Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone at Tesla Decided to Put Michelin Pilots on My New Model S P85 and.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, no P85 badging and crummier tires. I guess I've gotten to drive the thing for a couple of months so that's worth something but jeez!

Anyway, as soon as the Contis are toast I'm going to Pilot Super Sports. I've had PS2s on my Audis for years and I love 'em!

OP didn't specify which he got, but PS2 is crap compared to PSS. Better traction all around in even in lower temps. Assuming the Model S is traction limited from 0, 0-60 will improve. Plus 50% better treadlife. Just saying :)

Source please.

Michelins are 50% better tread life??

Tread rating on the Michelin is 300 and 340 on the Contis.

How did you conclude that the Michelins have 50% better tread life.

Lets keep the Info real.

Elon said on the last conference call they had to resort to shipping tires by air from the Czech Republic because of order fulfillment and billing problems with a tire manufacturer, at a cost of 10x versus by sea. I see that the Continentals are made in CZ...

The 50% better tread life could have been a PS2 to PSS comment and not Pilot to Conti. I'm just guessing here.

WRT the Pilots filling in a Conti delivery problem, I thought the charge for 21s moving forward was partly due to using more expensive Pilots. Again, just a guess on my part.

Source please.

Michelins are 50% better tread life??

Tread rating on the Michelin is 300 and 340 on the Contis.

How did you conclude that the Michelins have 50% better tread life.

Tire manufacturers can use any number they like as long as they don't go over the test result numbers. Some tire manufacturers state their numbers more conservatively than others. (Note: I'm not saying that 50% better tread life is correct, but I'm not saying that it isn't either.)

Tire manufacturers can use any number they like as long as they don't go over the test result numbers. Some tire manufacturers state their numbers more conservatively than others. (Note: I'm not saying that 50% better tread life is correct, but I'm not saying that it isn't either.)

We need to stop posting opinions and state them as fact.

Ludicrous that people come on here and claim that the new Michelin will last 50% longer than a Continental without providing any evidence or facts.

As a car enthusiast site we should hold ourselves to a higher standard as to not mislead the less knowledgable consumers.

Browse the automotive websites; nowhere will you even remotely find a claim that the Super Sports have a longer tread wear, never mind last 50% longer.

Just keeping it real.

Last edited:
Kaivball, what jerry33 stated is well-known and not just his opinion. Tire manufacturers all use different methods to determine tire life, so you can't compare one brand to another.

Manufacturers are allowed to report lower numbers than their test results indicate; they're just not allowed to advertise higher because that would be false advertising. Why would they want to advertise a lower number??? One reason is that people who track their cars know that lower rating tires are softer, and softer tires have more grip. So in some cases a lower number might actually look better, depending on who is reading the specs.

Kaivball, what jerry33 stated is well-known and not just his opinion. Tire manufacturers all use different methods to determine tire life, so you can't compare one brand to another.

Manufacturers are allowed to report lower numbers than their test results indicate; they're just not allowed to advertise higher because that would be false advertising. Why would they want to advertise a lower number??? One reason is that people who track their cars know that lower rating tires are softer, and softer tires have more grip. So in some cases a lower number might actually look better, depending on who is reading the specs.

My response was mainly in regard to AWDtsla's claim of higher tread life for the Michelins.

I agree that the ratings are more accurate among each other but the overall differences are not monumental.

I have yet to hear of an example where a 120 rated tire ever beat out a 400 rated tire.

So a claim that a lower rated tire has 50% higher tread life is dubious, especially when you cannot find even a remote reference on this on any frequented automotive website, from FerrariChat to Bimmerforums to "corvette lovers".

My response was mainly in regard to AWDtsla's claim of higher tread life for the Michelins.

I agree that the ratings are more accurate among each other but the overall differences are not monumental.

I have yet to hear of an example where a 120 rated tire ever beat out a 400 rated tire.

So a claim that a lower rated tire has 50% higher tread life is dubious, especially when you cannot find even a remote reference on this on any frequented automotive website, from FerrariChat to Bimmerforums to "corvette lovers".

PS2 20k mile warranty. My rear down to no treads in 15k, fronts replaced with 3/32 left at ~22k.
PSS 30k mile warranty. More traction. Some sort of new synthetic compound. You can tell how sticky it is just by running your fingers over it. Soft doesn't always win, sorry. PSS is Michelin's uprated replacement for the PS2.

Pilot Super Sport | Michelin Tires

- - - Updated - - -

We need to stop posting opinions and state them as fact.

Ludicrous that people come on here and claim that the new Michelin will last 50% longer than a Continental without providing any evidence or facts.

As a car enthusiast site we should hold ourselves to a higher standard as to not mislead the less knowledgable consumers.

Browse the automotive websites; nowhere will you even remotely find a claim that the Super Sports have a longer tread wear, never mind last 50% longer.

Just keeping it real.

Ok dawg, keep it real DAWG - by checking out manufacturer and dealer websites as well as dozens of real reviews across dozens of car forums before going on a wild rant and making false statements. Nevermind actually owning them.

PS2 20k mile warranty. My rear down to no treads in 15k, fronts replaced with 3/32 left at ~22k.
PSS 30k mile warranty. More traction. Some sort of new synthetic compound. You can tell how sticky it is just by running your fingers over it. Soft doesn't always win, sorry. PSS is Michelin's uprated replacement for the PS2.

Pilot Super Sport | Michelin Tires

- - - Updated - - -

Ok dawg, keep it real DAWG - by checking out manufacturer and dealer websites as well as dozens of real reviews across dozens of car forums before going on a wild rant and making false statements. Nevermind actually owning them.

Guys, my boo.

I misread AWDtsla's post.

Just now I realized that he compared the pilots sport with the pilot super sport and NOT the Conti with the Michelin.

:(

PS. I do have both tires right now as well.

My 21" tires say Pilot Sport on them. I don't see PS2 anywhere, nor do I see "Super Sport". If I had to guess I would say we have PS2's.

Looking at the pictures of each tire on tirerack, mine look like the picture of the PS2's.

MichelinPilot Sport PS2

TY. The pics are very different. Pretty clear you must have the PS2's vs the PSS. Interesting that the PS2's are more expensive. I thought they were an older version?