Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somebody upgrade MCU2 and lost free premium connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For cars manufactured before 6/2018 they all come with NVIDIA MCU and free premium connectivity. According to Tesla, this free premium connectivity is only available before retrofit or upgrade.
Is there anyone who has MCU 1 upgrade and still keep free premium connectivity?

For cars manufactured before 6/2018 they all come with NVIDIA MCU and free premium connectivity. According to Tesla, this free premium connectivity is only available before retrofit or upgrade.
Is there anyone who has MCU 1 upgrade and still keep free premium connectivity?
”According to Tesla”? Can you be more specific where you got this goofy advice?

Attachments

• A371AEC4-B54B-4E51-A367-D94010023EF3.jpeg
    A371AEC4-B54B-4E51-A367-D94010023EF3.jpeg
    636.1 KB · Views: 436
That underline is missing some context - if you read the full sentence, it specifically mentions retrofits or upgrades required to establish network connectivity to the car. This would be something akin to needing to upgrade the cellular radio (e.g. 3G to LTE) which you would still need to pay for even if you have premium connectivity.

Of course, Tesla can always change things like they did with FUSC but for now, it appears that free premium connectivity survives the MCU retrofit.

I have a 2014 that I did the MCU2 upgrade like 4 months or so ago and I still have free unlimited connectivity. It works fine and Tesla would be wise to not mess with free unlimited connectivity or unlimited supercharging for people that have it.

Although when they did the upgrade they turned off my heated wheel so I had to have them turn that back on OTA the next day.

Ok, so in other words original post that “according to Tesla” premium connectivity might be eliminated post-MCU2 upgrade was not according to anyone at Tesla. It was according to OP’s unusual interpretation of Tesla verbiage. I was briefly worried, but no longer. I know Tesla staff can be elusive but in the future it is a good idea to discuss concerns with Tesla staff.

Ok, so in other words original post that “according to Tesla” premium connectivity might be eliminated post-MCU2 upgrade was not according to anyone at Tesla. It was according to OP’s unusual interpretation of Tesla verbiage. I was briefly worried, but no longer. I know Tesla staff can be elusive but in the future it is a good idea to discuss concerns with Tesla staff.
Yes, this "concern" is purely miscomprehension.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I had the MCU1 recall done in Indianapolis. The Tesla service guy was explaining the pros and cons of the MCU2 upgrade. He told me I would lose premium connectivity and have to pay monthly if I did the upgrade. I opted to not to so I can’t confirm or deny if it does in fact strip your premium connectivity but I can confirm this information is coming from Tesla.

I went in 12-1-21 to get my MCU1 recall done. Tesla Indianapolis was explaining the pros and cons of upgrading to MCU2. The service guy told me I would lose premium connectivity if I upgraded.