Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Tesla hate on the highway...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Minnesota I have had my fair share of losers flicking me off, trying to race, cutting me off and slowing down, not letting me pass. My favorite was I was at a super charger and some guy in a pickup truck drove by rolled down his window to flick me off. Classy.
I have yet to encounter any antagonistic behaviors toward EV in my former Leaf or my Tesla.

Reactions: RyanT
Okay, here's what I have to say about driving with autopilot on. Also about regenerative braking.
Be courteous to your surrounding. If you are on autopilot, go with the flow of traffic. In CA freeway the speed limit is 65 (mostly). If others are zooming by you or a long queue behind you while on EAP, move over to the slower lane. You look like a idiot going 65 miles on the fast lane with a car that has so much more. I am sure you are going to get a lot of nasty looks from other passing car. I understand you are obeying the speed limit at 65 mph. Others are going 70 to 80, just move over.

For regenerative breaking - if no one is behind you, sure you can let it roll till it stop. I do it all the time to avoid using my break.
If someone is behind you, use the breaks. Just be mindful and picture yourself in a ICE car or any type of car wait and wait for you to roll 20 or 30 feets before coming to a complete stop at a light. It's frustrating.. right? Don't give ICE owner a reason to hate EV or the different EV brand.

That why I hate to drive behind a Prius I rather be behind a bus than a Prius. It's not the car. It's the driver. They want to hyper mile. The brag about how they got 50 miles a gallon. Blah Blah Blah. Whatever.. Just go with the flow of traffics.

This goes back many years, it started with computers in general. The
fear of losing jobs to automation, fear of a young technology they didn't
understand. Then all the "discussion" about artificial intelligence threats,
from rumor mill level TV round-tables, to all the dystopian sci-fi movies.
And cases of automation gone wrong, like the Boeing 737X crashes.

Add to that the image of Teslas as $250k cars driven by those hated
rich liberals and the 1%. Now we're at a critical balance point. I've had
sympathetic reactions, some comments like "cool", I've seen complete
ignorance with folks staring at the silent car like at a UFO, but also I've
gotten outright hatred. And since that hatred's been sanctioned on high,
(Deliverance banjo tune starts up), we're likely to see more of it until
or if the scales tip, or gas gets very expensive, or something changes.
It's easy for it to darken your day.

It's good to keep a low profile I think. My wife was ordering vanity
plates and I cancelled them. No showing off hands-free driving. And
we need to be the best ambassadors for technology in general, Tesla
and EVs in particular. Who would'a guessed it would be this much work?

I am a speed limit driver and I don't apologize for it. I would give you a "disagree" but instead let me explain.
If you are on autopilot, go with the flow of traffic. In CA freeway the speed limit is 65 (mostly). If others are zooming by you or a long queue behind you while on EAP, move over to the slower lane. You look like a idiot going 65 miles on the fast lane with a car that has so much more. I am sure you are going to get a lot of nasty looks from other passing car. I understand you are obeying the speed limit at 65 mph. Others are going 70 to 80, just move over.
No, going with the flow of traffic (which is anywhere from 10 to 20 mph over the 65/70 speed limit) is unlawful and unsafe on California freeways. I have tried going the speed limit in the far right lane on the freeways, but then I am tailgated or honked at by semis that are going 10 to 15 mph over the truck 55 mph speed limit. Where do you want me to drive? and don't be a smartburro and say, "on city streets." You look like an idiot going over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating and for what purpose? Just slow down!

For regenerative breaking - if no one is behind you, sure you can let it roll till it stop. I do it all the time to avoid using my break.
If someone is behind you, use the breaks. Just be mindful and picture yourself in a ICE car or any type of car wait and wait for you to roll 20 or 30 feets before coming to a complete stop at a light. It's frustrating.. right? Don't give ICE owner a reason to hate EV or the different EV brand.
Why? The light is red, racing up to a red light and then slamming on your brakes is not going to make the light turn green any faster. It is frustrating to have someone tailgating you at a stoplight..right? Don't give ICE owner a reason to bully you because you don't want to live the same frenetic lifestyle they want to impose on you.

That why I hate to drive behind a Prius I rather be behind a bus than a Prius. It's not the car. It's the driver. They want to hyper mile. The brag about how they got 50 miles a gallon. Blah Blah Blah. Whatever.. Just go with the flow of traffics.
That's why I hate to drive on roads with drivers of any brand car (ICE or EV) who want to dictate how I should be driving my car as long as I am driving safely and obeying the law. If you don't like the posted speed limit, lobby your representative to get them changed. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Whatever....don't take it out on me.

Flip me off all you want. I am immune to it and ignore it, no reaction from me. The more you tailgate me, the slower I go, so you can get around me faster. I am not obligated to get out of your way as long as I am obeying the law and because you are being a traffic hazard. Oh, and if you do something unsafe. I have you on camera with your license plate and I do not hesitate to turn the evidence over to appropriate LEO.

Last edited:
Isn't that lovely and so low class. We live in a world of rude and crude people who feel it's their place to put others down and bully others. Sounds like someone hating upcoming autonomus driving not necessarily the car possibly, because at some point there will be more cars on the road with the same/similar features.

I wouldn't go blaming the guy. With autopilot, the car brakes a lot. Which makes it seem like the driver is texting not paying attention.

• Disagree
Reactions: derotam
Oy. Can you just get a Prius, and a MAGA bumper sticker, please?
Besides my 3MR, I do have a Plug-In Prius. :p
MAGA = Make America Green Again. Support the Green New Deal. :D
If you're not going with the flow of traffic in the far left lane of a 3+ lane highway, you should have your license revoked.
If you are going faster than the posted speed limit in any lane on a 3+ lane highway, you should get a traffic citation and have your license revoked. :rolleyes:

Mainly just the occasional engine rev here in NC, which I get is good fun. Nothing particularly rude though.

With Tesla's we have the ultimate trump card, speed. From my six months of experience, it appears most "spirited" drivers realize this.

I wouldn't go blaming the guy. With autopilot, the car brakes a lot. Which makes it seem like the driver is texting not paying attention.

How does the car "brake a lot"? A Tesla on Autopilot, brakes due to the traffic in front of it. If the car brakes a lot then it is because the traffic in front is not driving consistently.

Now you could say that a Tesla on Autopilot WAITS to brake a little too long and therefor brakes a little harder than what a human driver(paying attention) is doing, but this is different than braking a lot. I will say that the braking/deceleration reaction time has gotten better over the last few updates. I actually can leave AP on more in different scenarios(coming up to stopped or slowing traffic at a light) without the car doing a hard deceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.