Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone had a bad day after Nida downgraded to T3 (Who's at fault?)

Who's at fault?

• Two other cars

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this on the way to work yesterday afternoon just outside IFC Apple Store.
85D was in a collision with two other vehicles. Only the Tesla seems to have airbags deployed

Didn't witness the crash but I've tried to speculate what happened.
Southbound on Man Yiu St, the 85D appears to have been hit by two vehicles eastbound on Lung Wo Rd.
But there aren't any apparent abnormal tire marks on the road to can't really tell who's at fault/ ran a red light.

View media item 115642View media item 115641View media item 115640

Judging by the photos, it appeared that Tesla is travelling directly ahead, while the other 2 vehicles are making a right turn. Unless the 2 vehicles can demonstrate that the traffic lights at the time are signaling they've the right of the way (for making a right turn), otherwise Tesla has the right of the way for travelling in a straight line.

I don't have the full background, but in the absence of that I tend to view that Tesla isn't at fault based on the photos only.

PS. I do drive on this road quite often and this stretch of road is picked as part of HK's Formula E circuit for a reason - perfect for a burst of speed...

it is very hard to go just by the aftermath pictures, but:

1) the tesla may not have been travelling directly straight ahead. look at it's position, it's not in its "lane" (more clearly shown on the final pic) but has rather "strafed" to the right.
2) we can't see the windshield of the tesla but i suspect there's shattering? the region around 10 o'clock position of where the tesla is, there's what appears to be shards of glass. the glass on the seven seater and the taxi look intact.
3) the front left corner of the taxi's also crimped in, which kinda suggest that it had a head on collision rather than collision jsut at it's right front corner

the three points above suggest that the tesla and taxi probably didn't come to a deadstop immediately at point of impact, but rather that their positions shifted due to it. admittedly, there are no obvious tire marks to support this view point.

judging from the taxi's position post-accident, it could have been making a right turn from the middle lane - but this would suggest that:
a) the tesla shifted position after impact whilst the taxi didn't. kinda hard to fathom since the tesla is almost 5000lb, whilst the taxi has a curb weight of 3000lbs.
b) the taxi had a green light to make a right turn but didn't give the tesla in the opposing lane its priority to go straight - which isn't the case at this crossroad, since i drive here almost everyday and am sure that you only go when the light goes green, no extra traffic checking required.

so, based on the above analysis i can safely conclude that i have absolutely, positively zero idea what happened here :p