Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some of us want to hear our Subwoofer more than we hate road noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After picking up my M3LR I found that the sound system sounded ok but the bottom end was lacking at lower volumes. I actually tweeted Elon to ask if we could get a separate Sub level control of possibly an advance 15 or 13 band EQ option. A little over a month later we got the sub level control in the holiday update! It helped but there was still an issue. They closed up the vent in the rear deck sealing the sub in the trunk. I decided I needed to change it back. I purchased an older rear deck cover on EBay and went to work. A few hours later and it’s much better!

34CBB8E7-EBBB-4D88-AB26-451D76707509.jpeg

3A461B4A-080A-411D-9A66-D7FB672F410F.jpeg

0D6C2493-8A74-4B7C-A3F4-8B70267F483D.jpeg

0BC42E84-C29F-4320-ABBE-3EBCF1F0465D.jpeg

DAA8F464-4BE1-498F-A3B8-9ECA5D7A1FA6.jpeg

Attachments

• DF56DAEF-8BD0-40DB-8819-28CF1FF1E088.jpeg
    DF56DAEF-8BD0-40DB-8819-28CF1FF1E088.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 30C73986-C805-4ED9-AC0C-F6D5A8E0184F.jpeg
    30C73986-C805-4ED9-AC0C-F6D5A8E0184F.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 138
I was just thinking one could pull the sub from its box and stick it in that opening, run it free-air style and use the whole trunk as the box?
Free air or infinite baffle is rarely something I'd recommend. You need such a low FS that you're really stuck with needing a large woofer. Pulling that 8" out of the enclosure and running infinite baffle would likely result in poor results and a destroyed woofer. You could possibly cheat and offset mount it below a smaller opening that it fires through to help load and control the Sub but not really worth it for an 8.

Reactions: rpiotro
There is a significant difference when moving the slider... It is very noticeable

Just tried this, and yes, it’s very noticeable.

Still, rears/sub are way drowned out by the fronts, even with the slider back a good ways. It’s better with the passenger side seat down. Maybe I’ll be attempting this same mod.

At least for my ‘21, sub is anemic with the seat up.

Tim

Last edited:
Just tried this, and yes, it’s very noticeable.

Still, rears/sub are way drowned out by the fronts, even with the slider back a good ways. It’s better with the passenger side seat down. Maybe I’ll be attempting this same mod.

At least for my ‘21, sub is anemic with the seat up.

Tim
Yeah I tried it with the seat down before deciding to cut it. The sealed rear deck really stops you from hearing the sub. I wish I would’ve run the RTA curves before modding to see the dB difference.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Free air or infinite baffle is rarely something I'd recommend. You need such a low FS that you're really stuck with needing a large woofer. Pulling that 8" out of the enclosure and running infinite baffle would likely result in poor results and a destroyed woofer. You could possibly cheat and offset mount it below a smaller opening that it fires through to help load and control the Sub but not really worth it for an 8.
Yea, it'll be lipstick on a pig. I've mulled over the idea of a 2ohm DVC sub replacing the stocker but there's nothing out there with enough efficiency. Thus like you suggested I run with my slider very rear biased. That makes it livable I suppose. It just sucks that Tesla runs such odd ohm rated drivers in their setups so it's real hard to swap drivers, nvm the Light Harmonic setup. It's such a shame cuz they engineered an awesome 8in in the door cards.

I'll take that bet & win. A few days ago, I pushed the sub-woofer slider up about 50%, There was a noticeable difference in the amount of bass. Then I moved the slider all the way up and had to back it off to about 75%.

Point is, with the sealed rear deck the sub is all but inaudible with the rear seats in the up position, hence the OPs post.

Does yours have the sealed deck or the earlier ported design? I can't hear the sub at all without fading the speakers to full rear, bass slider up or otherwise.

This might explain, at least partially, why some think the sub is fine while others feel it's terrible.

Tim

Last edited:
Yeah I tried it with the seat down before deciding to cut it. The sealed rear deck really stops you from hearing the sub. I wish I would’ve run the RTA curves before modding to see the dB difference.

I drove mine a few times with the rear seats down, just to hear the motor a little more (you can, at least on the P), but I noticed the sub was a little more full sounding, assuming this is kind of the same net effect as your open deck?

Great job BTW, looks totally OEM.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Point is, with the sealed rear deck the sub is all but inaudible with the rear seats in the up position, hence the OPs post.

Does yours have the sealed deck or the earlier ported design? I can't hear the sub at all without fading the speakers to full rear, bass slider up or otherwise.

This might explain, at least partially, why some think the sub is fine while others feel it's terrible.

Tim
I'm not sure if most people know that the rear deck change was done in stages. They originally had a hole in the metal that was covered by a mesh grille (basically what I reverted to). Tesla then sealed the hole in the cover, below the mesh grille, but left the hole in the metal. Eventually they closed up the metal and changed the Rear Package Tray cover to only have 2 grilles over the rear speakers. As you now know, the difference between the original with the hole and now with a completely sealed trunk is very noticeable when it comes to hearing the output of the subwoofer.
The woofers in the doors perform exceptionally well and might be enough for most but, especially at lower volumes, the system really lacks, lower bass reinforcement. Depending on your EQ settings, the sub level control and unsealing the trunk (dropping the seat or porting the deck) really helps.

TBrownTX, I quoted you but this post was more to educate others since you've already experienced get this. 👍

• Informative
Reactions: Xebec and TBrownTX
I drove mine a few times with the rear seats down, just to hear the motor a little more (you can, at least on the P), but I noticed the sub was a little more full sounding, assuming this is kind of the same net effect as your open deck?

Great job BTW, looks totally OEM.
Yes, exactly.
Thanks for the compliment. I spent a decent portion of my early career as a high end/competition car audio installer so this was well within my wheelhouse. 🙂