Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some videos from YouTube about other manufacturers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Readers / audiences don't like being manipulated. If you are trying to say that Tesla's Autopilot Feature is not adequately tested, say it out front and don't lead people on. Doing this makes you seem sleazzy and shady.

Exactly my thought. Most industry tests are not on YouTube. Just because you happen to find a Mercedes test video, does not mean their process is superior or inferior when compared to whatever process Tesla may have. Nor does it mean that one company is suddenly more transparent than the other, I'm sure Elon has posted videos of a Tesla being tested in some form.

A few videos do not exemplify an adequate data set.

I am sure Tesla tests their software and hardware. It is too much of a financial, legal, P.R., and moral risk for it to be untested.

I will agree that its not reassuring to engage a driving feature marked as "Beta." But at the same time, how advanced are the Volvo, Mercedes, and Cadillac systems... and how do you know they don't equate to the same level as Tesla?

At least Tesla's Autopilot is learning and updated regularly. If you bought a 2017 Mercedes Benz E Class with Autonomous Driving tech, To get an updated version of Mercedes' self driving tech, you were limited to around 25% driving functionality. To get the newest, and possibly more "safe" tech, and get over 85% driving functionality (Mercedes' words, not mine... i'll link the article later, I was debating on getting an E class of a Model 3) you would need to purchase a 2018 E-Class from Mercedes and ditch your 2017 model. No free updates to the system!

It is up to Telsa to provide transparency --- and ensure the safety of its users AND the bystanders

I am a systems integrator --- the whole tesla situation is unbelievable to me --- Autopilot is a huge liabilty I couldn't imagine any company assuming......

The whole beta-testing in public, AND CHARGING THE CLIENT FOR THE BETA PRODUCT, is something I have never seen before

I really am stunned the US government allowed this, and expect continued heavy losses for the consumers (in the form of death) and heavy manufacturer losses (in the form of lawsuits and consumer reparations)

• Disagree
Reactions: TT97 and Runt8
Airplane is for child :p

h5sz7lfrone01.png

Oh thanks for the great chuckle. No, not "everyone". In fact (shocker, I know), not "everyone" even has internet access. There are some Tesla owners (some on this forum) who don't use smart phones. There are tons of people who still go to the library to look up info.

you can't own a Tesla without internet access (LTE or wifi) -- how else can you get OTA?

And that must mean Tesla really misjudged the whole "phone as key" situation --- they were silly when they thought all Tesla owners had smartphones they could use as car keys......

And yet --- they ****ed that up too regardless

No one claimed the 2017 Honda Freed is a supercomputer --- but in public testing it performs better than any Tesla....

Whatever conclusions that are generated from that - I'll leave that up to you....Shrimpboy

I’m not sure how you’re making this conclusion. The test the Tesla failed - where the car its following suddenly changes lanes, leaving a stopped car just ahead - is one that most TACC systems would also fail. Same with the Joshua Brown tractor trailer crash - lane-keeping systems are not designed to work on roads with cross traffic. A Tesla would pass the Freed test here and certainly has, many times. Just because they didn’t post a video doesn’t mean they didn’t do it.

Airplane is for child :p

h5sz7lfrone01.png

Elon Musk does not design rockets --- he hired the laid-off NASA engineers

Elon musk did not design those rockets, nor did he design the system that lands them on barges

I hate when people assume that when Space-X does something right, that it validates the dumb decisions made by Tesla

The people who design Space X rockets do not design Tesla automobiles

Elon Musk does neither --- He has proven he is not an engineer or scientist of any kind

It is up to Telsa to provide transparency --- and ensure the safety of its users AND the bystanders

I am a systems integrator --- the whole tesla situation is unbelievable to me --- Autopilot is a huge liabilty I couldn't imagine any company assuming......

The whole beta-testing in public, AND CHARGING THE CLIENT FOR THE BETA PRODUCT, is something I have never seen before

I really am stunned the US government allowed this, and expect continued heavy losses for the consumers (in the form of death) and heavy manufacturer losses (in the form of lawsuits and consumer reparations)
And this speaks to your lack of understanding on the program. Tesla uses the term 'beta' differently than most. As with any company, there is terminology unique to the company's definition. If you want to equate the software sold to the general consumer as beta, then what do you call the in-house testing, the testing with professional drivers, the testing with EAP participants?

When doctors use a medical device on you or a family member, it's been tested to meet regulatory requirements. YOU are not typically privy to the data, that's confidential - you only have access to understanding what the regulatory guidance requires. Are you equally outraged over that? Tesla has regulatory requirements to meet before they put their cars on the road.

Just because a manufacturer puts their program on YouTube doesn't translate to 'transparency'. But it appears you're here for the drama with the whole 'continued heavy losses for the consumers (in the form of death)'.

I’m not sure how you’re making this conclusion. The test the Tesla failed - where the car its following suddenly changes lanes, leaving a stopped car just ahead - is one that most TACC systems would also fail. Same with the Joshua Brown tractor trailer crash - lane-keeping systems are not designed to work on roads with cross traffic. A Tesla would pass the Freed test here and certainly has, many times. Just because they didn’t post a video doesn’t mean they didn’t do it.

GM Supercruise is only available on highways that have already been mapped by LIDAR --- thereby reducing the risks

Reactions: cwerdna
you can't own a Tesla without internet access (LTE or wifi) -- how else can you get OTA?

And that must mean Tesla really misjudged the whole "phone as key" situation --- they were silly when they thought all Tesla owners had smartphones they could use as car keys......

And yet --- they ****ed that up too regardless

You seem like you're on a mission.

People without wifi access can use the service center for downloads. I also have gotten OTAs when on roadtrips - the car uses Tesla's access, not mine, when away from the house. Model 3s also have a key card.

