TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Some stuff I wrote on Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by X-Auto, Apr 20, 2016.

1. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

#2 S'toon, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Incorrect. The Model 3 site says "Autopilot Hardware."
    It does not say enabled by default.
    Model 3 | Tesla Motors

Most likely an option. The engineers on the drive videos said there'll be a metal roof, and a retractable roof (if I recall the wording correctly) as well.

Some people will take issue with 1, saying "Tesla has always been behind schedule before," but I prefer to be somewhat optimistic until proven otherwise. Tesla's been building up their factory capacity and making investments. They're trying to engineer for a simple no hassle build, unlike past projects.

3. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

Thanks for the feedback, but I heard Elon Musk saying autopilot in the unveil event, have to listen again carefully... if it's optional it'll bring down some enthusiasm out of the masses. :)

4. yesup

yesup Member

All cars will have Autopilot hardware, and safety functions (e.g. frontal collision detection etc) from those hardware will be available to every one.
    But the actual Autopilot function will be an optional activation.

In point 10, you mentioned "the most advanced fuel cell" - battery is not considered a fuel cell. Fuel cell usually refers to Hydrogen fuel cars.

5. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

@S'toon Elon explains the rear window in 12th min, must be standard :(

6. yesup

yesup Member

You two may be talking about different thing.
    The glass in Model 3 has 3 sections - the front windshield, the middle top roof section and the long rear glass.
    The front windshield and the rear long glass are standard.

What S'Toon refers to is the middle top roof section where you have the option of a glass roof, metal roof or a retractable sunroof.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

@yesup Corrected the mistake on the article, thanks a dime man. :)

8. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

@yesup Yeah, that's what I think :) Rear Long Roof is what we want ! :D

9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

#9 S'toon, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Correct. I was referring to the top. About 15 secs or so into this video, the engineer talks about the roof options.

As for the autopilot, about 11 minutes in to the reveal video, Elon talks about the autopilot. He says the hardware is standard, and safety features will be enabled. He doesn't say the full autopilot package is enabled.

• Like x 1
  10. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

@S'toon @yesup curious as if the autopilot will not be enabled by default, how much would they charge to set the software, cause the hardware would be there already, it would just be installing the software and configuring it? Not a big deal for them I guess...

11. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

On the S and X, activation is $2500 if ordered at delivery and $3000 after deliver. I assume it will be comparable, but may be less because of the target buyers and the 3 being more affordable. Although as an S or X buyer, I would be upset having to pay more for essentially the same option to be activated, unless the autopilot features will be different between the models to justify the cost difference.

• Like x 1
  12. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

@Zaphod $2500 - 3000 will be too much for the Model 3 buyers and yes it's strange to have it as an option on S & X. There could be a way to hack the system and activate it yourself.. :D hahaha cause I believe the software is already installed, what they do is just activate it.

13. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

The $2500 they are charging the Model S and X buyers will be the first $2500 I will spend on my Model 3. I don't think it is too much.

Dan

• Like x 1
  14. ModelZ

ModelZ Member

I feel charging the exact same price for AP on a M≡ that they do on the S and the X is perfectly fine.

Software companies don't charge different prices based on what computer you're running their work on.

That's essentially all AP is - Software that translates what the hardware is seeing.

Expect to pay the same as everyone else. :cool:

• Like x 2
  15. Maynerd

Maynerd Member

Your article still shows autopilot as standard which as stated previously is incorrect. Autopilot hardware is standard but the autopilot option will be at a cost.

• Like x 1
  16. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

@Maynerd just going to fix it, thanks again for the reminder ! :rolleyes:

17. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

18. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Member

Well we know for sure it comes with Autopilot hardware but has it been confirmed that the Autopilot option will be extra? I assumed they were still working out what would be standard and optional...

• Like x 1
  19. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

@Wolfsburg seems from previous experience that it will be optional but if it's activated by default, it'll be wonderful. :confused:

• Like x 1
  20. ttupper92618

ttupper92618 Member

I doubt it will be too much. It is a compelling feature, and may well be verging on L4 automation by the time Model 3 ships. Tesla has to achieve decent margins on the car, and software upgrades have fabulous margins.

• Like x 1