Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some thoughts after 2 weeks.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In no particular order:

- no need for the performance version. As a previous Prius owner, the jump to an MS is crazy. To a performance version it would have been dangerous.

- after two weeks of going electric, it seems to me that the last century of ICE innovation is just trying to make the most of a fundamentally flawed way of moving a car. Other than energy density, gas sucks.

- I'm glad I got the 85 battery. I've started planning some longer trips for the summer.

- for the first time in 26 years of driving, I'm looking for excuses to go places.

- 3G in a car is pretty cool. But how is it going to seem in 5 years? It's already slow when compared to my LTE iPhone.

- why is everyone staring at me?

- it's very easy to achieve rated Km's, even with the heater on and the temp around 0 C. Maybe it's the Prius training. I drove 75km of city and highway the other day and was able to average about 170 kw/km with a projected range of about way above rated of 300km (Numbers from vague memory).

- I love plugging the car in at night and then just watching it charge. I hope I get over this soon. It's not healthy.

- regenerative breaking is way better than on the Prius.

- I haven't had a single quality issue. Still on version 4.2.

- I have washed a car twice in my life...this week and last week.

- my wife drove the car. Yes, everything is okay.

- will there be one or two supercharging sites between Toronto and Montreal?

In no particular order:

- no need for the performance version. As a previous Prius owner, the jump to an MS is crazy. To a performance version it would have been dangerous.

- after two weeks of going electric, it seems to me that the last century of ICE innovation is just trying to make the most of a fundamentally flawed way of moving a car. Other than energy density, gas sucks.

- I'm glad I got the 85 battery. I've started planning some longer trips for the summer.

- for the first time in 26 years of driving, I'm looking for excuses to go places.

- 3G in a car is pretty cool. But how is it going to seem in 5 years? It's already slow when compared to my LTE iPhone.

- it's very easy to achieve rated Km's, even with the heater on and the temp around 0 C. Maybe it's the Prius training. I drove 75km of city and highway the other day and was able to average about 170 kw/km with a projected range of about way above rated of 300km (Numbers from vague memory).

- I love plugging the car in at night and then just watching it charge. I hope I get over this soon. It's not healthy.

- regenerative breaking is way better than on the Prius.

- I have washed a car twice in my life...this week and last week.

- my wife drove the car. Yes, everything is okay.

- will there be one or two supercharging sites between Toronto and Montreal?
Get used to it. You're driving the best car in the world; made by a company that still many have never heard of.
Did your wife enjoy driving it? )

Congratulations. Always happy to hear about more Teslas in Ontario. Just FYI there are a number of local groups at your disposal.
If you are west of the GTA, you might want to check out the Golden Horseshoe Electric Vehicle Association (Home). In Toronto, check out the Electric Vehicle Society of Canada (Convert to Electric Propulsion|Electric Vehicle Society of Canada) which also meets monthy or TEVA.
I'm sure we would all like to hear more about your experiences.

You're doing better than me :smile: I drive from the GTA to the Waterloo Region for work every day... mostly freeway and I have been trying to keep my speed down, but seem to be averaging just under 400 Wh/mi (about 250 Wh/km). Seems to be getting better as the weather warms up.

Literally spent the weekend aimlessly driving around! Both to get used to the car and because I REALLY needed the cup of sugar from the other side of town ;)

I agree with this sentiment. Couple things are pretty slow around Ottawa. Even with full signal.

I've gotten everything from waves, to thumbs up through open windows in the rain and smiling pointing. You really notice it when you're stopped and the people behind you point at your car or lift their sunglasses and squint.

Have a LOT of issues it seems. Eagerly await my 4.3 slot.

Yes, we're all "roaming" on the AT&T network.

Even with 3 Mbps down, it's slow. Have you tried this website on the touchscreen yet?

I hope when the data plans come out that we'll be directly on a Canadian network (Telus, Rogers, Bell). We must be tunneling through one of these Cdn networks now anyway. I know OnStar connected directly to Bell in Canada (not sure who they used in the US - probably AT&T) and don't see any reason why Tesla couldn't negotiate something similar.

It does seem slow, but I have 45 Mbps down at home, so I just thought it was a relative thing in my mind.

I hope when the data plans come out that we'll be directly on a Canadian network (Telus, Rogers, Bell). We must be tunneling through one of these Cdn networks now anyway.

I've compared my rogers iPhone 5 signal to the one in the car and the strength changes don't seem to match. So I don't think they're tunnelling rogers towers.

I'm scared/nervous/anxious for the Canada cell plan announcement. Though I have a feeling it'll take a LOT longer to sort out. It took a full YEAR for apple to negotiate a cell carrier in Canada.

It does seem slow, but I have 45 Mbps down at home, so I just thought it was a relative thing in my mind.

Try 250 Mbps at home to this car. I swear I have web data loading ADD.

I've compared my rogers iPhone 5 signal to the one in the car and the strength changes don't seem to match. So I don't think they're tunnelling rogers towers.

My personal iPhone is on Telus and my work BlackBerry is on Bell, so I'll have to keep an eye out to see if I can find a correlation between one of those and the car. I believe Telus and Bell share some infrastructure, but I do know of spots where one will work better than the other.

mknox, if you are in Toronto, your are riding on Bell whatever you have a Telus or Bell phone. That's the very reason why the Bell and Telus have bigger footprint for 3G (HSPA), 3G+ (HSPA+) and 4G LTE.

I confirmed with my colleague that VPN tunneling for a roaming partner doesn't impact speed.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope when the data plans come out that we'll be directly on a Canadian network (Telus, Rogers, Bell). We must be tunneling through one of these Cdn networks now anyway. I know OnStar connected directly to Bell in Canada (not sure who they used in the US - probably AT&T) and don't see any reason why Tesla couldn't negotiate something similar.

Can I ask a dumb question? What will the connectivity package provide?

Slacker access (internet radio) what else?

will NAV be impacted (i have the tech package)? like traffic info?
web sites should be accessible with tehtering isn't it?
updates will be accessible via wi-fi or tethering (or even through the built-in 3G since it is not user triggered)