Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some questions about 14-50 receptacles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair though, the efficiency depends on the resistance of the wiring used as well as its length. My WC is connected to the panel with about 25-30' of 4 gauge NM-B. If they used 100' of 6 gauge THWN in their test setup, they're going to see much higher resistive losses.
These efficiency numbers are for the car only. Wiring to the car resistance is additional loss.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: STS-134 and GSP
People buying giant trucks don't really care about efficiency any more than people buying pickups care about gas mileage. It might be considered but it's not the first priority or you wouldn't be buying a giant truck in the first place. The market for trucks is different than the market for sedans.
Yeah... people maybe don't care, but car companies should care. This is not an easy equation how was with gas-powered trucks: just add few more cylinders, bigger tank - truck is ready. GM decided to do the same way... "hey we just install 220kWh battery, all done". But that truck became super heavy and even with this giant battery, struggling to make 350 miles or range. Because it's very heavy and and inefficient. And keep increasing the battery size will not solve the problem.

So what customer going to care about is this: Cybertruck which can be charged from the electrical dryer outlet or RV outlet overnight and have almost full battery which will be enough for day of driving, or GM EV which can be charged only to 50% overnight and it will be enough only for 100 miles of range. Which vehicle customer going to choose? Super heavy truck with a big battery or super efficient truck that serves needs?

In one of the interviews Musk mentioned that they could do Model S with 500+ miles range, but decided not doing so because it makes a vehicle less efficient and carrying too much unnecessary weight. That's why I ll be really surprised if Cybertuck will have more than 150Kw battery

Last edited:
Yeah... people maybe don't care, but car companies should care. This is not an easy equation how was with gas-powered trucks: just add few more cylinders, bigger tank - truck is ready. GM decided to do the same way... "hey we just install 220kWh battery, all done". But that truck became super heavy and even with this giant battery, struggling to make 350 miles or range. Because it's very heavy and and inefficient. And keep increasing the battery size will not solve the problem.
Increasing the size of the battery is really the only solution to the problem. You're discussing the energy density of the battery itself and this is why there's so much research going into making batteries that can store more energy in less mass.
So what customer going to care about is this: Cybertruck which can be charged from the electrical dryer outlet or RV outlet overnight and have almost full battery which will be enough for day of driving, or GM EV which can be charged only to 50% overnight and it will be enough only for 100 miles of range. Which vehicle customer going to choose? Super heavy truck with a big battery or super efficient truck that serves needs?
The latter isn't going to happen because you can't fight physics. Pushing through the atmosphere requires a certain amount of energy, even if the truck and batteries themselves were somehow magically made massless. Drag force=0.5*(density of fluid)*(velocity of object through fluid)^2*(drag coefficient)*(cross sectional area). Best drag coefficients are in the range of about 0.2-0.25 and even if you could somehow make a truck with a drag coefficient this low (you really can't but let's ignore this for now), the cross sectional area of a useful truck is still high and that contributes to the drag force. (Work required to move an object)=Force*displacement.

And it gets much worse as soon as you attach a trailer to the truck, which is one of the things people do with trucks, and this increases both the drag coefficient and cross sectional area. In order to push a useful truck through the atmosphere and especially to tow something behind it, you're going to need 200-300+ kWh worth of energy in that battery. Research is being done to figure out how to get this in a battery that doesn't make the vehicle weigh 5 tons but once this is achieved, there's no way to charge it in a reasonable amount of time except to increase the amount of power going into the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: MattM24 and Rocky_H
Increasing the size of the battery is really the only solution to the problem. You're discussing the energy density of the battery itself and this is why there's so much research going into making batteries that can store more energy in less mass.
Increasing the battery size is a stupid way to try to increase range.
The Tesla Model Y has a much smaller battery than the Ford Mustang EV but has a much greater range.
Tesla has done a much better job of engineering the efficiency of its cars so they can go the distance on a smaller battery.
Legacy auto is 10 years behind Tesla in engineering EVs.

Reactions: howardnj and Art84
you're going to need 200-300+ kWh worth of energy in that battery.
... or you can just charge the battery more often.

