Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some questions on color changing wraps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, my Blue Model 3 SR+ is arriving any day now and I really want to wrap it to change the color. I realize it probably wasn't the best idea to spend extra on blue if I'm going to wrap it, but this was the one I could find in existing inventory last week at the time I was looking. I don't mind spending the money on a wrap since I plan to keep it a long time, might as well get exactly what I want. A few questions:

1. Any recommendations for wrap (and tint?) in the LA area? I'm in Pasadena, but willing to travel for a large purchase like this. Obviously want to find the best deal I can, but also get a good installation.

2. How did you all go about deciding what color to go with? It's one thing to see all these colors online but another to see it actually on the car. It's a bit intimidating to know what it will look like in person when it costs so much, you can't really change your mind.

3. Let's see pics of all your wraps. Maybe I'll get some inspiration for what color to go with.

Thanks everyone

Congrats on your new Model 3. I did not have a vinyl wrap done, but I did have a whole-car PPF done at Sticker City in Sherman Oaks in Dec 2018. They specialize in wraps as well. I saw their work on some very high-end exotic cars in their parking lot and was very impressed. I highly recommend Sticker City.

For tint, Sticker City referred me across the street to Sunshield Tinting. There I got Xpel Prime XR Plus installed on all the windows except the windshield and was very pleased. I highly recommend them as well.

By the way, here is a helpful article from a trusted source, Edmunds.com:

In the article, they discuss how long you can expect a wrap to last (see below). If you want to change the look of the car, another option would be to get a matte PPF, such as Xpel Stealth. It won't change the color, but it does give the car a unique appearance. PPF is much thicker and durable than a vinyl wrap and will last a lot longer. For example, Xpel PPF comes with a 10-year warranty. Just another option to consider.

From the Edmunds article:

"How Long Does a Car Wrap Last?​

The less a car wrap is exposed to the elements, the longer it will last. If properly maintained, a car wrap can last up to five years, said Hülz. However, excessive sun exposure can "bake in" the vinyl wrap, making it harder to remove and significantly shortening its lifespan. If you park the car on the street and don't keep it clean, the wrap might only last a year, Hülz said.

Impressive Wraps, which wrapped our Tesla Model 3, offers ceramic coating protection for glossy vinyl wraps. The installer applies this liquid "nano ceramic" coating atop the wrap. It hardens and protects the wrap from water damage, has a greater UV resistance, and can ward off minor scratches. The ceramic coating will help the wrap last longer, but it isn't cheap. It can cost about $1,500 on a compact car and $1,800 on an SUV. That's in addition to what you're already paying for the wrap."

Congrats on your new Model 3. I did not have a vinyl wrap done, but I did have a whole-car PPF done at Sticker City in Sherman Oaks in Dec 2018. They specialize in wraps as well. I saw their work on some very high-end exotic cars in their parking lot and was very impressed. I highly recommend Sticker City.
Thank you for the recommendation on sticker city. I will reach out to them. I think wrapping might be a good solution for me as I park in a garage and put low miles on the car yearly. I also plan to take very good care of my vehicle, washing it frequently.