It sounds like you don't own a Tesla with some of these statements. True?

And this speaks to your lack of understanding on the program. Tesla uses the term 'beta' differently than most. As with any company, there is terminology unique to the company's definition. If you want to equate the software sold to the general consumer as beta, then what do you call the in-house testing, the testing with professional drivers, the testing with EAP participants?

When doctors use a medical device on you or a family member, it's been tested to meet regulatory requirements. YOU are not typically privy to the data, that's confidential - you only have access to understanding what the regulatory guidance requires. Are you equally outraged over that? Tesla has regulatory requirements to meet before they put their cars on the road.

Just because a manufacturer puts their program on YouTube doesn't translate to 'transparency'. But it appears you're here for the drama with the whole 'continued heavy losses for the consumers (in the form of death)'. So I'm out.

Being transparent in 2018 involves social media --- for any industry

I thought Tesla was suppose to be "modern"

You are correct, they SHOULD. However, the mere fact that there are not as many (if any) videos on YouTube of such tests taking place while you are able to find a few videos from their competitors does NOT mean that they do not test nor does it mean that their cars are any less or more safer than the competition.

One can argue that since Tesla was essentially the first car company to provide Autonomous Driving in mass their systems may be more knowledgeable and possibly safer than their competitors. With that same logic, one can say that since their are so many Auto Pilot enabled Teslas out in the wild, their are more chances for a Tesla in AP mode to be involved in an accident.

Give it some time and you will see an article about Volvo or Mercedes being involved in Autonomous Driving accident. We already saw one with an Uber Volvo on a public road (granted it was being tested... but it was still on a public road).

Ok, so you're a "systems integrator". One of the teams I oversee at my work is the Quality Assurance team for our mobile applications and company website, so I have some knowledge of software quality control. However, neither one of us has any knowledge on Tesla's, Mercedes', Volvo's ACTUAL testing procedure. We do not know how much they test, what they test, how long they have tested, what their methodology is, how much money or time is spent on testing. Therefore, our experience gives us no expertise to judge.

Yes you have, you just have not been aware of it. You likely saw an original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, iPhone 6S, etc... How about any of the early Android phones. Each one of them had flaws that were not caught in beta and improved upon later.

I bet you there were tons of beta products that you use each day but were not sold to you as "beta."

Granted, they don't put your life at risk... but you can't make a blanket statement like that. Again, you do NOT know if Mercedes' or Volvo's testing is better than Tesla's nor the results of the testing.

The government allows for a lot of things. More people die in beta-tested car accidents in ICE vehicles due to Human error than have ever died in Tesla's due to Autopilot mode.

Also, many established companies that deal with safety have released products with fatal flaws. See the Takata Airbag Recall, which basically turned the airbags of millions of cars into grenades. Takata air bags recall expands to 3.3 million vehicles

Basically, I am saying that your belief that a YouTube video of Volvo or Mercedes testing their car once equates a safer experience is wrong. Do they have any videos of how many times their systems failed? I doubt it... and I guarantee you they failed many, many times.

Reactions: bonnie
You seem like you're on a mission.

I am on a mission -- I was entranced by Tesla's dual screens back around 2015 --- I am an electrical engineer by education and a long term field technician by trade (before I became an engineer --- I saved up to pay for my education)

Telsa's validation system / safety testing --- puts their customers in danger

Do you disagree with that?

GM Supercruise is only available on highways that have already been mapped by LIDAR --- thereby reducing the risks

At the same time greatly reducing the number of accidents avoided / lives saved by autopilot. I agree Tesla is perhaps too loose in allowing autopilot on city streets with traffic lights, etc., but that’s the responsibility of the driver who chooses to use it there. And it has nothing to do with your claim that Tesla doesn’t test autopilot. As for the term beta, that’s to emphasize the need for awareness to drivers - and to Telegraph that there will be ongoing improvements which there have been.

I only use autopilot on divided highways and interstates, and it is helpful and leaves me less fatigued from the drive. I can focus more on the cars around me and not waste cycles micromanaging my throttle and steering. And if I take my eyes off of the road briefly to change the music or respond to my daughter, I know that the car’s not going to veer into the next lane. Makes me safer.

That’s all for me. I’m done feeding trolls for the night.

Reactions: bonnie
If you look at my prior quotes -- you will see I reached out to a fellow TMC member to test drive his/her MS --- I have always been transparent on this forum
So that explains your lack of knowledge re your assumptions about the cars. Do you think it's possible you might not also fully understand the testing program?

I am on a mission -- I was entranced by Tesla's dual screens back around 2015 --- I am an electrical engineer by education and a long term field technician by trade (before I became an engineer --- I saved up to pay for my education)

Telsa's validation system / safety testing --- puts their customers in danger

Do you disagree with that?

Ugh. I truly hate to play this 'well I'm this in my career' game, but it seems important to you. I'm a software engineer by training, have run a fairly large multi-displinary engineering organization, designing software-driven complex electro-mechanical critical systems. I ran quality and regulatory for a Fortune 100 company, which included software verification & validation teams and final design validation teams for Class II and Class III medical devices. That's not even touching on the regulatory functions I oversaw. I also paid for my own education, going back with a baby on my hip after walking out of a bad situation. I've supplied training to FDA investigators, teaching them how to properly evaluate V&V planning and results. I do know a little something about this field. Okay now?

Tesla's validation system / safety testing do not put people in danger, unless (like with any product) they believe they know better than the company. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't own the car. And I sure wouldn't drive people around that I care about if I believed that.

I've interacted with the company for 7+ years. I have zero worries. You do not have any knowledge of what Tesla does, except what you find on social media. And that is not a source.