Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somebody selling my wrecked model 3 VIN in a different car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it could be an issue. I've come to a conclusion based on the error messages on the pic, from my experience you see those error messages about "software update required" only when you swap ICE and the version of firmware on ICE / GW is different from version installed on actual hardware modules. I'm surprised if it still alive since contactors would not close in this situation and car wouldn't charge.
VIN number in the UI can be changed it just a file on the file system, changing VIN in the gateway config would require tesla production pk.
Mileage on the other hand even if it out for date would be update form HI Res odometer on DU, so it should not be an issue.

Side question- what is wrong with progressive (compared to other insurers)? I ask as we just switched to Progressive.
Hi, it's a great valid question. We don't think anything is necessarily "wrong" with Progressive, so I hope my comment did not come across rudely. It's just not on the list of my wife's favorite companies for insurance, so we don't have it and never did. It is really just a personal opinion of hers. It's based on the fact that for about 25 years she has processed claims (her clients, insurance companies not wanting to reduce payments for damages) for just about every insurance company on the planet. She's done something like 7,000 claims.

The problem is this, and not to single out progressive specifically. There are a few companies in her "I hate to deal with them" group. Example, let's say someone rear-ends your car, and as part of that damage, they destroy your exhaust system. Some companies will not pay out the full value of replacement and some will. Just depends on your company and your coverage. "Generally" you get what you pay for, but not always. Most people will try to get the cheapest coverage, but it might cost you a lot more out of pocket when you have a claim.

Thus, one company might pay for the full replacement of the exhaust system, while another company will say something like, your car is "X" years old, and a typical exhaust, muffler, tail pipe, etc) will only last "Y" years before it rusts out and needs replacement. So we are going to deduct the percentage life of the system that you have used thus far and pay only for the remainder. Then there are often medical issues where they want to pay the minimum. Owners get upset, and come to the wife for help and she goes after the insurance company. So she has to deal with companies after an accident from angry policy holders. And before anyone jumps to conclusions, she is NOT a lawyer who gets 33% or 40% of the money. She gets a fixed salary.

So the bottom line from HER PERSPECTIVE is that all is well until you have an accident and that is when the insurance companies become not so nice because you are no longer dealing with your pleasant local representative. You get turned over to a claims adjuster following the book. Notice that they insurance companies use the word "ADJUSTER", not "PROCESSOR" ;) Progressive is really regressive about wanting to pay out money, RELATIVE to many other companies.

Again, just one person's opinion who has done this for a career. You might have better experience. Like every company, there will be happy customers and angry customers. Check reviews when choosing a company rather than just looking at cost. :) Personally we pay about 10% more than average for a company with a reputation for dealing more fairly with policy holders. If you have trouble getting settlement after an accident, get some help.

Apology to sidetrack the thread. just answering a question. Hopefully we get back on topic.

it could be an issue. I've come to a conclusion based on the error messages on the pic, from my experience you see those error messages about "software update required" only when you swap ICE and the version of firmware on ICE / GW is different from version installed on actual hardware modules. I'm surprised if it still alive since contactors would not close in this situation and car wouldn't charge.
VIN number in the UI can be changed it just a file on the file system, changing VIN in the gateway config would require tesla production pk.
Mileage on the other hand even if it out for date would be update form HI Res odometer on DU, so it should not be an issue.
Please tell me what led you to believe all of this that you are speculating on. The software upgrade required error is present when there is a mismatched module present. You are correct on that.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Please tell me what led you to believe all of this that you are speculating on. The software upgrade required error is present when there is a mismatched module present. You are correct on that.

There are only two possibilities they either swapped ICE from a totaled car without properly updating config, or fixed the car, reinstalled new seats and mb something else and didn't do software re-deploy to get everything up to date. In any case somebody didn't do their job right

Reactions: KrenGrl
I’m really not sure why this thread has blown up. There’s an advertisement for a car that was previously considered a total loss by an insurance company and auctioned off. Presumably repaired and now for sale. Nobody from this forum has visited the car, so I’m really not sure why we think something nefarious is going on here.

I got the same software update message. Didn’t swap the MCU, didn’t swap any hardware or electronics. It just needed a software update that Tesla was able to push to me over the air. In my case, it did not indicate mismatched electronics or firmware.

Reactions: dennisvab
I got the same software update message. Didn’t swap the MCU, didn’t swap any hardware or electronics. It just needed a software update that Tesla was able to push to me over the air. In my case, it did not indicate mismatched electronics or firmware.

You're not telling the full story here, most likely your previous firmware update failed. In my 4 years of working with tesla firmware S/X and now 3 this specific message doesn't show up randomly. You can only see this messages in two cases:

1. Your previous firmware update failed and you get partial install , something got updated and some modules failed , in this case tesla can push firmware redeploy and see if it fixes the problem

2. When you install a new module/component on to the car and it has different firmware version

3. When you replace MCU (same as #2 basically)

You're not telling the full story here, most likely your previous firmware update failed. In my 4 years of working with tesla firmware S/X and now 3 this specific message doesn't show up randomly. You can only see this messages in two cases:

1. Your previous firmware update failed and you get partial install , something got updated and some modules failed , in this case tesla can push firmware redeploy and see if it fixes the problem

2. When you install a new module/component on to the car and it has different firmware version

3. When you replace MCU (same as #2 basically)

sorry to burst your bubble.

full story. None of the above.

