TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Some people can't have nice things (scraped my car)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by kendallpb, Jul 13, 2013.

1. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

#1 kendallpb, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    Damn, this'll probably be $$$. Maybe worth a comprehensive claim? Sigh. ;-( And on my freaking birthday too.... :cursing: I was in a weird spot by a wall and the wall kicked in a bit--I forgot it did that, and I didn't angle enough as I was backing out. I was so worried about scraping the front of the car that I didn't pay enough attention in back. And I just got the auto-tilt-reverse mirrors working again . . . but I didn't pay enough attention to what I saw in them, I guess. So stupid!

So what's the deal, Tesla recommends local shops to fix things? Or I probably just need a whole new rear bumper? There's a very small bit o' damage on the piece above, though, too--is it possible to buff out aluminum or otherwise touch it up? I'm hoping I don't need to replace two parts. $$$$$$. . . .

(This pic may not be good enough to tell, I know. BTW this is the rear driver's side of the car.)

scrape.jpg

2. EMDoc

EMDoc Member

Happy bday but sorry to hear. I find myself not paying as much attention as well at times. I'm so used to the beeps from the sensors usually. The bumper could be fixed...I don't know if I would replace it. The color may be tough to match...go to a quality place. As for the little chip on aluminum...it would be your call. I'm sure they can fill it in with "touchup" and avoid blending or repainting the entire panel. It doesn't look terrible and I think I would have a quality shop fix it and not replace any of those parts...

3. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

That won't buff out as you have stripped away the paint and down to the metal for the fender (small piece) and the bumper material exposed.They won't need to replace anything... Some light sanding and if anything filler... and re-paint. Probably $600 - $900 to fix it. Problem with painting the bumper with aftermarket paint, if the bumper flexes, the paint will crack unlike factory painted bumpers.

4. Chas F

Chas F Model S 60kWh #P6396

This looks similar to damage I did shortly after delivery (as I drove into my driveway for the first time in fact, so I understand the pain of even discussing it). I doesn't look bad enough to have to replace any parts, but if you want it to look like it never happened, go with a Tesla recommended shop. In my case, even though it didn't look bad at first blush, there was a slight crease imparted to the quarter panel, a little upstream the point of contact. This required an experienced aluminum guy to work the panel back to factory. A good shop should also be able to provide a guarantee on the paint.
    Agree with pimp-boy on the bumper. I believe this is not aluminum, and should be easily fixed with sanding/filler/paint.

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

My wife did something very similar on her BMW. Scraped a pole in a parking garage. Repair was only $300 and looks good as new.

6. HHHH

HHHH Member

Shouldn't be too expensive to fix, $500 or so, don't sweat the petty stuff, it happens to everyone. Enjoy your birthday and get the car fixed next week.

7. CatB

CatB Member

Oh dear :(
    Rockville recommended Criswell Collision in Annapolis, they have right equipment for fixing aluminum and RSC assured me they would get the multi-coat white right. That said - $1800 for shopping cart dent and paint scratch. Fortunately, the damage I did with my bike on the trunk was only $311 - I think they took pity on me and gave me a break since they could batch it up with the other. I am hoping to pick my car up in the next week, ping me if you want to have a look.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. hope you can still enjoy your bday - as it is also Bastille Day, remember Napoleon's advice:
    "when you win a battle, champagne is expected, when you lose, it is obligatory."
    Bottoms-up! You deserve it!

8. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

Look at it from the brighter side. At least you did not sustain any scrapes on the upper rear fender. Enjoy your birthday, perhaps, it's just a sign to tell you that life is more about the more important things in life - family. :)

9. kendallpb

Thanks for all the reassurances, people! It's great to hear the part shouldn't need replacing. I freak out too easily.

Also, I was confused and didn't realize that wasn't actually an aluminum part. It looks just like the rest of the car, heh. From what I read about parts delays, if it can be fixed without replacing, it'll probably be faster! I'll definitely only use a Tesla-recommended place (actually see if they do this kind of fix). Good point, Chas F, regarding a place that guarantees the work.

I have to check our comprehensive deductible (I think it's low) and decide about making a claim or not, find out how much that'll affect our rates, etc. I guess I need a quote. ;-) Fun times....

Anyway, I did enjoy my birthday weekend (other than that stress), so thanks again, y'all! Champagne sounds good, CatB! ;-)

10. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

I did the exact same thing to the front right of my Sig. Cost was about $850. Both the Tesla rep and a rep from PPG oversaw the work and didn't let the car leave the shop until it was perfect. The sig red was tough to match and had to be reshot twice. BTW Tesla uses waterbased paint.

IMG_0576.JPG

11. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Similar story here, so you're not alone. My only advice added here would be to check in with Tesla to get a name of a recommended shop in your area.

12. kendallpb

Ouch! Sorry to see that.

I see I'm part of an exclusive, but not necessarily small, club--more people have had this happen than I expected.

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'm pretty sure full paint armour would help as you'd only have to replace that part of the armour.

14. kendallpb

Gah, don't tell me that now! ;-) Paint armor was a very new thing to me and I got the full hood done, but couldn't imagine needing the whole car done. . . . But you may be right, sniff sniff. ;-(

15. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

This is the exact reason why I have my car coated with the clear protection. I know my wife, and maybe myself, will end up doing something like this.

16. HHHH

HHHH Member

Darth,

What areas did you have covered?

17. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I had every area with paint, the black stripe above the windshield, nosecone, and lights.