Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some of my energy missing from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Tesla solar system for almost 2 years now. PTO was in December 2020, install completed in October 2020.
I intentionally left a couple of high power items off of the battery back up panel, and kept them on the original house panel, e.g. the AC and oven. I figured we could do without the AC and oven in a blackout, and didn't want them to be accidentally used during a blackout and drain our two Powerwalls.
The installer (3rd party, not a Tesla employee) said there was a device to add to the wiring that would allow the Tesla system to still monitor all the energy usage of the house, but that he didn't have them, but that he informed Tesla and they (presumably Tesla, not him) would install them when they were in stock.
I forgot about this for a while, but recently have been trying to reconcile some of my energy usage data, and now realize that this never happened; the part(s) were never installed.
My system works, but I can't reconcile all my energy data, and I think this missing part is why.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and what the part is called? I'd like to ask Tesla specifically for it. I find that when I tell a story (like above) they get confused, and the ensuing text chain drives me nuts. :)
So figured I'd ask some normal humans first. :D

Sounds to me like you never had a CT installed on the circuit that is still in the main panel. I dont think Tesla is going to come out and install that for you on an install they did not do, however. You need to go back to your installer, which you said was "not tesla" and ask them about it.

Reactions: seenhear
They are called CTs (current transformers). They need to add a seton those circuits that is measure with your home load input.

On that attached picture my wall charger (left 100 amp breaker) is my only grid side device. The other breaker is my backup loads. The CTs are those square looking things around the big red and black cables. The little wires go to a input on the backup panel.

This way when the car chargers, the load is added to the home load. If the grid is off, nothing is added of course.

20220118_110334.jpg

Reactions: seenhear
Sounds to me like you never had a CT installed on the circuit that is still in the main panel. I dont think Tesla is going to come out and install that for you on an install they did not do, however. You need to go back to your installer, which you said was "not tesla" and ask them about it.
System was purchased from Tesla. It's a Tesla system with a Tesla warranty, is supported by Tesla, and my money was taken by Tesla. The installer was a 3rd party contractor, not a Tesla employee. This is quite common. I wouldn't know how to find them if I tried, other than asking Tesla.

System was purchased from Tesla. It's a Tesla system with a Tesla warranty, is supported by Tesla, and my money was taken by Tesla. The installer was a 3rd party contractor, not a Tesla employee. This is quite common. I wouldn't know how to find them if I tried, other than asking Tesla.

Ahh, I misunderstood. Your description above is a tesla system, it doesnt matter if the person installing it was a tesla employee or not. It sounded like you had a third party install, not a tesla install. So, you are right, you need to go back to tesla for this.

Hope that works out, especially since its been a while.