Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Tesla hate on the highway...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh come on dude, you know the AP is very conservative and uses its brake much more frequently than a human at this point. It'll even brake for shadows. Heck, even my other cars brake too much when using adaptive cruise and they aren't nearly as sophisticated as Teslas'.
A tesla on AP uses brakes far less than most regular drivers. People are just dumb and can't understand that not riding the bumper in front of doesn't make you get home slower.

Driving in Orlando yesterday with my wife on a road trip and got my first Tesla hate. Was on NAP and stable in a single lane, so I know I didn’t do anything abnormal. Anyway, a red Mercedes SUV pulled in front of us in the left lane and opened the passenger window and flicked us off then pulled back with the passenger and driver laughing as I shook my head and smiled at them.

If I read this correctly you were “stable” on the left most lane , which should only be used to pass others. If that was the case then that explains the hate.

Does model 3 really get better mpg than a motorcycle?

I'm not the one who made the comment, but my Motorcycle and my Tesla have the same fuel economy :)

aGLAewNeJcmo8AKuouEx5nCwhZlLnEWZU1PGbz0ngXQ1N4Ts01dtf0SrbpvTSFAqXRgmsXWiIUKtYTxsQeNVZsdLo0KPcyNyed5fLqrsC68H9LVgG0tDZxSWPGwdcn4AemWSLh7RyJ1WKXXictQHza25R9fnHYdB-kVtpdXnai3_zkLFbh3hBa3pKisPOm5h_jylWjSYJh47VD7eF6KP-KNh_jsOMZ0Uy5g5o1aG-Dm8Jxhv2XyE7s6V57pnob0vKgO1mj-2lD4AN5KkHOXefl3PXjLc8Ko8HlKZ9G4kgDlprvPQJylPyhohIHIlPe_fc3q8fsxaoyI6VmeLp-INbo-fF9V9si3iOUkU8T1BfyaA1bKx0wIpk0YL8BBMb9ybWDLIHgkWyjK4Kn-zW9IqeQtMWEC0qff3jEcU-Ne18vuCsH7eLV73sZSpQaicZCPWNlTWDw4gWMIJSex3Htv8WDZ5-syeUVUlseZTBvVWlGlX2LfxaZvJibZBVuCUSCv7c5R-SnLfyfe8BxHCjLafJTr_S2R1u9cUs5Fbju3Ltaf07TbDlA6zrAA7fvOSPLSFQeAudJvZkLLyxTeKtRQ33XfzTPICeKZ2i1CphgZlAtu7662BabBF2NBwLqvGDpQiO1Obu7uSzdR2eL_N6yBvab2lf807FDrIHXR7ReMJn4H0rqTmNbiVp1XuWOJ39dmXmO1pf69hVfxk3ViQzTOWgP3xDA=w1494-h841-no

I thought the latest AP software encourages returning to right hand lane once overtaking is completed.

Although it is perfectly legal to drive at speed in any lane of a multi-lane highway if there is no signage declaring otherwise. e.g. We do have "slower vehicles stay right" going up steep grades.

I thought the latest AP software encourages returning to right hand lane once overtaking is completed.

Although it is perfectly legal to drive at speed in any lane of a multi-lane highway if there is no signage declaring otherwise. e.g. We do have "slower vehicles stay right" going up steep grades.
That depends on your state!! In MOST states, the posting of Keep Right signs is optional, but you still have to keep right! Not sure the rules in Canada - sorry.

I actually posted a link above with every state's "Keep Right" rules, and if you follow in (I checked my locals) ALL of them say that you have to keep right, and that the posting of "Keep right" signs is fully optional

Driving in Orlando yesterday with my wife on a road trip and got my first Tesla hate. Was on NAP and stable in a single lane, so I know I didn’t do anything abnormal. Anyway, a red Mercedes SUV pulled in front of us in the left lane and opened the passenger window and flicked us off then pulled back with the passenger and driver laughing as I shook my head and smiled at them.

Tried to get the jackass on the dash cam, but for some reason the clip didn’t save.

Reminded me of the old joke. What’s the difference between a porcupine and a Mercedes? On a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside.
I used to have friend in college (many year ago)... He would honk and just flip people off. The bigger the reaction, the more he loved it. He loved to see peoples responses. I wouldn't assume it was a Tesla hater... Maybe just a jackass like my buddy was. ;)

It is also unlawful to stay in the far left lane, if you're not overtaking or passing. It doesn't matter if you're going the speed limit. So to answer your question on what lane you should be in, it is any lane you want except the far left lane (unless you're overtaking or passing someone).
What part of my posts don't you understand? I stay in the far right lane whenever it is safe.

It is disingenuous to say you are traveling in the far left lane because you are always passing someone. You are just plain speeding.

What part of my posts don't you understand? I stay in the far right lane whenever it is safe.

