Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somebody scratches my windshield.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not an impact, you can clearly see some circular human made shape. :(
Did anybody was able to fix/buff such a thing and how much did it cost ? (MR3).
How deep is the scratch? Can you catch a finger in it? If you squirt it with some WD 40 does it go away?

Buffing a scratch in glass is not going to be an easy thing to do. Especially because I believe the model 3 uses a laminate and has UV/IR coatings on it, so the outer layers may not polish normally.....pics would help. Did sentry mode catch anything?

How deep is the scratch? Can you catch a finger in it? If you squirt it with some WD 40 does it go away?

Buffing a scratch in glass is not going to be an easy thing to do. Especially because I believe the model 3 uses a laminate and has UV/IR coatings on it, so the outer layers may not polish normally.....pics would help. Did sentry mode catch anything?
I'll try to take pics. There is a very tiny spot which kind of catch the nail.
Unfortnately I had sentry mode on but i am not familiar how to tape things. I didn't have a memory card connect to the car so i believe i am sol. But i will get on that now, because of the nature of the scratch, it is no doubt vandalism...really annoys me.

15741039069326174866421347656536.jpg
15741040157562347791226389075770.jpg

Here it is, i did my best. To my best knowledge, it doesn't look like i need another windshield as far as safety is concerned. If i don't need too, i won't replace it since i already replaced it because if a stone impact with a big crack in Spring.
Anyhow, all inputs are welcome.
Thais the top left corner of the windshield. The grey stuff are just my finger prints trying to scrub it initially.

View attachment 478371 View attachment 478372
Here it is, i did my best. To my best knowledge, it doesn't look like i need another windshield as far as safety is concerned. If i don't need too, i won't replace it since i already replaced it because if a stone impact with a big crack in Spring.
Anyhow, all inputs are welcome.
Thais the top left corner of the windshield. The grey stuff are just my finger prints trying to scrub it initially.
Wow, that looks really bad. I'm sorry for your luck man but that's probably not going to buff out. If it's not structural then live with it that's my advice. also make sure you get yourself a USB stick, there's lots of instructions about the appropriate ones on this forum and how to set it up. you might be able to go through your insurance to get a replace as vandalism, but without a video to back it up I think that's unlikely and you still have the deductible to worry about anyway. look on the bright side at least they didn't scratch your paint, that would be much more annoying for me anyway.

Thanks for the input guys.
Actually I dropped by a windshield shop today. The good news is he doesn't think the windshield needs to be replaced. The bad news, he was very hesitant about trying to buff it...
I know, i am not the only victim of vandalism, but is that ever frustrating !
What is the point ? You can't even park your car in town for a couple hours...

Actually I dropped by a windshield shop today. The good news is he doesn't think the windshield needs to be replaced. The bad news, he was very hesitant about trying to buff it...

I think that is the point. Some people hate Teslas and everything they stand for.

When I was able to afford nice cars I figured I was able to pay for secure parking when going into Montreal.

It doesn't guarantee your car's total safety but its got to be better than parking outside on the city streets

When I was able to afford nice cars I figured I was able to pay for secure parking when going into Montreal.

It doesn't guarantee your car's total safety but its got to be better than parking outside on the city streets

Well, it certainly doesn't. The car was parked at the vieux port in a 10$ an hour parking leveled on a dedicated charging spot, charging...
At home the car is in my private garage.
So beside paying somebody to stand beside my car with a gun when I take my kids to some events on the vieux port Sunday afternoon, I am not sure what I can do...

Just bad luck unfortunately. I haved parked my model 3 overnight on the street in downtown Montreal a dozen times, when visiting from Ontario and have had no incidents. Others have had their cars totally keyed and now windows scratched.