Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some ramblings on the fully automatous level 5 stuff...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uploads of any consequence only happened after getting 17.17.4. Before then, my cars would upload only about 5-10MB per day.
I've read elsewhere that Tesla is getting HW2 cars to send 10 frames over 10 seconds from each camera along with radar and ultrasonic data and that the total size of that data is about 150MB.

Hey I just had a thought...

The new AP2 hardware doesn't have any microphones (I think, right?)

So how will the car respond to a police siren? Or a car horn? Or a cop in a helicopter with a boombox screaming, "Pull over mate!"
That's why there really need to be infrastructure changes for it to work properly. Car to infrastructure communications- eg traffic lights - and car to car.

That way emergency vehicles just broadcast to get out of the way or pull over. Or even that I'm coming up to the intersection so stop to let me through.

Ultimately I see a phased rollout of full autonomy and phase out of manual driving. Starting where freeways don't allow human drivers on them and ending with the final mile off a highway to your garage.

That's why there really need to be infrastructure changes for it to work properly. Car to infrastructure communications- eg traffic lights - and car to car.

That way emergency vehicles just broadcast to get out of the way or pull over. Or even that I'm coming up to the intersection so stop to let me through.

Ultimately I see a phased rollout of full autonomy and phase out of manual driving. Starting where freeways don't allow human drivers on them and ending with the final mile off a highway to your garage.

I agree with the phased rollout, which is what Tesla is doing. I don't agree the infrastructure changes are necessary although it probably will eventually happen. I only use sight and sound, AP2 has much better vision and could use sound as well. Remember the cars have a microphone for voice commands although this may not currently be an input for autopilot. They can also take mapping input like traffic routing and emergency services could easily broadcast data to these systems.

If AP2 can get to 90% less at fault accidents than current human drivers then infrastructure changes may not be cost effective till human driving is banned. Note as Elon has stated this may happen inside the next 20 years, I can see all non AP2 or better cars being priced off the road by insurance in 10 to 15 years.

It would be good for mobileye or similar to sell cameras in the yellow traffic light to use for signal timing, and remove the magnets, which would be more reliable and capture traffic approaching including number of vehicles. Anyone who has ridden a push bike trying to get lights to change will appreciate this change, similarly anyone who has sat at a red light with an empty road having the green light!

It would be good for mobileye or similar to sell cameras in the yellow traffic light to use for signal timing, and remove the magnets, which would be more reliable and capture traffic approaching including number of vehicles. Anyone who has ridden a push bike trying to get lights to change will appreciate this change, similarly anyone who has sat at a red light with an empty road having the green light!
In a fully autonomous future the only traffic lights will be for pedestrian crossings.

Reactions: baillies