Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Tidal interface questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! That sounds like good news, is that true of the bundled Tesla account that comes with Premium Connectivity, or only with an actual premium Spotify account? If so, I might just try the bundled Spotify for a bit and see how I get on. Obviously, it has limited functionality, but it looks like there's a workaround you can do to publish playlists from a free Spotify account and still find/favourite them on the Tesla account.
The Spotify audio quality sounded the same to me whether I'm logged in to my premium account or not. You could try the 1-month Tidal subscription to see if it gives better quality (comparing it with the bundled Spotify account as the base would work since it's unlikely that Premium account would be worse).

They only need an email to get started so it's possible to try it for as long as you'd like :) .

I'm actually still on trial period work Spotify. They offer a 3-month trial for certain cases (for me it is because I have a Samsung phone).

Reactions: AutomaticMan
The Spotify audio quality sounded the same to me whether I'm logged in to my premium account or not. You could try the 1-month Tidal subscription to see if it gives better quality (comparing it with the bundled Spotify account as the base would work since it's unlikely that Premium account would be worse).

They only need an email to get started so it's possible to try it for as long as you'd like :) .

I'm actually still on trial period work Spotify. They offer a 3-month trial for certain cases (for me it is because I have a Samsung phone).

Thanks! Yeah, I tried it out yesterday and I think bundled Spotify will be the solution for me! At least unless they do roll out an Apple Music app at some point.

Last edited:
Tidal download is clearly better than tidal streaming but between spotify and tidal if you're not downloading there's not much in it.. they're both quite bandwidth limited.

That said they're both adequate.. it's a car not a hifi listening studio.

I stick to tidal and download the things I listen to a lot, and rely on streaming the rest of the time.

The other thing worth mentioning is that Spotify never seems to update its playlists on the Tesla. For example 'Daily Drive' is anything but daily, having not changed the list of songs since I first got the car in 2019. Tidal seems to have that nailed and regularly refreshes the mixes (which can be a double edged sword if it's had an excellent mix selection then changes it for less good one,...).

Reactions: Cossa
Does the "pausing playback before you leave" trick work for this? No idea but just thought I'd throw it out there. Then when you get in again you wait for it to recognise the USB then unhit pause.
Thanks for the suggestion, hadn't tried that. I've had a couple of goes at it now and it didn't help, sadly. Interestingly, instead of tbe previous silence in place of USB playback, it now jumps to Tidal playback.

Even Interestinglyer, Tidal wasn't the source I was using before switching to USB, and it seems to be playing a non-existent playlist curated from my downloaded tracks. It's almost as if Tesla acknowdges the USB continuation problem, can't fix it and here's a work around.

Ho hum.

Reactions: Nick77
Tidal can be fooled into thinking you're on wireless by tethering to your phone (which is wireless, but not in the "home broadband" sense). Tidal HIFI is high quality, certainly night and day better than Spotify, which doesn't seem to change over LTE or wireless that I can tell.

Tidal can be fooled into thinking you're on wireless by tethering to your phone (which is wireless, but not in the "home broadband" sense). Tidal HIFI is high quality, certainly night and day better than Spotify, which doesn't seem to change over LTE or wireless that I can tell.
I could believe that Tidal HiFi offers hugely improved audio quality, but I honestly could not tell the difference between in-car Tidal HiFi and Spotify since an update from December (shortly after they introduced Tidal).

I had spent a couple hours then trialing various songs to compare Tidal and Spotify when Tidal was first released, before committing to the subscription. At the time, Spotify was decidedly offering lower quality, but that is no longer the case for me.

Please could you suggest a song that you'd consider giving drastically different audio between Spotify and Tidal/Tidal HiFi?.