It is disingenuous to say you are traveling in the far left lane because you are always passing someone. You are just plain speeding.

It's hilarious to watch you defend your posts to everyone who reads them, then chastise US for "misunderstanding" you. Perhaps you didn't express it in such a way that multiple random people on the internet who've never met could somehow interpret in the exact same way.....

There is a lot of contradictory information on this, but in many states in the US, hogging the left lane can result in an expensive ticket

Hogging the Left Lane Will Cost You

Regardless, it's just bad manners and lazy driving to do so. People who sit in the middle lane of a 3-lane highway are, in my opinion, even worse. They often hold up trucks who cannot get by, and they often tail-gate because they don't want to take the left lane to pass. They're usually people in SUVs on cruise-control.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddykwRun
This goes back many years, it started with computers in general. The
fear of losing jobs to automation, fear of a young technology they didn't
understand. Then all the "discussion" about artificial intelligence threats,
from rumor mill level TV round-tables, to all the dystopian sci-fi movies.
And cases of automation gone wrong, like the Boeing 737X crashes.

Add to that the image of Teslas as $250k cars driven by those hated
rich liberals and the 1%. Now we're at a critical balance point. I've had
sympathetic reactions, some comments like "cool", I've seen complete
ignorance with folks staring at the silent car like at a UFO, but also I've
gotten outright hatred. And since that hatred's been sanctioned on high,
(Deliverance banjo tune starts up), we're likely to see more of it until
or if the scales tip, or gas gets very expensive, or something changes.
It's easy for it to darken your day.

It's good to keep a low profile I think. My wife was ordering vanity
plates and I cancelled them. No showing off hands-free driving. And
we need to be the best ambassadors for technology in general, Tesla
and EVs in particular. Who would'a guessed it would be this much work?

Fully agree & even denied the vanity thing also with the S.O.
However, why do Fords, BMW, Mercedes, Chevy's have all their a-hole road habits get excused?!:cool:

Motorcycle riders are just what they've always been: major polluters of noxious gases, many times more than cars and major noise polluters as well.
When you are riding an electric motorbike and not covered in tats and chains I'll take note of your concerns.

Whos talking about pollution here? Trying to grab out of context to complain? All from someone in Australia. Follow rules much there?

Be courteous to your surrounding. If you are on autopilot, go with the flow of traffic. In CA freeway the speed limit is 65 (mostly). If others are zooming by you or a long queue behind you while on EAP, move over to the slower lane. You look like a idiot going 65 miles on the fast lane with a car that has so much more. I am sure you are going to get a lot of nasty looks from other passing car. I understand you are obeying the speed limit at 65 mph. Others are going 70 to 80, just move over.

This applies to every car, not just the AP Teslas. I've seen just about every make of car pulling the 65 in the left lane because it's the speed limit BS.

I am a speed limit driver and I don't apologize for it. I would give you a "disagree" but instead let me explain.

No, going with the flow of traffic (which is anywhere from 10 to 20 mph over the 65/70 speed limit) is unlawful and unsafe on California freeways. I have tried going the speed limit in the far right lane on the freeways, but then I am tailgated or honked at by semis that are going 10 to 15 mph over the truck 55 mph speed limit. Where do you want me to drive? and don't be a smartburro and say, "on city streets." You look like an idiot going over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating and for what purpose? Just slow down!

Having driven the CA freeways for 20+ years, both San Fran area, central CA and LA area, I have NEVER seen a semi going faster than 65, except once and it was going 70 (the car speed limit) and I used him to draft behind :p But seriously, it's super rare that any semi in CA is going over 65 that I have a very hard time believing that not only are all the semis (or vast majority) in your area going so fast that they honk at you for being in the right lane going the speed limit. Heck, half the time in LA and SF, almost nobody is going the speed limit because traffic won't allow for it :p

Reactions: Sherlo and VQTRVA
Two important things:

1. I do wish that Autosteer would keep the car either to the left side of the lane when in left most lane, and to the right most side of the lane if in the 2nd to left most lane. Otherwise, middle of the lane is perfect. That "helps" lane splitting motorcycle riders.

2. I can assure you I drive nothing like a Prius driver, and for anyone to hurl such an insult in an unwarranted fashion is uncalled for in a civilized society.

As long as #2 is true, I'm not talking about you.
Yes I am talking some of #1.

Reactions: Sherlo

It does.

And that is not true at all. In many states it is illegal to drive in the passing lane, no signs required. Legality aside, it's incredibly inconsiderate and against the norms for driving in the US (and any normal country).

The Germans have a word for the long line of traffic that builds up behind somebody driving in the passing lane. It translates to auto snake. They say "what's the difference between an auto snake and a regular snake? In a regular snake the A-hole is at the end".

And? If somebody wants to speed how is it your right to block them? You speed at times don't you?

Reactions: VQTRVA and TyH2009
Status
Not open for further replies.