Something shady is going on.
The insurance agency totaled my old model 3. I have been spying on it. Today it showed up in Miami (I'm in Houston)
I can even remote connect to it and everything....

Turns out some auto dealer has it for sale:
2018 Tesla Model 3 / Autopilot Motors Trust | Auto dealership in Miami

But since mine was a white interior this has to be a different car, with my VIN (and computer) in it.
Either way, please don't buy this model 3 VIN: 5YJ3E1EA8JF155257

Or if somebody is in Miami and wants to play detective, check to see if they changed the VIN under the window as well.
GPS location 25.863376,-80.242796
Did you get a Salvage title from the DOT or DMV? If so using the VIN the car need to be re-certified by Tesla,
in particular to be able to use the Supercharger otherwise the future owner will have problem when charging.

Did you get a Salvage title from the DOT or DMV? If so using the VIN the car need to be re-certified by Tesla,
in particular to be able to use the Supercharger otherwise the future owner will have problem when charging.

There is no re-certification process, Tesla ended that more than a year ago. And Tesla says that Supercharging will be permanently disabled on salvage vehicles. (At least ones they know about.)

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I was only quoting what I heared from watching Rich Rebuilds channel.

Do you have any other source regarding restoring salvaged Tesla?

Here is a link to their current policy: [URL='https://www.tesla.com/about/legal#unsupported-salvaged-vehicle-policy']Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle Policy[/URL]

If you want them to work on your HV system you have to pay for, and pass, an HV inspection that last I heard costs about $500. (Attached is the document you have to sign for that inspection that has some more details.)

Attachments

• SC-14-00-007_Authorization_and_Release_for_Inspection_of_Salvage_Titled.pdf
    173.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Helpful
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Here is a link to their current policy: Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle Policy

If you want them to work on your HV system you have to pay for, and pass, an HV inspection that last I heard costs about $500.
(Attached is the document you have to sign for that inspection that has some more details.)
Thank you sharing for the information.

At this point I'm a little bit puzzle about the situation described by the OP.

- I was under the assumption that swapping VIN numbers between vehicles is technically illegal, especially using the VIN from a salvaged car.

- But it seems that you can build basically a brand new car with old parts and VIN from other salvaged cars. Is this technically illegal or is there some loop hole I am missing?

There are titles that specifically call out repaired salvage (does it roll inspection) or rebuilt from parts.

Apparently there are also ways to avoid that mark on a title.
I was looking recently to a damaged car and the display indicated Service Mode.

I was looking at the odometer and the mileage was very low, like below 1,000 miles.

I wonder if Service Mode allows to modify or to reset the car odometer mileage value?.

I was looking recently to a damaged car and the display indicated Service Mode.

I was looking at the odometer and the mileage was very low, like below 1,000 miles.

I wonder if Service Mode allows to modify or to reset the car odometer mileage value?.

It's possible to to set odometer Tesla , just set few variable `sdv GUI_odometer <mileage>; sdv VAPI_odometer <mileage>` if you have root, but if vehicle connected to Tesla they will reset it back if it's a big dependency.
There is another safeguard built in , there is hi resolution odometer in DI (Drive inverter) and gateway will eventually reset odometer reading in the UI to that value it gets from the drive unit. If a car has the same reading in a few days it should be fine

It's possible to to set odometer Tesla , just set few variable `sdv GUI_odometer <mileage>; sdv VAPI_odometer <mileage>` if you have root, but if vehicle connected to Tesla they will reset it back if it's a big dependency.
There is another safeguard built in , there is hi resolution odometer in DI (Drive inverter) and gateway will eventually reset odometer reading in the UI to that value it gets from the drive unit. If a car has the same reading in a few days it should be fine
So theoretically, if someone had root in a 3, could they hardwire something small like a Raspberry Pi to monitor `sdv GUI_odometer <mileage>; sdv VAPI_odometer <mileage>` and set it back to whatever they want when the gateway resets it periodically?

Asking for a friend... :p :p :p

I think there are is a misunderstandings about the distinctions between a 'clean' title, and an accident free vehicle. They are not the same thing. A 'totaled' vehicle also does not automatically get a corresponding 'salvage', 'rebuilt' or other title. Usually they do, but not always.

Bottom line: if you are purchasing a used vehicle, don't count on the seller to tell you everything about the car, especially if it will diminish the value of a potential sale. Always do a Carfax or ClearVIN and perform your due diligence. Because of Tesla's unique policy on unsupported or salvage vehicles (Privacy & Legal | Tesla), this due diligence is even more important.

The dealer in question offers a free carfax. While the commentators in this thread are welcome to contact the authorities etc., the posting for the car is just an advertisement.

View attachment 504823

upload_2020-1-27_10-16-30-png.504823

I love that you can get a 90 day warranty on a car that should come with a 8 year 125,000 mile warranty... there's the biggest clue in the ad.
  • Model 3 and Model Y Standard or Standard Range Plus - 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
  • Model 3 and Model Y Long Range or Performance - 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
These warranties cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla, which occur under normal use.

For further details, please review the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.