TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Some P85Ds being delivered with non-staggered wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Puff, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Puff

Puff Member

Was informed by the service center that the P85D's being delivered with 21's are getting the conti 245/35/21 all around as standard. Staggered is a thing of the past. Anyone else get theirs recently with this?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That's probably a good thing. Can finally rotate tires and save a little money that way on expensive tires.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Staggered was in the "con" column for the P85D for me. I'm glad Tesla has decided they aren't necessary -- because that's much better than me just not using them.

4. jpet

jpet Jan P.

I wouldn't be surprised this is just another step towards reducing the number of possible parts / combinations and has less to do with the advantage / disadvantage of having larger rear tires for grip.

5. Niclas

Niclas Member

So, they replaced Michelins pilots with cheaper contis now?

6. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

The biggest advantage of the Contis is that they're extremely quiet. It's an amazing improvement.

7. jsaccio

jsaccio Member

My P85D arrived today and it does NOT have staggered tires. The rears and the fronts are now 245/35/21 Continental ContiSportContact 5. These cost more than the Michelins on Tire Rack.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Right. The "S" have a foam liner on the inside to reduce noise. This liner has to be installed after the vulcanization is done, so it's an extra step--hence more expensive.

9. Dennis87

Dennis87 Member

Any more updates on what wheel people get on the P85D?
    Really hope my car is delivered with staggered wheels and PS2. The staggered setup and 265 tires in the rear was the reason i did choose the 21 wheel package.

10. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

The Continental ContiSportContact 5 Silent tire is about a $405+ tire per in the USA retail, no delivery or taxes in that price.
    Note that there are two versions of that tire, the more expensive is the Silent version, the other version is not the silent version and is somewhat less expensive.

11. paul7200

paul7200 Member

#11 paul7200, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    P85D tire size no longer staggered

My p85d entered production beginning of February and thankfully arrived with the staggered setup. I also ordered the 21 winter set which is not staggered, and I think the offset looks terrible. I much prefer the look of the wider tires on the rear.

12. dennis

dennis P85D

The ContiSportContact 245/35 has a tread width of 8.3". The Pilot Sport 2 265/35 has a tread width of 9.7". Which one would you prefer on your 691 HP 5000 lb. sedan?

13. jerry33

1. Given the same pressure, the contact area will be the same on both tires.

2. On anything other than dry pavement, the narrower tire will have superior performance.

14. Hybris

Hybris Member

PS2 is the king on wet so I dont think so...

15. jerry33

A PS2 19" tire would be better in wet than a PS2 21" tire. If the tire isn't the same, then all bets are off. (And sometimes even the same model of tire isn't the same in different sizes.) My bad for not putting "all things being equal" in the previous post.

16. pan

pan Member

I'm a new member and ordered a model S in February. What was the wheel size when staggered wheels were offered? Thanks in advance.

17. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

18. dennis

dennis P85D

While the Contis are definitely quieter, the handling performance sucks compared to the PS2s.

19. Hybris

Hybris Member

Yepp. All proper sportscars have PS2 or SS. Not continental... I asked when ordering and they said 265 and PS2. If they deliver on square and continental I will be upset...

20. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

I finally picked up my P85D the other day (had recycled the order from last year because I wanted it delivered with the new seats). Was surprised when I looked at the 21" tires this morning and saw four identical Conti's. A search on "not staggered" brought me here. I suppose with the P85D's weight more evenly biased thanks to its front motor, it gives Tesla an excuse not to stagger. When these tires wear out I am inclined to get Pilot SuperSports. I have them on another car and love the performance.