue? Can I create another driver profile where that seat is pulled forward and switch between them maybe? As it is now this car is very hostile towards professional drivers in that regard and many other high end cars have a button in the back seat to push the front seat forward etc.
There is no way in the UI to work around these issues, and your thread title specified a UI solution...

I'm sure it would be possible to work around these issues in other ways. People have had problems with their door handles not retracting, and had the Service Center replace them. Probably a way to artificially induce that failure.

I would imagine it would be possible to tap into the seat switch to be able to remotely move the seat.