Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some simple thoughts on LiOn battery life span.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully I will drop ones a normal post about LiOn with links and probably photos, but time flies too quick so let start with a stub.

How long your battery last is one of the most important questions when you buy an expensive auto.
You have two standard parameters. Number of charges, and warranted life. Both are statistically derived and are not much useful in the case of an auto. One shouldn't look father than at Leafs, or Zoe's.

So the right question is: what determines lifespan of your battery.

Let start with the packaging.
Properly hermetic packaging will prevent excessive electrolyte drying and stable strong packaging is vert important for battery life.
Cylindrical packaging is quite old and very established technology. For example I still use NiCa Sanyo AA batteries from 1997, charge levels remain in 800-700mA level, i.e. 100-85%. So this is not an issue.

Cathodes and anodes. It is extremely tricky topic, but from manufacturing and consumer PoV is very important to have materials with spatially stable characteristics, i.e. thickness and reactive resistivity. Bigger differences will ensure bigger chance of shorting your battery at some point of it's use. It was never a big problem for not chinese Sanyo, and I don't see it being a problem for modern Panasonic.

Electrolyte. This is Achilles' heel of the LiOn technology.
The solvent is organic. It means it is very weak. Think about meat you fry, or your skin.
65C is deadly for any type of the used organic solvents. (some report 80 and even 100C but it is BS). At already 55 you will have significant chance for irreversible changes in your battery, and this chance will grow very fast with temperature.
So what can cause high temperature? High currents+ sufficient time to rise internal temperature.
This time depends very much on the size of your battery pack. Bigger battery==more time== less chance to have anything broken. If your money allow go for the bigger size. Size matters.
Tesla Superchargers are quite effective in quick charging, but it also mean they are quite effective in loading battery pack and warming it up.
Regrettably Tesla didn't publish proper articles on use of Tesla S, and X, but common sense says that small time (less than 20min for Model S 85) supercharging before overloading Tesla cooling system shouldn't provide any negative consequences for the battery pack. Shorter bursts of full acceleration and max speed runs shouldn't lead to negative consequences for the battery pack.
When playing with poaching batteries it's easy to find that temperature gradients are also important, and strong current can damage battery even if it's relatively cold, but it doesn't relate to Tesla....
Accumulated experience says that Tesla charging restrictions are just a bit late, and prb. one should avoid temperatures above 40C as reported.
I don't have much experience with Tesla products, so any corrections or remarks are welcome.
I hope I will fight my laziness and drop here a bunch of links with articles about actual fire dangers, fire protection, and lifespan tests.

I believe that all of the legacy EV manufacturers had issues with their batteries before about 5 years ago.Since then most all batteries have been really reliable, except for a few duds. Even my battery in the 2015 Leaf was at 97% after 4 years.

Last edited: