Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone debadged my car [resolved - not stolen after all]

RayK

Apr 5, 2016
San Jose, CA
Superb post. 10 out of 10. 👏🏼
Alas, as it turns out, I am not the first one to post anagrams of DUAL MOTOR. I knew somebody would have thought of this before me. I did a search and came up with these:

Reactions: Kevy Baby

jebinc

MSM Model S PLAID, cream/FSD; MYP, white on white
Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Went shopping and when I came back I noticed a white Model 3 just like mine parked right next to me. I got confused when I looked at what I thought was my car but was missing the Dual Motor Performance badge. I had to look at the rims to make sure it was my car. Then I realized some jerk debadged my car. I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence and if it's some kind of trend like when people used to steal VW badges way back when. Does anyone know where I can get a Dual Motor performance badge? I don't like all of the empty space in that spot and I prefer to have my car badged.
@Doggiedog Only in NJ…. “New Jersey and you, Perfect together” - RIGHT…I got the hell out of there in 1989, after 26 years of that kind of $hit. Never looked back. My friend still lives in Leonia and deals with that BS on a daily basis. Get out while you still can!

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

Doggiedog

Jul 1, 2020
Edgewater, NJ
@Doggiedog Only in NJ…. “New Jersey and you, Perfect together” - RIGHT…I got the hell out of there in 1989, after 26 years of that kind of $hit. Never looked back. My friend still lives in Leonia and deals with that BS on a daily basis. Get out while you still can!
I live in NJ but I actually grew up in Manhattan. People have their opinions of NYC but I think it's the best place in the world. All of my favorite people live in or around the city.

Doggiedog

Jul 1, 2020
Edgewater, NJ
then set your garage as a favourite place and then it wont switch on there. forgetting to turn sentry mode on is a poor excuse -it is always frustrating (for the OT) that things happen and sentry mode just so happens to be off. Yes it costs money, yes it is absolutely worth it.
That's a good tip. I usually turn it on manually but of course it was Murphy's law that when I didn't have it on, something happened.

M109Rider

Apr 8, 2018
Kitchener, Ontario
Yeah, now that I think about it, I'm not so sure if someone took it off and it didn't just fall off. My spoiler is starting to peel away from the trunk lid and I can see the glue coming apart in streaks. Maybe they used cheap glue for the badge.

Is this a known problem? That's a worry.
It very certainly didn’t fall off, and it’s not a known problem.

I can see this turning into another thread blaming Tesla for using inferior stickers, and not backing up their warranties for an obvious common design flaw. Completely unacceptible for a car I paid $60,000 for. ..

Doggiedog

Jul 1, 2020
Edgewater, NJ
Actually, after reading some of the posts here I think I figured it out. I had to get my trunk repaired a few months ago. They must have forgotten to put the badge back on after repainting it or replacing the trunk.

Attachments

• 20210516_101042.jpg
    20210516_101042.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 55

john5520

Mar 3, 2020
Florida
Actually, after reading some of the posts here I think I figured it out. I had to get my trunk repaired a few months ago. They must have forgotten to put the badge back on after repainting it or replacing the trunk.
That's a long time to not notice it was gone. Anyway, for it to fall off isn't common from what I can tell. They're easy to get though.

Kandiru

Oct 20, 2014
USA
Used emblems are not very helpful because it's a lot of work to replace the adhesive. Better to buy new ones.
What if he was like me and my roommate in college? We had an entire wall in traffic signs, opposite to the
one featuring our favorite Playmates. Imagine a wall covered in car badges, OK gotta find the crème brûlée torch
and some thread ASAP:)

john5520

Mar 3, 2020
Florida
I dunno: I know I don't walk around my car every day to inspect it. If its not on the left side of my car, it may take a while for me to notice.
We're talking about months, lol. Anyway, I'm not here to beat up on the OP. It's good to know it's unlikely to be vandalism, or it just falling off. And they're not expensive.

Doggiedog

Jul 1, 2020
Edgewater, NJ
That's a long time to not notice it was gone. Anyway, for it to fall off isn't common from what I can tell. They're easy to get though.
I usually don't view my car from the back. I reverse the car into my garage space since there is a wall to the left and someone else is to my right. Also haven't driven it much. Maybe a few hundred miles since May. I only have 2700 miles total on the car since I got it in Dec. I guess I didn't miss it much since I didn't notice it until another white Model 3 parked next to it. I bought a cheap badge from eBay. If I don't like it I guess I can complain to the SC when I get my spoiler fixed.

Reactions: Andy7

Andy7

Dec 16, 2019
NJ
I usually don't view my car from the back. I reverse the car into my garage space since there is a wall to the left and someone else is to my right. Also haven't driven it much. Maybe a few hundred miles since May. I only have 2700 miles total on the car since I got it in Dec. I guess I didn't miss it much since I didn't notice it until another white Model 3 parked next to it. I bought a cheap badge from eBay. If I don't like it I guess I can complain to the SC when I get my spoiler fixed.
Tesla repaired the trunk and forgot to put the letters back on? Pretty careless of them (or whoever did the repair-but especially if it was Tesla). When you bring it in they'll tell you they just happen to have a slightly used set they can sell you! I'm glad you found the probable answer.

mbp11

Jan 30, 2019
SF Bay Area
Reminds me of an older American joke. Police dispatcher gets a frantic phone call about a break-in to an elderly woman's car: "Did anything get stolen, ma'am?"
"They took the steering wheel, radio, and even the dashboard, they took EVERYTHING!"
Dispatcher says "stay with your car, Ma'am, we'll send someone right out!"
A few minutes later the police call the dispatcher back: "Disregard the auto break-in report. The lady got into the back seat by mistake!"

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC