Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some of us want to hear our Subwoofer more than we hate road noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if I'm understanding your process, you cut a hole in the metal rear deck, then procured an earlier deck cover with only mesh (on the right in the first pic). Is that correct? Is the one on the left in the first pic your original? It looks like there is still a smaller mesh-covered opening in that one.

BTW, I'm just down the road from you - would love to pay you to help me with this mod sometime. :)
The older rear deck is on the left. I labeled it below so you can see the differences. Sometime around 2019 they filled the hole and changed the grill mesh from a single piece that covered the hole and 2 speakers, to 2 separate pieces that only covered the speakers (since the hole is now gone).
I found a pristine rear deck on Ebay (around $250), Switched the brake light from mine to the older deck cover and cut the hole in the metal.

This is not something I'm willing to do for others since I don't work for a shop and therefor wouldn't be covered by shop insurance if anything went wrong. Any experienced custom car stereo shop could do it very easily though.
FYI.. I was considering just making a custom grill and cutting my current deck cover rather than buying the older cover. The time it would've taken me to do anything I'd be satisfied with, $250 for the rear deck and a completely factory look was worth it to me.

REAR DECKS.png

After picking up my M3LR I found that the sound system sounded ok but the bottom end was lacking at lower volumes. I actually tweeted Elon to ask if we could get a separate Sub level control of possibly an advance 15 or 13 band EQ option. A little over a month later we got the sub level control in the holiday update! It helped but there was still an issue. They closed up the vent in the rear deck sealing the sub in the trunk. I decided I needed to change it back. I purchased an older rear deck cover on EBay and went to work. A few hours later and it’s much better!

View attachment 753843
View attachment 753845
View attachment 753846
View attachment 753848
View attachment 753849

Yes, Tesla did it b/c of your Tweet. I'm sure of it. 😂

Hey, I asked and they did it. So until Elon tweets and says that it wasn't because of my tweet, I'm going with it. 🤣
I guess the tongue in cheek may not have come through enough in the original post, but if we get advanced EQ settings in a near future update... :oops:😂

I hear ya...good luck with your warranty as I'm sure they have screen shots of your post. LOL

I get the "not finished looking" complaint. I'm probably going to address that soon in mine.
Thanks for sharing this mod, I'm definitely considering doing it. Couldn't figure out why the bass sounded so muffled in my 2022 compared to my 2019...
Few questions:
1) what material did you use to cover the rough edge where you cut the metal?
2) have you actually noticed a difference in road noise with the hole cutout?
3) following up on your comment about making it look more finished just out of curiosity. I don't think the hole looks bad and no one even sees it 95% of the time since it's on the roof of the trunk.

Thanks for sharing this mod, I'm definitely considering doing it. Couldn't figure out why the bass sounded so muffled in my 2022 compared to my 2019...
Few questions:
1) what material did you use to cover the rough edge where you cut the metal?
2) have you actually noticed a difference in road noise with the hole cutout?
3) following up on your comment about making it look more finished just out of curiosity. I don't think the hole looks bad and no one even sees it 95% of the time since it's on the roof of the trunk.

1. I used some "Edge Trim" that I had leftover from another project. Just search Amazon for "Edge Trim"
  2. Yes, there seems to be a bit more noise. I think I can hear the wine of the motor more and you can hear things in the trunk if they rattle or crinkle. The trade off is worth it for me personally. Maybe ride with your back seats opened a few inches and see if you are ok with it.
  3. Yeah I've basically just left it.
Soon I'm going to experiment by putting a ported enclosure with a 10" woofer hooked to the stock amplifier to see how it sounds, just haven't had the time.

1. I used some "Edge Trim" that I had leftover from another project. Just search Amazon for "Edge Trim"
  2. Yes, there seems to be a bit more noise. I think I can hear the wine of the motor more and you can hear things in the trunk if they rattle or crinkle. The trade off is worth it for me personally. Maybe ride with your back seats opened a few inches and see if you are ok with it.
  3. Yeah I've basically just left it.
Soon I'm going to experiment by putting a ported enclosure with a 10" woofer hooked to the stock amplifier to see how it sounds, just haven't had the time.
Awesome thanks for the quick response! I've already been driving with the seats down the past few days to see the difference and it's pretty noticeable in terms of bass. Will keep an eye out for a rear deck from pre-2019. Should be the same on the 2022s I assume. Any difference between the trims (mid range, LR, performance) from a fitment perspective?

Reactions: TBrownTX
Awesome thanks for the quick response! I've already been driving with the seats down the past few days to see the difference and it's pretty noticeable in terms of bass. Will keep an eye out for a rear deck from pre-2019. Should be the same on the 2022s I assume. Any difference between the trims (mid range, LR, performance) from a fitment perspective?
I don't think there is any difference besides maybe missing speakers possibly on the lower trim. Mine is a '22 so yeah Pre 2019 fits on '22.

Reactions: jonjon09
I don't think there is any difference besides maybe missing speakers possibly on the lower trim. Mine is a '22 so yeah Pre 2019 fits on '22.
When you say pre 2019, would the 2019 version that still had the mesh top but added the foam underneath work? Not sure if possible to cut the hole in the foam similar to how you cut the metal or if it is somehow attached to the mesh. You can even see the hole outline on the foam (see picture).
Screenshot_20220705-215302~2.png

When you say pre 2019, would the 2019 version that still had the mesh top but added the foam underneath work? Not sure if possible to cut the hole in the foam similar to how you cut the metal or if it is somehow attached to the mesh. You can even see the hole outline on the foam (see picture).View attachment 825192
Yeah that would work fine. The textile is relatively easy to cut. A steady hand with a sharp utility knife is all you need.

Reactions: jonjon09