Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone had to do it... (Autopilot stunt)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't like all this judging going on.
wk did something that is possible with a stock car. He didn't modify it in any way and took all safety precautions necessary.
He cannot and should not be took responsible for all the morons out there who will not be so clever and cause trouble.

It is good to know the limits. And this is part of finding the them.

they certainly don't intend for the driver's seat to be un-occupied while the car is moving.

Yes, you said do not try this at home, etc. It won't stop them though. Does it relieve you of all responsibility? I guess that's a judgement call. I would say no.

What the heck is everybody complaining about?? Tesla has publicly said many times they will be releasing the ability for you to summon your car on private property. And they have released videos of the car driving itself already.

Everybody needs to chill. Keep these vids coming WK. I say take it a step further and post a vid of you surfing on your driverless car.

What the heck is everybody complaining about?? Tesla has publicly said many times they will be releasing the ability for you to summon your car on private property. And they have released videos of the car driving itself already.

Everybody needs to chill. Keep these vids coming WK. I say take it a step further and post a vid of you surfing on your driverless car.

+1. We don't need another wk bashing thread to make him rethink his rethought decision to leave TMC.

Word of the day: fe·lo·ni·ous

• It would take Law enforcement about five minutes to figure out who did this video with the electronic DNA embedded in the meta tags. (geo location, hardware MAC, Storage signature etc)

Words of the day: Private Property.

Law enforcement has no jurisdiction to impose traffic laws on private property.
Yes, you said do not try this at home, etc. It won't stop them though. Does it relieve you of all responsibility? I guess that's a judgement call. I would say no.

I saw a movie where someone shot someone. I guess if I do the same then they would be responsible. :rolleyes: Come on people... Not to mention that what was shown in the video could be done in any vehicle since it was a straight section of road.

Explicit language disclaimer, in case someone tries to blame me for causing them to swear :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely tried to think out the safest way to do it, and this was certainly the best way aside from something like a runway or otherwise more open area. Considering my passenger could have easily engaged the parking brake and/or taken the steering wheel at any time... I personally don't think there was much, if any, danger to me, my passenger, or the car... aside from maybe a hint of whiplash if the brake were engaged at that speedy 18 MPH.

Ya I'd have to agree, and with the regenerative braking, the passenger could've just grabbed the wheel and un-buckled the seatbelt and the car would come close to a stop negating the "hint of whiplash" danger as well.

Funny seeing how uptight people are being about this. Morons are gonna do what morons are gonna do, this vid isn't going motivate a moron to do something stupid...If anything, all the disclaimers may make them realize it's more dangerous than they think.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather a smart person like wk do this and Tesla fix the problem fast than some stupid person do it on the main roads.

I really don't see this as a problem. Tesla doesn't need to change a thing. There's no need to tie in the seat sensor, anyone willing to circumvent the seat belt would just circumvent the seat sensor and I don't want the AP to be disable because I fidget too much in the seat.

People determined to do stupid stuff will do it. It's not the mfg's fault if they do. I wonder if you've heard of ghost riding the whip?

I really don't see this as a problem. Tesla doesn't need to change a thing. There's no need to tie in the seat sensor, anyone willing to circumvent the seat belt would just circumvent the seat sensor and I don't want the AP to be disable because I fidget too much in the seat.

There is indeel no need to turn off AP because you fidget in your seat, yet 5 seconds without butt in seat contact should result in a reaction by the car. This time period is arbitrairy, but I am sure people smarter than myself will figure it out.

Some of you guys are a trip. ;)

After I sent the video to a friend earlier, he responded with this:

Ghost Ride The Truck - YouTube

Anyway, I don't think more of this will be going on in my car any time soon. But, was a fun trick for sure. :p

Idiots that do this on public roads vs. controlled conditions deserve to crash without injuring bystanders. He got exactly what he deserved. If someone wants to pull such a stunt, use a private/closed track to avoid injuring anyone else (like wk did).

There is indeel no need to turn off AP because you fidget in your seat, yet 5 seconds without butt in seat contact should result in a reaction by the car. This time period is arbitrairy, but I am sure people smarter than myself will figure it out.

As long as it's not as quick as the time that results in the car shifting to "Park" at low speeds, then fine by me.

I still say it's not something Tesla NEEDS to do. Ultimately, anyone who goes through the trouble of circumventing the seat belt rule will likely just circumvent the seat rule too. So while I'm not against incorporating the seat sensor (as long as there's little chance of false positives), I don't think it's necessary for them to do it.

I would post pictures of a similar stunt, that occurred on private property, but posting a picture of my friends skull with the innards on the outside and a complete scalping resulting in over 180 stitches, a concussion, a MEDSTAR flight, a loss of vision etc...combined with a felony conviction for the driver and multiple court visits maybe upsetting to some folks.

Enjoy your videos, this is too similar to an event I witnessed first hand on private property last October that almost killed my best friend at an Octoberfest party. He didn't press charges the police did on their own. He could have bleed to death or been permanently disabled due the severity of his head injuries. Private property provides little protection from the liability that insurance companies want to off load onto you.

I hope some kids don't do a "Jackass" style movie copying your stunt.

I would post pictures of a similar stunt, that occurred on private property, but posting a picture of my friends skull with the innards on the outside and a complete scalping resulting in over 180 stitches, a concussion, a MEDSTAR flight, a loss of vision etc...combined with a felony conviction for the driver and multiple court visits maybe upsetting to some folks.

Enjoy your videos, this is too similar to an event I witnessed first hand on private property last October that almost killed my best friend at an Octoberfest party. He didn't press charges the police did on their own. He could have bleed to death or been permanently disabled due the severity of his head injuries. Private property provides little protection from the liability that insurance companies want to off load onto you.

I hope some kids don't do a "Jackass" style movie copying your stunt.

"Octoberfest party" sounds like drinking was involved. Even if not, it definitely doesn't sound like the stunt you're comparing the one in my video to was anywhere near as controlled or safely executed, especially given the apparent consequences. I find that comparison quite offensive.