TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Some people...

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by TomB985, Aug 11, 2019.

1. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

I think you've misunderstood their point. They were talking about the superchargers at the cabinet level. They meant that on the traditional superchargers, all 4 groups in the supercharger cabinet are available to either stall. I.e. while the 12 chargers are grouped up into the 4 blocks, either of the stalls has full access to all 12 in the cabinet assuming the paired stall is empty. On the urban supercharger cabinets, the 12 chargers are split into 2 partitions. Each partition having 2 groups of 3 (i.e. 6 chargers). Which is why, even when the paired stall is empty, you're still limited to the 72 kW. It can only be served from it's half of the cabinet.

Basically you mostly agreed about what's going on but used different terminology.

• Like x 1
  2. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Could be. The part about depending on both cars' soc was a little confusing. If a low soc car is already charging, the second car only gets 1/4 of the capacity regardless of its soc. That combined with saying they are not separated induced some ambiguity in my brain.

3. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Yeah, the part about the cars' SoC was saying that the "ideal" maximum charging rate is correlated with the SoC. If the SoC is high, then the ideal charging rate will be low. And visa versa. In order for the splitting to negatively affect either car, their SoC therefore has to be low enough to enable an ideal charging rate that is higher than what is achievable via the "available" groups of chargers. I.e. If the first car had already charged enough that they were only using 3 of the 4 blocks of chargers, then the fact that 1 block was transferred to the second car would be immaterial. For the second car, it's not only their own SoC needing to be low, the first car can't have a really high SoC. E.g. if car #1 is already at 95% (filling up for a long range leg), and car #2 plugs in at 50%, it's likely that neither will be impacted. etc, etc.

• Like x 1