Tesla clearly making a bet on efficiency and charging infrastructure. If you have a megacharger, to charge battery in 10-15 min, every 100 miles of range, then you can tow the trailer without a need of carrying heavy battery with 200-300kWh.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H

Tesla clearly making a bet on efficiency and charging infrastructure. If you have a megacharger, to charge battery in 10-15 min, every 100 miles of range, then you can tow the trailer without a need of carrying heavy battery with 200-300kWh.
But this very thing is the awful, annoying, inconvenient, infuriating factor that makes people detest electric pickup trucks and find them to be unusable. Having to find a place to drop and unhook your trailer and then charge the vehicle and then go back and re hook up your trailer every pathetic 100 miles is going to incredibly hinder the uptake of electric pickup trucks.

Reactions: h2ofun
Increasing the battery size is a stupid way to try to increase range.
The Tesla Model Y has a much smaller battery than the Ford Mustang EV but has a much greater range.
Tesla has done a much better job of engineering the efficiency of its cars so they can go the distance on a smaller battery.
Legacy auto is 10 years behind Tesla in engineering EVs.
Yeah but the Model Y isn't a workhorse truck, it's a crossover and passenger vehicle. It's not suited for hauling heavy items from one farm/warehouse to another or for towing a trailer. Sure, it can tow, but it can only tow small objects (it only has a class 2 tow hitch). Try redesigning it with a class 4 or class 5 tow hitch like you'd find on a Ford F-350 and towing an object, like a large RV, that is only suitable for those classes (12,000 to 20,000 pounds) and I think you'll find the range extremely lacking without a bigger battery.
Not practical or desirable on a long road trip.
The only things I've ever seen people tow with Teslas are small trailers, not the really large stuff (due to limitations of the class 2 tow hitches). Something like this will bring you WAY below 100 miles of range: 6.7 MPG while Towing - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums It saps the range of ICE vehicles too, which is why extended range fuel tanks on large trucks are a thing, and there's a reason why people buy them. People have pickups that can take more than 50 gallons of fuel so they don't have to stop every 100 miles and fill up.

Does everyone need an extended range pickup? Well no, and not everyone who has a pickup has an extended range fuel tank. But there's a market for them, and if we're going to live in a world where everyone drives EVs, you need to address the need and make something for this market.

The only things I've ever seen people tow with Teslas are small trailers, not the really large stuff (due to limitations of the class 2 tow hitches).
Yes... BUT
Cybertruck not released yet, and when it will, you ll see people towing a much larger stuff.
Also already released that you can use a Megachargers to charge it. Infrastructure is not there yet (at all), but we clearly see the direction it's going.

Cmon! How do you roadtripping now on your Tesla? Or you don't? :)

I stop for supercharging every 120-150 miles, and don't see anything wrong with it :)))
I have done many multi-thousand mile road trips over the past 8+ years in my Teslas.
I really enjoy the pace of stopping every 150-250 miles (3-5 hours) for a charging, rest room, food break. It makes for a very relaxing trip and I'm not frazzled at my destination. Nice to stretch after a time at the wheel.
I guess if you're a road warrior doing a cannonball run you might find it irritating but for anyone else, it's the best way to travel.

Reactions: Eric33432 and Art84
Cmon! How do you roadtripping now on your Tesla? Or you don't? :)
I charge to 100% so I roll out of my garage with the maximum range, and I drive it until I either run out of juice or want to stop for a meal.
I stop for supercharging every 120-150 miles, and don't see anything wrong with it :)))
In the San Joaquin Valley on I-5 (speeds of 85-95 mph), 120-150 miles is only about 75-90 minutes. Last road trip I did well southbound because I stopped for a meal at Kettleman City and charged to 100% in 45 minutes while I was eating (and this is where I would have stopped anyway in an ICE car) and went all the way to my destination from there without stopping. But northbound things didn't work out so well. The meal was much earlier in the trip so I had to stop at Kettleman City to use the restroom but gained only about 15-20% SoC there, and had to stop again near Firebaugh because the computer said I had insufficient charge to make it to Casa de Fruta/Hollister and this was despite rolling out of the hotel with near 100% SoC. So yeah, bigger battery would be super helpful.