TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Someone had a bad day after Nida downgraded to T3 (Who's at fault?)

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by FequalsMA, Aug 3, 2016.

?

Who's at fault?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2016.
  1. Tesla

100.0%
  2. Two other cars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

Saw this on the way to work yesterday afternoon just outside IFC Apple Store.
    85D was in a collision with two other vehicles. Only the Tesla seems to have airbags deployed

Didn't witness the crash but I've tried to speculate what happened.
    Southbound on Man Yiu St, the 85D appears to have been hit by two vehicles eastbound on Lung Wo Rd.
    But there aren't any apparent abnormal tire marks on the road to can't really tell who's at fault/ ran a red light.

2. Captain_Kong

Captain_Kong Member

Judging by the photos, it appeared that Tesla is travelling directly ahead, while the other 2 vehicles are making a right turn. Unless the 2 vehicles can demonstrate that the traffic lights at the time are signaling they've the right of the way (for making a right turn), otherwise Tesla has the right of the way for travelling in a straight line.

I don't have the full background, but in the absence of that I tend to view that Tesla isn't at fault based on the photos only.

PS. I do drive on this road quite often and this stretch of road is picked as part of HK's Formula E circuit for a reason - perfect for a burst of speed...

3. ediot

ediot Member

it is very hard to go just by the aftermath pictures, but:

1) the tesla may not have been travelling directly straight ahead. look at it's position, it's not in its "lane" (more clearly shown on the final pic) but has rather "strafed" to the right.
    2) we can't see the windshield of the tesla but i suspect there's shattering? the region around 10 o'clock position of where the tesla is, there's what appears to be shards of glass. the glass on the seven seater and the taxi look intact.
    3) the front left corner of the taxi's also crimped in, which kinda suggest that it had a head on collision rather than collision jsut at it's right front corner

the three points above suggest that the tesla and taxi probably didn't come to a deadstop immediately at point of impact, but rather that their positions shifted due to it. admittedly, there are no obvious tire marks to support this view point.

judging from the taxi's position post-accident, it could have been making a right turn from the middle lane - but this would suggest that:
    a) the tesla shifted position after impact whilst the taxi didn't. kinda hard to fathom since the tesla is almost 5000lb, whilst the taxi has a curb weight of 3000lbs.
    b) the taxi had a green light to make a right turn but didn't give the tesla in the opposing lane its priority to go straight - which isn't the case at this crossroad, since i drive here almost everyday and am sure that you only go when the light goes green, no extra traffic checking required.

so, based on the above analysis i can safely conclude that i have absolutely, positively zero idea what happened here :p

4. Captain_Kong

Captain_Kong Member

ediot: very good points on the physics of the vehicles involved. And I suspect IFC bldg. mgt. should have surveillance cam footage of the intersection, I think.

5. garethmchau

garethmchau Member

I reckon the tesla was rushing a red light to turn right.

• Like x 2
  6. Hobbies

Hobbies Member

Here's exactly what happened!:

• Informative x 1
  7. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

And the prize goes to...

8. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I swear without fail every day I go onto this site there is a new photo/video of a Tesla driver that cannot drive.

Of course every accident involving a Tesla is posted.

9. Captain_Kong

Captain_Kong Member

10. ediot

ediot Member

are you going to fess up now? it was you in that crash wasn't it :p

11. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

So glad i got to see how this unfolded.

Not sure if its glare or not but I keep seeing the front airbags on the Model S deploy just before collision?
    Right around the 0:10s mark.

12. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I think it is a reflection on the glass. Watch the rear window at the end of the crash sequence, similar looking "airbag". Maybe the Apple logo?

13. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

It does indeed appear to deploy before impact.

14. garethmchau

garethmchau Member

Not me - was quite obvious that 2 cars were going in one direction and one car the opposite. More likely that one person was disobeying traffic rules rather than 2 unrelated cars (taxi and uber/private driver) would be disobeying together.

• Like x 1