TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Someone else driving your X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jnt76, Jun 7, 2016.

1. jnt76

jnt76 Member

I will be picking up by X next Thursday and my anxiety level is about to give me a heart attack. The anxiety is not with the X but with my nanny driving my X with my kids in the back most of the time. I came up with a small list that may sound a bit borderline obsessive but I'm just protecting my very expensive investment. After reading most of the comments on TMC, I came up with this list. Can those with kids or anyone that has to encounter similar issues help me add to the list or at least help me realize that I need psychiatric help.

· Do not close the front door and the falcon doors on the same side as the same time. They may hit each other

· Do not open the falcon door until you are out of the car, the kids may just run out into the traffic and get run over

· Do not forcefully close the falcon door, use the fob to close the door

· No shoes for the kids when in the car, the back of the seats are plastic and shiny, it will get scratches from their shoes. Make sure toenails are trimmed so it doesn't scratch the car as well.

· Rear window is small be careful when backing out

· When the car is in a garage or an overhang, please note the ceiling height before opening the falcon doors. When in doubt the kids can exit thru the front doors. The doors can’t detect ceiling height and will be damaged

· Avoid bushes when driving as to not scratch the side of the car

· People will stop and ask questions, no demos and don’t let them into the car

· Don’t let the kids play with the falcon doors

· Go pedal are regenerative, they will break and slow down when you ease off the pedal. DO NOT mistake them for brake pedal, this will cause you to accelerate and lunge forward instead

· Do not engage in AUTOPILOT

· To reach the third row seats, you will need to take out the car seats in the second row seats so it can advance forward in order to reach the back

· No gum chewing

· No crayons, pencils, markers, pens or Play-Doh

· Avoid greasy messy food like fries or potato chips

· Clear fluid only in the car (water, apple juice in a sealed sippy cup)

• Funny x 2
  2. swesson

swesson Member

Exhale....
    My kids are all grown now, but I once had a very nice Mercedes when the kids were little and I freaked out everytime they got into the car, I wouldn't allow any food or drink and had a similar set of rules. My son was small and prone to all kinds of foibles. I later decided that I didn't want a car to dictate how I lived my life. I sold it and bought a jeep. The first day, my son spilled a drink after we'd picked up fast food. He was terrified because of my last car, so I looked at him, picked up my drink, and poured it on the floor. We both laughed.

It's just a car.

• Like x 9
    • Love x 3
  3. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

In addition to what @swesson said, I would just put the car in Valet mode (at least at first) and not worry about this one. Maybe once your nanny gets used to the car you can leave it off. In the end though, it's just a car and don't worry what happens to it, it can be replaced.

4. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

I think some are valid concerns, others not as much. My comments are below in red.

5. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Jnt76, try meditation! 10 minutes a day might really help ;)

It would be good to take whoever needs to use your Model X on a short drive, then have them drive it, showing them all of the functionality of the vehicle. This way they can be more comfortable with it.

Also, early congrats on your Model X!

6. mzpolo

mzpolo Member

If its more, the nanny shouldn't be driving it.

7. Benjamins

Benjamins Member

@jnt76 , I feel your anxiety too.

When I brought mine in for window tints, the guy had to pull it into his small garage himself, at an awkard angle nonetheless. I watched him very tensely, but he pulled it in fine (he probably did better than I would've.)

I still won't let valets touch it. I'd rather park myself, far away from other parked cars...

8. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Perhaps, let your nanny use their own car, or a different car.

Considering you can afford a Model X, and a Nanny --- sure sounds like you also have other vehicles. Way too many rules...

9. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

Don't take this the wrong way.....

New Model X on order, nanny, Westchester...buying another vehicle for the nanny to use to haul the kids doesn't sound like it would be a financial stretch in your situation. You have a long list of "Don'ts". Base model Ford Explorer (7 seats) comes to mind, or a Highlander Hybrid.

Personally, no one drives my cars.....

10. jnt76

jnt76 Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been on the fence about the X for a long time but decided to jump in head first without considering the consequences (I'm sure there's a lot of those here on TMC). In hindsight, I should have waited for the kids to be more mature to handle themselves in a luxury car but heck YOLO. Taking all the advice into consideration, I'll drive the car myself for one week and then have the kids and nanny tag along to get accustomed to the car. Maybe I'll drive by the Clintons in Chappaqua!

11. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Member

I got my X just last week and we are still in the "Water Only" hegemony. I'm sure I'll back off the rule at some point, but I've got to hold on to the pristine as long as possible...

• Like x 1
  12. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

You forgot one:

-No GLITTER allowed, at any time. Ever.

• Funny x 2
  13. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Model X is just a car. His nanny will be driving his precious cargo around (his kids). Wouldn't you want your kids riding in the safest SUV that has been made? I would never buy a second less safe vehicle for my kids to ride in just to prevent Model X from getting scratched up.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  14. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Good point; however, they are kids... the X will get scratched up. Just gotta live with it - or put them in another car.

15. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

Chill. Did you get the Ultra White seats? They are great and get lots of compliments. I've had my Sig X with Ultra White seats to several events and had 100's of people sit in them. My one rule was no food or drink. What few dirt marks cleaned right off. It's an amazing car. Most of what you listed is common sense. If the nanny is used to you doing this kind of thing then no big deal. But the X will survive no matter what as long as she is trustworthy. You trust her with your kids, trust her with your X. Good luck.