Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some videos from YouTube about other manufacturers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit confused as for the purpose of this post. Are we implying that Tesla doesn't test like this? Doesn't test at all? Or just purely talking about how other companies test Autopilot?

There is always this to demonstrate your new Pedestrian Detection System:

Oh damn, that is horrible. Poor guy, its like you can hear the bones breaking (hoping that was something else).

and how do you know Tesla doesn't test these type of scenarios? because it's not on youtube? lol

That's how the rest of the automotive industry creates rapport with consumers -- make their vehicles/systems validation procedures available to the general public....

"Social media" -- for better or for worse --- is how a lot of things are "hashed out" now-a-days

I'm just pointing out how automobile manufacturers make their testing data available to us normal peasants

And how Tesla doesn't participate in this

That's how the rest of the automotive industry creates rapport with consumers -- make their vehicles/systems validation procedures available to the general public....

"Social media" -- for better or for worse --- is how a lot of things are "hashed out" now-a-days

I'm just pointing out how automobile manufacturers make their testing data available to us normal peasants

Great. Does the rest of the automotive industry include a company that delays for 10 years before finally coming clean with ignition key problems causing death? Yes.

Does the rest of the industry include a company (or, a group of companies, including their close German competitors) that defrauds the world with their "clean diesel", causing thousands of deaths that they'll walk away from? Yes.

And the list goes on. The "rest of the automotive industry" has uncounted huge numbers of skeletons in their closet.

I get that you don't like Autopilot. I disagree with your methods (passive aggressive anecdotal and not completely researched examples), and your conclusion, however hidden and "innocent" you attempt to make it.

Internet searches & youtube are not a definitive answer :). As I've already pointed out, Tesla does have an owner testing program.

I beg to disagree -- we are living in a society where internet/youtube data is increasingly used for consumer purchasing decisions -- I can state (with a hefty degree of confidence) that everyone relies on internet/youtube (and Reddit) for information when making important decisions.

A perfect example: I'm travelling to the Philippines in August and have to assess the financial and security risks associated with this trip -- and while it isn't as bad as travelling to Afghanistan --- it isn't the same as travelling to Tokyo in terms of security risks --- and guess what the US State Department recommended to me in terms of assessing the risks?

Check the internet and youtube

Great. Does the rest of the automotive industry include a company that delays for 10 years before finally coming clean with ignition key problems causing death? Yes.

Does the rest of the industry include a company (or, a group of companies, including their close German competitors) that defrauds the world with their "clean diesel", causing thousands of deaths that they'll walk away from? Yes.

And the list goes on. The "rest of the automotive industry" has uncounted huge numbers of skeletons in their closet.

I get that you don't like Autopilot. I disagree with your methods (passive aggressive anecdotal and not completely researched examples), and your conclusion, however hidden and "innocent" you attempt to make it.

You are neglecting to take into account that the rest of the automotive industry produces more than 3 models of cars

And you are utilizing the "strawman" to an extreme degree --- Honda is my favorite car company

I have a framed copy of this in my man-cave ---- Tesla has a long way to go before they can compare to Honda in terms of technology and manufacturing

Honda is one of the very few companies that achieves the highest degree of performance reliable/affordable/efficiency while at the same time achieving incredible technological achievement

01-2.jpg

I have a framed copy of this in my man-cave ---- Tesla has a long way to go before they can compare to Honda in terms of technology and manufacturing

Honda is one of the very few companies that achieves the highest degree of performance reliable/affordable/efficiency while at the same time achieving incredible technological achievement

01-2.jpg
Wonder how well the Autopilot works in that thing.

I think posting the youtube search results answer your question --- sorry if my implications were too vague

Readers / audiences don't like being manipulated. If you are trying to say that Tesla's Autopilot Feature is not adequately tested, say it out front and don't lead people on. Doing this makes you seem sleazzy and shady.

and how do you know Tesla doesn't test these type of scenarios? because it's not on youtube? lol

Exactly my thought. Most industry tests are not on YouTube. Just because you happen to find a Mercedes test video, does not mean their process is superior or inferior when compared to whatever process Tesla may have. Nor does it mean that one company is suddenly more transparent than the other, I'm sure Elon has posted videos of a Tesla being tested in some form.

A few videos do not exemplify an adequate data set.

I am sure Tesla tests their software and hardware. It is too much of a financial, legal, P.R., and moral risk for it to be untested.

I will agree that its not reassuring to engage a driving feature marked as "Beta." But at the same time, how advanced are the Volvo, Mercedes, and Cadillac systems... and how do you know they don't equate to the same level as Tesla?

At least Tesla's Autopilot is learning and updated regularly. If you bought a 2017 Mercedes Benz E Class with Autonomous Driving tech, to get an updated version of Mercedes' self driving tech, you were limited to around 25% driving functionality. To get the newest, and possibly more "safe" tech, and get over 85% driving functionality (Mercedes' words, not mine... i'll link the article later, I was debating on getting an E class of a Model 3) you would need to purchase a 2018 E-Class from Mercedes and ditch your 2017 model. No free updates to the system!

I beg to disagree -- we are living in a society where internet/youtube data is increasingly used for consumer purchasing decisions -- I can state (with a hefty degree of confidence) that everyone relies on internet/youtube (and Reddit) for information when making important decisions.

A perfect example: I'm travelling to the Philippines in August and have to assess the financial and security risks associated with this trip -- and while it isn't as bad as travelling to Afghanistan --- it isn't the same as travelling to Tokyo in terms of security risks --- and guess what the US State Department recommended to me in terms of assessing the risks?

Check the internet and youtube
Oh thanks for the great chuckle. No, not "everyone". In fact (shocker, I know), not "everyone" even has internet access. There are some Tesla owners (some on this forum) who don't use smart phones. There are tons of people who still go to the library to look up info.

RE the recommendation from the US State Department: If you're on their website, it's a fair assumption on their part that you have internet access. :) I'm sure they offer help in other forms, that you wouldn't see if you're just relying on internet info.

In any case, I'm not sure why you're making such strong pronouncements regarding something of which you have no first-hand knowledge. Just irritated because you couldn't find Tesla's program on youtube? Or?