Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some observations on 2019.12 (AP 2.0)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
1) Wipers work significantly better than in 2018.50.6

2) I haven't seen any more garbage characters in the Nav display - yet. This started happening in 50.6 late in its tenure.

3) Auto-lane-change has a trick that I haven't seen anyone mention before: you have to jiggle the steering wheel when prompted in the process of an auto-lane change for it to be completed. This is regardless of how recently you had to jiggle for the every-40-second-prompt cycle. I was really frustrated trying auto-lane-change for the first time in Seattle downtown traffic - it didn't seem to be working or it tried to make a lane change too late to catch an exit. Then I realized that AP has to get the driver's permission to proceed via a jiggle. Knowing this, auto-lane-change actually works very well.

4) I have had AP running and approached a few traffic light intersections, and I see no evidence that AP is sensing red traffic lights and slowing/stopping the vehicle. This is without another vehicle ahead and stopping.

5) The vehicle under AP still strays into freeway on-ramp lanes when driving in the right lane. Here in Washington, there aren't dashed lane markings for the entire on-ramp lane, and AP tries to center the vehicle in the suddenly-wider lane. Sometimes, the vehicle moves completely over into the on-ramp lane, then guides back into the freeway right lane at the end of the on-ramp.

6) AP now seems to better manage lane control in sharply-curved freeway on-ramps/off-ramps. Under 50.6, the vehicle would hug the inside of the curve too tightly, over-run the inside lane marker and drive on the shoulder briefly.

7) AP will still initiate and operate while driving on the wrong side of a marked, two-lane road. This is a long-time, pet-peave of mine. I envision some drunk driver in a Tesla ending up driving on the wrong side of a two-lane road, initiating AP as a driving aid, and having a head-on collision with some innocent driver. National localization could be used to keep AP off-line when driving on the wrong side of the road, or sound an alarm when the driver crosses the centerline into on-coming traffic.

8) In Nav, Google map images still load and refresh faster than the simpler, road-only map images. ???

9) Tesla has FINALLY improved the graphics on the night-time map images to make at least some text call-outs white and easier to read. The "minor" callouts, like street names, are still in this terrible grey, non-outlined font that blends into the road colors.

10) The vehicle is STILL NOT READING SPEED LIMIT SIGNS. I've seen comments, particularly in YouTube videos claiming this is happening. It isn't, at least on my AP 2 vehicle.

11) I have noticed that the driver display comes up slower than the Nav display when I get into the vehicle. It used to come up just as fast.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
4) I have had AP running and approached a few traffic light intersections, and I see no evidence that AP is sensing red traffic lights and slowing/stopping the vehicle. This is without another vehicle ahead and stopping.

10) The vehicle is STILL NOT READING SPEED LIMIT SIGNS. I've seen comments, particularly in YouTube videos claiming this is happening. It isn't, at least on my AP 2 vehicle.
4. That feature of stopping at red lights has not been released to the public at all. If you find youtube videos of it in action, it is someone who has hacked their vehicle to enable a feature that is only for development purposes at this stage.

10. People who think the vehicle is reading speed signs are being fooled by geofenced locations based on map data which tell the vehicle max speed limits, and autopilot will automatically reduce the speed there and say something like "speed is limited to X km/h" in those locations. Speed limit sign reading is in the full self drive demo video but there is no sign of if/when it is coming to AP at all.

I have 12.2.2 in a 2018 MX with FSD and I still haven't seen any evidence that the system is detecting stop lights. I understand that it won't stop vehicle, but the release notes state that it should be detecting stop lights for advisory purposes only.

I have 12.2.2 in a 2018 MX with FSD and I still haven't seen any evidence that the system is detecting stop lights. I understand that it won't stop vehicle, but the release notes state that it should be detecting stop lights for advisory purposes only.
Yes if you are at 35 speed and the trafic lights is red and you don't break you have the red Indicator hand on wheel on our screen with loud bipppp

D31E553D-773D-4A0E-A939-3A2D9B3556E0.jpeg
Well, $&@#. I’m seeing garbled text again with 2019.12.1.1. Really disappointing. Only saw this when I called up the charging page. Didn’t see this with 12.1.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
5) The vehicle under AP still strays into freeway on-ramp lanes when driving in the right lane. Here in Washington, there aren't dashed lane markings for the entire on-ramp lane, and AP tries to center the vehicle in the suddenly-wider lane. Sometimes, the vehicle moves completely over into the on-ramp lane, then guides back into the freeway right lane at the end of the on-ramp.
This remains my biggest frustration with AP2.0.

My Model S with AP1.0 does much better in these situations than my wife's Model X with AP2.0.

AP1.0 switches to following the left lane marker when the lane suddenly goes wide, rather than centering itself.

Reactions: forkee