Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

some sort of car argument

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
Albeit, it is a long accepted, commonly established business practice in the auto industry for any emerging, fledgling automaker to etch a name for itself in the annals of automotive history by introducing itself to the World with a sports car,...

Really?

Honda
drivers_side.jpg

D
datsun.jpg

messerschmitt-1.jpg

Subaru, ??, Honda again
PA010023.jpg

Last edited:
What car is in the middle

VFX

The car in the middle of the Subaru 360 and the Honda Zot is a Mazda Carol which seems to re-inforce your point.

However in the 60's there were few design requlations that these cars were required to comply with making entry to the market by new makers sustantially easier. That's why you will probably not see a new maufacturer ICE or electric start in the USA with a low priced car unless they already have achieved substantial volumes elswhere to support the design work for US DOT.

Yes! REALLY!!

Your point is irrelevant due to your choice to compare apples to oranges, i.e., the protocol for the introduction of foreign cars to the domestic market was very strident back in the day, being particularly oriented around a few principles: economical, dependable and fuel efficient, and that was it.

As for the Jeep...it was originally introduced as a strictly military application conveyance under it's designer's name "Willeys", then later disseminated into the domestic market.

p.s. I know where exactly that very model of Honda is sitting right now, I even think it's the same color, lol!

...it is a long accepted, commonly established business practice in the auto industry...by introducing itself to the World with a sports car...

... the protocol for the introduction of foreign cars to the domestic market was very strident back in the day...

So you negate my point by stating that these makers were not allowed to make sports cars. Did they have the same restrictions when they introduced cars in their home countries? Can you name some recently successful automakers that have debuted (US or otherwise) with Sports cars and have gone on to make "ordinary cars".

Saab is a good one.
901.jpg

I like the current title, actually :) No idea what it is about, but this title makes it more entertaining at least!

This was peeled off of another thread about the Big 3 exploits/how certain individuals were attempting to screw Tesla out of what they had coming with others berating them (Tesla) over their introductory price for their introductory model and diverged into my comment about it having been common practice for a number of emerging automakers, particularly in the "sports" car arena, to price their offerings accordingly because they were, afterall, "sports" cars.

Somehow or another vfx felt it necessary to debunk my assessment by introducing a number of lower class, introductory foreign models, ergo lower priced, as a means of saying that such is not always the case.

Apples to oranges is my contention, apples to oranges (and I do not know what motivated vfx to pick on me"?!?").

give me a reasonable title for this thread and I'll change it to that.

How about this for a title:

"Why sticker shock over Tesla price?"

Intro the thread with links to sites where people have expressed dismay over the sticker price of a Tesla (complete with article excerpts) and follow it up with the question: "Is it worth it?"

Then segue way (there's another one, i.e., the Segway") into a line by line cost itemization of the various components, e.g., wheels, tires, motor, management unit, interior, etc., etc., that go into producing a Tesla from assembly to "turn key".

You could even run it as a "poll" to get feedback from site members...just a thought.

Last edited:
OK, then I challenge you to cite examples to support your assertion.

Orange you glad Doug gave us our own playground?

It does hold a certain apple to me.

Last edited:
Wow In5, That's quite a list.

Here's where we differ in the spin of your original quote. I read that you implied that a new car company introduces itself to the world by offering a snazzy sports car so then they can become noticed and become big and successful enough to make "people's cars" that everyone has heard of.

Your list include many companies that made or make -and will only make spiffy sports cars -never to sell practical cars to soccer moms.

I'd like to transfer this impressive list to the "Sales Compared to other cars list" And gauge how Tesla is doing VS these other small makers.

{insert lame fruit reference here}

Wow In5, That's quite a list.

Here's where we differ in the spin of your original quote. I read that you implied that a new car company introduces itself to the world by offering a snazzy sports car so then they can become noticed and become big and successful enough to make "people's cars" that everyone has heard of.
In review to clarify the status of this exchange, my comments were that it had...
1n5p1r4t10n said:
"...been common practice for a number of emerging automakers, particularly in the "sports" car arena, to price their offerings accordingly because they were, afterall, "sports" cars."
I further went on to affirm that though my "assertion" appeared "bold"/unsupportable, it was nonetheless true:

1n5p1r4t10n said:
"Bold"... perhaps? Though true none the less.

I'll see you your apple and will raise you an orange....

You then "challenged" me to validate my claim:

vfx said:
OK, then I challenge you to cite examples to support your assertion.
I answered your "challenge" with a preceding post listing several automobile manufacturers that had gotten their start in the automotive World by producing a "sports car" as their introductory vehicle....

Challenge made...challenge met...challenge won.

Anything beyond that is irrelevant peripheral semantics as this is the part where you're (as the "challenger") are suppose to play the "bowing out graciously" card by admitting defeat and moving on to other avenues of discussion and intellectual exchange instead of undertaking a half-hearted effort to retain some shred of credibility by mincing my words 9which actually still pretty much reads the same, even with the omission of a couple chosen words...have you no shame? :tongue:
vfx said:
Your list include many companies that made or make -and will only make spiffy sports cars -never to sell practical cars to soccer moms.
An irrelevant, non-consequential point (particularly in light of the fact that many listed do) as my defined objective in this exchange was to substantiate my claim, which you felt was bogus.

vfx said:
I'd like to transfer this impressive list to the "Sales Compared to other cars list" And gauge how Tesla is doing VS these other small makers.
I'd like to see that as well...perhaps you could manage to compose a post with the two of them in a side-by-side comparison"?"
vfx said:
{insert lame fruit reference here}
You're the one that started this whole "fruit" innuendo stuff, I was merely attempting to entertain you by playing along...Orange you glad you "challenged" me?!