Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Tesla hate on the highway...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does model 3 really get better mpg than a motorcycle?

A LR RWD Model 3 can drive 325 miles on the energy that's in 2.2 gallons of gasoline - so yes, they get better MPG than a motorcycle if you compare the energy expenditure. EVs are ridiculously efficient and, while motorcycles are better than cars, gas engines are still only around 20% efficient at converting gas energy into forward motion.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Yes, 65 for a semi is speeding. But now you're moving the bar a bit with this response. What I quoted you as saying was implying that they were speeding to the point that YOU going 65 (the limit) was so much slower than they were that they were honking at you. That is what I find hard to believe.
I just took a short 5 mile drive on I-10 an hour ago. I encountered 9 trucks on that stretch of highway. One truck (Ceaser's Pizza) was going 55 the rest were going 60 to 70, occupying the two (out of four) right-most lanes. Which lane do you suggest I drive in when I am going 65, the posted speed limit?

My favorite are the people that honk angrily at me if I accelerate past them (up to 35mph) from a stop. Maybe they are startled, but I'm just getting a quicker start than they expect. Somehow, they need to express their frustration, for what, I have no idea.

As an Aussie motorcycle rider (26 countries, most continents) I've found the French (in France) to be the most courteous and friendly bikers in the world. Swiss and Kiwis are a close second. As an eBiker in Oz, I experience the occasional diss from petrolheads.*

I figure some of the disrespect may disappear once the Tesla pick-up appears on the scene... especially if Musk picks up some of the latest renderings.

* Funnily enough, bikers Down Under disrespect Volvo drivers. No idea how this dislike started. Volvo's safety claims, maybe?

If that's how you drive then what's the issue? Pass slower traffic, return to travel lanes. If somebody is "passing" everyone at 70, but there is someone behind them then they should get over as well, then they can return to the passing lane after that person goes by.
The issue is I may be passing a truck that is going 65 (in a 65 zone (55 for trucks)) and I am going 70 and somebody who is going 85 comes up behind me, flashing their light for me to move over, and then when I do, the flip me off as they pass me and then complain about slow drivers on TMC.

Reactions: Joshan
I'll readily admit, if I'm buzzing along at 75 or more in the left lane, and I'm passing middle or right lane traffic, and you fly up behind me (which means you're doing in excess of 90 to have closed that quickly), I'll probably jab the pedal before moving over, just to let you know you're getting by because I allowed it.

*shrug* sue me for it.

Eventually, someone will run into the back of you if you do that. It won't matter if it's technically their fault, best case there will be damage, worst case there could be loss of life.

Reactions: T34ME
Looking at all this friction, it looks like venting whatever emotions by flipping the bird is way WAY more efficient, for all parties involved, than this petty legalistic BS about one's rights, or wanting to hand in dashcam recordings of evil transgressors and scofflaws to the police. Sheesh!

When I look at all the cars in the streets, or dancing together in fast freeway driving, what amazes me is that they don't all coalesce, within minutes, into a smoking pile of car remains and body parts. I think people drive astoundingly well on the whole.

My little M3's AP is mostly towards the lower end of the skill curve for now, but not the worst, and making progress.

Looking at all this friction, it looks like venting whatever emotions by flipping the bird is way WAY more efficient, for all parties involved, than this petty legalistic BS about one's rights, or wanting to hand in dashcam recordings of evil transgressors and scofflaws to the police. Sheesh!

When I look at all the cars in the streets, or dancing together in fast freeway driving, what amazes me is that they don't all coalesce, within minutes, into a smoking pile of car remains and body parts. I think people drive astoundingly well on the whole.

My little M3's AP is mostly towards the lower end of the skill curve for now, but not the worst, and making progress.
I agree that people drive well since, so far, they always managed to avoid me !

As a car driver, I find motorcycle drivers in California mostly terrifying (lane splitting seems to be almost always done unsafely and illegally). Can you elaborate on what you meant by this?

I'm sure as drivers, we've all encountered the slow Prius drivers in the fast lane. I'm using that stereotyping to describe what could be hate on Model 3 drivers as a new group. Now with HOV lanes, I really have to ask why use that lane if it isn't for the benefit of driving faster than other lanes? Maximizing fuel efficiency in the HOV lane and blocking all the traffic. Yes as a motorcyclist, I split lanes, but to block the passing with a car that doesn't need the full width of the lane?

With more Model 3s are on the road, I see the same behaviors. AP puts the car in the dead center of the lane so if I am to pass I need to pace for the right safe moment. I'm sure at this time the driver thinks this is such an unsafe (a$$hole) rider when its the driver hogging up the road. Also, I've seen them with AP set and a whole mass of cars following. Regardless if its AP or not, I can feel the breathing down my neck if I was the driver not going fast enough and move over.

I'm sure as drivers, we've all encountered the slow Prius drivers in the fast lane. I'm using that stereotyping to describe what could be hate on Model 3 drivers as a new group. Now with HOV lanes, I really have to ask why use that lane if it isn't for the benefit of driving faster than other lanes? Maximizing fuel efficiency in the HOV lane and blocking all the traffic. Yes as a motorcyclist, I split lanes, but to block the passing with a car that doesn't need the full width of the lane?

With more Model 3s are on the road, I see the same behaviors. AP puts the car in the dead center of the lane so if I am to pass I need to pace for the right safe moment. I'm sure at this time the driver thinks this is such an unsafe (a$$hole) rider when its the driver hogging up the road. Also, I've seen them with AP set and a whole mass of cars following. Regardless if its AP or not, I can feel the breathing down my neck if I was the driver not going fast enough and move over.
Dont come to NY and split lanes. Good way to end up behind bars, and not the drinkin' kind. Its illegal here...lol

• Informative
Reactions: electrictorque
Status
Not open for further replies.