Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Tesla hate on the highway...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have NEVER seen a semi going faster than 65, except once and it was going 70 (the car speed limit) and I used him to draft behind :p But seriously, it's super rare that any semi in CA is going over 65 that I have a very hard time believing that not only are all the semis (or vast majority) in your area going so fast that they honk at you for being in the right lane going the speed limit.
A truck speeding at 65 mph in any lane is going 10 mph over the speed limit. They should be cited.

Try driving on 60 or 10 freeways in Socal if you want to see semis speeding. Most long haul truck drivers are paid by the mile. The faster they go, the more they earn per mile. Increasing speed from 55 to 65 mph means a pay increase of 18% per hour.

Reactions: Kilotango74
This applies to every car, not just the AP Teslas. I've seen just about every make of car pulling the 65 in the left lane because it's the speed limit BS.

Having driven the CA freeways for 20+ years, both San Fran area, central CA and LA area, I have NEVER seen a semi going faster than 65, except once and it was going 70 (the car speed limit) and I used him to draft behind :p But seriously, it's super rare that any semi in CA is going over 65 that I have a very hard time believing that not only are all the semis (or vast majority) in your area going so fast that they honk at you for being in the right lane going the speed limit. Heck, half the time in LA and SF, almost nobody is going the speed limit because traffic won't allow for it :p

Plus Semi drivers are probably the best most law abiding drivers out there.

Why? Cause that's their livelihood.

• Funny
Reactions: ReddykwRun
This is mostly true, but Trucks do speed. I see it in the Midwest and saw it on the East Coast all the time.
I drive the east coast corridor on I95 all the time.
You get a truck speeding 1 out of every 100.
Same with the 405 in SoCal.

If traffic doesn't allow it, there is rarely a reason for a Semi to speed.

If you get more than that - you need to play the lotto.

• Disagree
It's hilarious to watch you defend your posts to everyone who reads them, then chastise US for "misunderstanding" you. Perhaps you didn't express it in such a way that multiple random people on the internet who've never met could somehow interpret in the exact same way.....
I have tried going the speed limit in the far right lane on the freeways,
It is hilarious to see how many people never passed Reading Comprehension 101. It is hilarious to see how you include "everyone" as the royal "US."

I drive the east coast corridor on I95 all the time.
You get a truck speeding 1 out of every 100.
Same with the 405 in SoCal.

If traffic doesn't allow it, there is rarely a reason for a Semi to speed.

If you get more than that - you need to play the lotto.
What part of 95? It's hard for anyone to speed there most of the time due to horrible traffic. I don't know about 1 in a 100, it's probably more like 1 in 10.

And? If somebody wants to speed how is it your right to block them? You speed at times don't you?
And? I don't have a right to block them anymore than a person has a right to speed. When I am in a passing lane, I make my pass ( usually at 5/10 over the limit to make the pass quickly) and then move to the right and resume the posted speed. Many people who speed consider the passing lane as their personal highway and you better get the frunk out of their way. The irony is that someone who is speeding at 75 mph in a 65 zone (like I do sometimes for a short distance to make a pass) is considered a slow driver and not keeping up with the flow of traffic by someone who is going 85.

A truck speeding at 65 mph in any lane is going 10 mph over the speed limit. They should be cited.

Try driving on 60 or 10 freeways in Socal if you want to see semis speeding. Most long haul truck drivers are paid by the mile. The faster they go, the more they earn per mile. Increasing speed from 55 to 65 mph means a pay increase of 18% per hour.

Yes, 65 for a semi is speeding. But now you're moving the bar a bit with this response. What I quoted you as saying was implying that they were speeding to the point that YOU going 65 (the limit) was so much slower than they were that they were honking at you. That is what I find hard to believe.

Reactions: VQTRVA
Right, because being 2 inches from someone's backside means you get there so much faster than if you're following a safe distance behind... only it doesn't.

It's actually following too closely that slows traffic because of the "brake effect" where everyone has to break ever harder in a caterpillar like formation if someone changes speed or lane. Unfortunately, quite literally 99% of people on the road are too f-ing dumb to understand this.

I am just telling you what happens. If you don't speed up sufficiently, you'll end up getting people driving on the shoulder to pass, or cutting you off the second they're able to then brake checking. I've had both happen to me.

And? I don't have a right to block them anymore than a person has a right to speed. When I am in a passing lane, I make my pass ( usually at 5/10 over the limit to make the pass quickly) and then move to the right and resume the posted speed. Many people who speed consider the passing lane as their personal highway and you better get the frunk out of their way. The irony is that someone who is speeding at 75 mph in a 65 zone (like I do sometimes for a short distance to make a pass) is considered a slow driver and not keeping up with the flow of traffic by someone who is going 85.
If that's how you drive then what's the issue? Pass slower traffic, return to travel lanes. If somebody is "passing" everyone at 70, but there is someone behind them then they should get over as well, then they can return to the passing lane after that person goes by.

In the UK at least, the inside lane is the driving lane. The other lanes (middle and outer, usually) are overtaking lanes, and you should move back in once you have finished passing another vehicle. It is not legal to drive continually in any other lane than the inside one. We also now have laws that allow the police to fine people for 'hogging' the middle lane.

As someone who trains others in advanced driving, we tell our associates that they should always keep to the speed limits except perhaps in a rare emergency where you need to accelerate to move out of danger. On suburban roads if the flow of traffic is breaking the law, that's just tough. Drive the speed limit: the drivers behind you can just deal with it.

On a motorway, aside from the fact that you shouldn't be in the overtaking lanes for a long period of time, we suggest that if the flow of traffic in the outside lane is faster than the speed limit, then you should take the middle lane, or the inner lane if it is free. You shouldn't break the speed limit to overtake; which is why there are 2 or more overtaking lanes.

Obviously a lot of lorries use the inside lane, so you don't have to keep moving back in like a yoyo if the next lorry ahead is within a reasonable time frame of you reaching it, just stay in the middle lane and wait until there is a long clear stretch before moving back into the inside lane.

Anything else, in my professional opinion, is just poor driving.

I've had a couple run ins with haters flying the bird for no reason. My favorite was sitting at an intersection waiting to turn left and for oncoming traffic to clear. The last car in the string of 3, an older pickup, decided to fly the bird as he drove by as I was sitting with my blinker on. Ah well, bitter angry people everywhere I guess.

Chances are you had footage of them but hit the icon to send it to the USB too soon. If it's mid-minute it won't add that last minute to the 10-minute file (only previous 10 minutes). Always give it a minute or two before you try saving it if something just happened. The footage BTW would have still been in your RecentClips until it got recorded over in the buffer so if you pulled the USB you could have found it there.

This has not been my experience. The few times I've tapped the camera icon to save the last 10 minutes, it saves video up until the moment I tap the icon, including a final clip that's less than 1 minute in length.

I have see some older threads discussing this behavior/bug of cutting off the last <60 seconds, but my most recent instance of saving a dashcam video was in March '19 and it worked as expected.

• Informative
Reactions: StealthP3D
Status
Not open for further replies.