Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some of us want to hear our Subwoofer more than we hate road noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does yours have the sealed deck or the earlier ported design? I can't hear the sub at all without fading the speakers to full rear, bass slider up or otherwise.

Tim
Mine was one of the first AWD back in summer 2018 so it has the hole. I turn the slider up to the top and I have to lower it back down. It rocks the car too much. Funny thing is that I remember back then people were complaining about that being "not finished" looking. Now people want it! LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: JBT66 and TBrownTX
Mine was one of the first AWD back in summer 2018 so it has the hole. I turn the slider up to the top and I have to lower it back down. It rocks the car too much. Funny thing is that I remember back then people were complaining about that being "not finished" looking. Now people want it! LOL.
I get the "not finished looking" complaint. I'm probably going to address that soon in mine.

Reactions: JBT66 and TBrownTX
I bet some owners of older Model 3s would prefer the new rear deck. How about a swap thread to find locals who think your grass is greener? :)

I'm not sure yet if I want this tradeoff...but now I'm definitely interested to compare the audio system sound of my 2021 with an older 3 at some point. No rush for it though, already the bass is better than in my last 2-3 cars. (Yeah, yeah, I clearly had low standards there.)

Reactions: TBrownTX
All I know is I can put my seat down and finally listen to Thunderstruck as it’s meant to be heard. Sorry passengers, you’ll have to catch another ride.

Tim

"Hey Tim can we score a ride?"

"Sorry my back seats are down."

"Yeah, but can't you just ..."

"Thunderstruck"

"Umm, I'm not sure what that ... we could really use a ride."

"I SAID THUNDERSTRUCK M*****F***** !!"

Installed the nvx woofer kit in Nov 2021 for my LR model 3, its been great until today. Does this sound like a blown speaker?!?
Hard to tell from the video but it sounds like the voice coil former came loose from the cone at the neck joint, causing it to hammer the cone. This would make a noise like that. So yes, blown speaker if that's the case.

Last edited:
NVX is sending me a replacement, but do you think it could've been blown because of amp settings? It's not turned up crazy high or anything. I may need to borrow someone's nvx amp settings...
Barring a factory defect, improper glue job or improper glue used, I've seen it happen when the former gets hot enough to melt and deform the plastic cone neck joint. Usually this is with an aluminum former/plastic cone combination and heavy use over time. I don't know much about that system so it's hard to say what exactly caused it to fail. If you have a sealed trunk, you need to turn it up pretty loud to hear it so you my be driving it harder than you think.

so weird. It is working fine now. I had a software update the other day (first time Ive driven since the update this morning) and noticed on the eq sub and bass go up to 6, for a while they had "booming" or weird funny names like that, maybe it was a software snafu (eq set at a higher range than current software allowed)? But sounds fine now... so strange.

so weird. It is working fine now. I had a software update the other day (first time Ive driven since the update this morning) and noticed on the eq sub and bass go up to 6, for a while they had "booming" or weird funny names like that, maybe it was a software snafu (eq set at a higher range than current software allowed)? But sounds fine now... so strange.
That's good. It was really hard to tell in that vid, but it sounded exactly like a separated coil.

I'm not sure if most people know that the rear deck change was done in stages. They originally had a hole in the metal that was covered by a mesh grille (basically what I reverted to). Tesla then sealed the hole in the cover, below the mesh grille, but left the hole in the metal. Eventually they closed up the metal and changed the Rear Package Tray cover to only have 2 grilles over the rear speakers. As you now know, the difference between the original with the hole and now with a completely sealed trunk is very noticeable when it comes to hearing the output of the subwoofer.
The woofers in the doors perform exceptionally well and might be enough for most but, especially at lower volumes, the system really lacks, lower bass reinforcement. Depending on your EQ settings, the sub level control and unsealing the trunk (dropping the seat or porting the deck) really helps.

TBrownTX, I quoted you but this post was more to educate others since you've already experienced get this. 👍
So if I'm understanding your process, you cut a hole in the metal rear deck, then procured an earlier deck cover with only mesh (on the right in the first pic). Is that correct? Is the one on the left in the first pic your original? It looks like there is still a smaller mesh-covered opening in that one.

BTW, I'm just down the road from you - would love to pay you to help me with this mod sometime. :)