Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone bumped into my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was parked on street outside my work yesterday - (I think) behind a co-worker's SUV - and noticed a dent in my bumper as I left work. I am a little disappointed that my co-worker did not leave a note or come inside to tell me, but it is possible that she did not notice the impact as she was trying to get her car out. It seems like her tow hitch hit the bumper that left that small square dent. No loss of functionality that I can tell.

Anyways, it is really bugging me and I want to get it repaired. Any suggestions on a body shop that will do a good job in the (east) Bay Area? Also wondering if anyone has suggestions on how do I approach my co-worker and ask her if it was her who did this to save my 500$ deductible cost?

IMG_7598.JPG IMG_7599.JPG

I installed front and back dash cams on my car for under 300 bucks. Imagine if it was worse. She could easily deny it and you have no proof. EDIT: The lineup of dent to her car could be worth something. But still I'd highly recommend getting dash cams. Will not own another car without them.
I will line up the dent with her tow hitch. I doubt that her suv had any damage since it most likely just hit the hitch.

@sumitkgarg have you tried contacting one of the paintless dent removers? If you sent them a photo they might be able to tell you if they could help. I made a note a while back in case we ever needed this kind of service about a mobile service that I saw two TMC MS owners (one from Sunnyvale and one from San Mateo) that recommended this company: $69 Dent Discount Mobile & Body Shop - Paintless Dent Removal / Bumper Repair

Let us know how you make out either way. Curious what the cost will be to fix. If the dent removal people can do it, wouldn't be worth going through insurance due to the deductible.

If the co-worker backed into your car, she probably knew she touched something solid backing up and should have gotten out and looked. Either she didn't want to admit doing it or didn't care (sad to say I think there are a number of drivers like this) in which case not sure where asking her will get you. Without dashcam footage or security camera footage, it would be hard to lay the liability at her foot. I probably would let it go and just avoid parking in parallel spots at work if you can avoid it. Those trailer hooks though do a number on cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ishareit
Will ask her if it was her who was parked at that spot and go from there. Will line up the damage with her tow hitch to be sure.

If you're certain she did it and want to muscle her, you can tell her the autopilot cameras in your car recorder her doing it. You can't back that up with anything, but it might help her do the right thing if she is 100% guilty and trying to avoid responsibility.

I was parked on street outside my work yesterday - (I think) behind a co-worker's SUV - and noticed a dent in my bumper as I left work. I am a little disappointed that my co-worker did not leave a note or come inside to tell me, but it is possible that she did not notice the impact as she was trying to get her car out. It seems like her tow hitch hit the bumper that left that small square dent. No loss of functionality that I can tell.

Anyways, it is really bugging me and I want to get it repaired. Any suggestions on a body shop that will do a good job in the (east) Bay Area? Also wondering if anyone has suggestions on how do I approach my co-worker and ask her if it was her who did this to save my 500$ deductible cost?

View attachment 271454 View attachment 271455
You should ask your co-worker. Even if she denies it she will be more aware in the future.

"Hi Name, I wanted to ask if you recall slightly bumping into my car. I am in the process of filing a claim with my insurance and I need to file a police report to file a claim. They will likely ask for video from Tesla before my insurance pays. However, before I file a police report, I'm asking around b/c I'd prefer not to get police involved and resolve this amicably."

Not making any statement that is not true.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I politely asked her if she parked in front of a white Tesla on the street and mentioned that there is a damage on the front bumper from some vehicle with a tow hitch hitting it. She was cool about it and accepted the liability. However in her defense for not leaving a note, she said that her SUV is like a tank and she doesn't remember an impact. I am good as far as liability claim is concerned and as far the body shop choice, I am thinking about going with one of the following Tesla approved body shops in the area:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/service-king-collision-repair-of-fremont-fremont
Pan American Collision Center - Fremont, CA
Brooks Motor Cars - Fremont, CA

@sumitkgarg have you tried contacting one of the paintless dent removers? If you sent them a photo they might be able to tell you if they could help. I made a note a while back in case we ever needed this kind of service about a mobile service that I saw two TMC MS owners (one from Sunnyvale and one from San Mateo) that recommended this company: $69 Dent Discount Mobile & Body Shop - Paintless Dent Removal / Bumper Repair

Let us know how you make out either way. Curious what the cost will be to fix. If the dent removal people can do it, wouldn't be worth going through insurance due to the deductible.

If the co-worker backed into your car, she probably knew she touched something solid backing up and should have gotten out and looked. Either she didn't want to admit doing it or didn't care (sad to say I think there are a number of drivers like this) in which case not sure where asking her will get you. Without dashcam footage or security camera footage, it would be hard to lay the liability at her foot. I probably would let it go and just avoid parking in parallel spots at work if you can avoid it. Those trailer hooks though do a number on cars.
The bumper lost some paint as well and I am sure that a mobile repair isn't going to fix it completely. Thanks for this information though.

View attachment 271454 View attachment 271455
ah - really sorry to hear this. Agree with other recommendations to install dashcam - and hardwire so they can record even when parked. I am in bay area and can help you with a model and likely how to get this done - I did it myself with help from a fellow member's email instructions. Has already proven valuable two times!!

For now, I recommend Chilton autobody - they are Tesla approved. Only thing is, they do get backed up a bit, insist that you want the car back in a day or two. Mine was kept for 9 days to repair some glass breakages (theft!) even after they got all the parts before hand.

Make sure when you visit your insurance company, that they don't put this cost of repair against your name (at fault or not). You need to give them a proof that you didn't do this damage. Useful to verify particularly if you want to switch insurance careers later. Even if your premiums with current insurance may not change, if this claim becomes an at-fault claim, then future insurance company will post a higher premium!

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett