TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Some numbers on a trip I did today

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by cinergi, Jun 24, 2012.

1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Figured more of this type of information will help future Model S owners ...

I drove 154 miles today (2 hours, 40 minutes). Used 38.9 kWh of battery (253 Wh/mi).
    When I left, the Roadster indicated 189 Ideal Miles (IM) and 130 Estimated Miles (EM) (of range remaining). When I returned, I had 22 Ideal Miles and 19 Estimated Miles. This was all in standard mode. The first half (literally) of the trip, I drove 60-65 MPH to be safe on the range. When I came back, I knew I was doing OK so I drove 80 MPH as much as I could. This was with the top off and no HVAC, 80 degrees F ambient.

I "used" (189 - 22) 167 IM to go 154 actual miles. And a lot of that was well over 55 MPH. My 130 EM initial range was based on previous aggressive driving and using the A/C and so not terribly useful for the trip.

During the trip, I watched both IM and EM. After having driven 40 miles (that's what the EM is based off of -- your last 40 miles of driving) at 60-65 MPH, EM and IM were within 10% of each other, so I knew I was doing well. I knew if I continued driving like that, I'd have a total round-trip capacity of 170 miles (and I knew my trip about was 150). And guess what -- I had 20 miles left when I returned -- even after coming back at 80 MPH. And if something weird happened, I also knew I could go into range mode and "acquire" another 20-25 miles of range just in case.

Here's what shows up on the screen in the Roadster. The Model S stuff will likely be even more thorough.

photo (1).JPG

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Thanks for this. Hopefully the Model S computer is equally accurate -- and that we'll be seeing a lot of impressive real world numbers

3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I think it says a lot about the Roadster, and the confidence owners have in the IM and EM readings, that you'd do this trip in standard (not range) mode.

Thanks for the info. Most useful.

4. todd6678

todd6678 Member

Thanks cinergi , that's some great info and exactly what I was looking for.

5. richkae

richkae VIN587

It wasn't today, it was late last year. But I got some pretty impressive numbers on a long drive last year:
    longrange.png

6. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

.......and you took the picture with which hands????

7. richkae

richkae VIN587

The picture was taken by a cellphone in my left hand.

That was a trip from Redmond,Wa to Paradise, Mt. Rainier and back, a 192 mile roundtrip. Paradise is at 5400 feet.
    That photo was taken during the descent.

8. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

For safety reasons, Model S should have a button on the touch screen "post screen shot of my trip counter to TMC, add location, elevation, and my favorite bragging line to it."

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

+1 ...

10. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Sounds like a job for an app using the SDK!

11. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Maybe just a Screenshot w/ GPS tag button. Then just browse to TMC and upload the file w/ comments and annotations.