Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somebody else has my same license plate in the same state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this the plate you were looking for
Tesla wash plate.jpg

How is it possible for some one to go that long and not get caught, multiple times?

Well the poster of the picture is in Oregon if you believe their location listing. So maybe the car is down in Oregon and the Oregon cops just aren't paying that much attention to the year sticker. However, rpo did say that the car was regularly crossing 520 which tends to point away from this theory.

Regardless of all that it's actually probably fairly easy for someone to get away without a valid plate for a long time around Seattle. Lots of traffic, not a ton of cops and they're often busy dealing with accidents or other significant incidents. The stickers are only on the back so you have to have a cop see the rear plate and notice the sticker, which practically requires being right behind you. I'm also sure that expired registrations are low priority enforcements for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Saved the image and took a look to see if there's any metadata. There isn't. So can't tell what date or where the picture was taken. It also looks to me like there's another plate under the OHM plate based on the non-aligned bottom holes. Very interesting mystery.

Well the poster of the picture is in Oregon if you believe their location listing. So maybe the car is down in Oregon and the Oregon cops just aren't paying that much attention to the year sticker. However, rpo did say that the car was regularly crossing 520 which tends to point away from this theory.

You can believe my location. I do live in Oregon. The picture is from one of my FB friends (never meet the person). I sent the persons info to rpo in a private message.
Now off I go for a drive on this nice long weekend.

Regardless of all that it's actually probably fairly easy for someone to get away without a valid plate for a long time around Seattle. Lots of traffic, not a ton of cops and they're often busy dealing with accidents or other significant incidents. The stickers are only on the back so you have to have a cop see the rear plate and notice the sticker, which practically requires being right behind you. I'm also sure that expired registrations are low priority enforcements for them.

I don't know about that. I was about a week late on my other car and got a ticket from a parking cop (and it wasn't in a metered or restricted spot). Have heard that story from a number of people. I also got a ticket driving a different car that was expired. So my experience is that you can't go very long before you get tagged.

I don't know about that. I was about a week late on my other car and got a ticket from a parking cop (and it wasn't in a metered or restricted spot). Have heard that story from a number of people. I also got a ticket driving a different car that was expired. So my experience is that you can't go very long before you get tagged.

Parking officers have license plate readers, the system alerts them anytime it sees an expired plate, stolen plate, etc... So street parking does expose you to a lot more opportunities to get a ticket. I wasn't really thinking about that since I practically never park on the street around Seattle.

In which state can you search what plates are available? Oregon is quite clear that this isn't possible here...

When I was deciding on a new custom plate, in Oregon, I used CARFAX as my first line to see if it was available or not. (And you don't even have to pay, but all you get to see is the Year, Make, and Model, but that is plenty.)