Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some thoughts on my LRM3 at 10k miles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my car back on August 3, 2018 and have driven 10,000 miles for my M-F commute for work. I won’t go into specific grading or ratings about the aspects of the car and my experience so far; just general notes and interesting observations. Overall, I’m extremely satisfied with the car and must say it is the best one I’ve owned.

1. I have very minimal tire wear on all four corners (despite not having my 19 in. tires rotated yet and which I need to do). Very impressed with the setup, no alignment issues, but then again I am not one to floor the accelerator or screech the tires in turns and I take speed bumps and dips very gingerly. Average cruising speed is 75-80mph with EAP on about 60% of the time.

2. My self-installed Suntek PPF film has held up nicely, albeit it has absorbed many bugs and road debris. Since the edges weren’t wrapped, it is beginning to show a dirt line along the edge where it can’t get cleaned, so it’s noticeable when you get up close to my white car.

3. The front hood and bumper were protected well, but my biggest gripe out of my entire experience with my car is the amount of rock pits and chips my windshield has sustained over the course of 10k driving. The biggest culprit is the South OC 5 freeway from Mission Viejo down to San Clemente because of the freeway construction. I get livid every single time I see these chunks of black “bullets” get picked up by a tire and blasts my glass :( If anyone has recommendations for a rock chip filler epoxy I would appreciate it!

4. The car is pretty easy to wash and maintain because of the large glass surfaces, although peculiarly the rear of the car attracts dust and dirt like it’s statically stuck to the trunk and rear bumper. I wonder if it’s because of the magnetic motor? Just how much electro-magnetism are we exposing ourselves to?

5. Being on the EV-TOU5 plan with SDGE, my monthly electricity charging and costs have maintained consistent between $50-60 a month. My total month bill is around $180. Should I go solar?

6. My insurance from AAA is very high on my M3. They consider it “exotic”. On one hand that makes me feel good about myself, the other, hmm maybe I’m being scammed? Just how much can I save by going to someone else, just for the M3 as my other two cars and home are covered under AAA. I like AAA because they are pretty easy to work with for claims.

7. I’m considering either cosmetic upgrades: like painted calipers, powder-coating the wheels, and a rear trunk accessory like a spoiler or chrome trim piece
or performance: a set of comfort coil-overs from MPP or the brake upgrades (front, rear, lines). I’m leaning towards the cheaper options but the idea of an improved ride, stance, and look from the MPP products seem enticing...

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond