Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone lit my car cover on fire and my Tesla Model 3 burnt to the ground.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, maybe room for a future improvement of uploading to the cloud or a server or something, almost like a Ring camera

One of these days Elon will take my suggestion of having Sentry email a couple of still photos of motion activity, just like many of the cheapo web security cams have been doing for a number of years already. It doesn't take a lot of bandwidth to send a couple of stills (especially at the resolution of Sentry), but it would give us very useful alerts to first know about the motion, and second, know if we need to be concerned.

It would also save a lot of the time digging through the playback to find interesting events.

I am incredibly sad and in disbelief right now..I was leaving for a huge, long planned road trip. There were 3-4 other fires lit in the area, the fire was on the frunk, battery intact. It had been parked and not in use/off for hours.

What can I expect from Tesla insurance?

2019 SR+ 16,000 miles

I just paid for registration renewal, but the tags haven't expired yet? Would I be able to recoup that? (California)

Am I going to get less than I would in the open market?

Been dealing with this for the last 2 hours and its just hitting me...I had the best version of the car before all the bs...pre pedestrian speaker, pre vision only...FML

/defeated.
Sorry man, I just saw that on the news here, they also set other cars on fire and trash bins. The news say Arson.

Send me PM, I can take you to Carlsbad to pick up the new one when it’s ready.

My buddy just ordered a M3 SR+, I think his delivery date is in the middle of September.

I have the same ride, 2019 March Build SR+

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
Just wanted to give everyone a quick update. After a very unnecessarily long insurance adjustment process (it was ruled a total loss on day 1 but took 35 days to complete the process, mainly due to negligance), I finally got everything settled and my payout came this morning via UPS overnight. I will say Tesla insurance is great, just the 3rd party they farmed out to for the adjustment and evaluation was terrible, absolutely terrible. A Tesla Insurance liaison (someone that oversees the interaction between the client and the 3rd party) stepped in after I filed a complaint and helped me get everything that I was owed. It was definitely a battle but I got what was right in the end.

The investigation is still ongoing but there is an update with video of someone starting the fires elsewhere in the neighborhood prior to mine, so they think he is the guy.

@mlkmade - now give us the REAL update... did you order your new car yet?
Im very close..I just am reevaluating a few things. Looking at the Y. But also wanting to move and do a few other things...So I'm just deciding if I want a car payment. Loved my M3, probably one of the best things I ever purchased but I'm looking at this at a doever/clean slate and figuring out what's important to me. I drove less than 650 miles a month on average and looking back that made me think a little more deeply on if I really need this amazing car.

Last edited:
Reactions: dduffey
I am puzzle how the full car get in fire?

What material was the car cover made of?
I would assume that the car cover would had burned by itself, making some damage to the paint, and may be made some cracks to the windows.
But on the Fox 5 video, we can see at 0:42 that on the back of the car, that the cover was ripped but not burning.

I imagine that a kind of combustible, like a type of Molotov cocktail would have been placed inside the car after breaking a windows?

Reactions: hcdavis3
Im very close..I just am reevaluating a few things. Looking at the Y. But also wanting to move and do a few other things...So I'm just deciding if I want a car payment. Loved my M3, probably one of the best things I ever purchased but I'm looking at this at a doever/clean slate and figuring out what's important to me. I drove less than 650 miles a month on average and looking back that made me think a little more deeply on if I really need this amazing car.

That's a hell of a thing they did to your car. Terrible.

You mentioned earlier that you felt you had the perfect car and were now needing to do something different- just want to observe that you can maybe save some money and get the same car you had, used. Used car market has been totally bonkers, but seems to be righting itself a bit.

Thinking what you actually need/want is definitely worth the time. I went back and forth on LR vs. SR, because I really, really wanted the premium stereo, but it was just too much money.

Reactions: mlkmade
I am incredibly sad and in disbelief right now..I was leaving for a huge, long planned road trip. There were 3-4 other fires lit in the area, the fire was on the frunk, battery intact. It had been parked and not in use/off for hours.

What can I expect from Tesla insurance?

2019 SR+ 16,000 miles

I just paid for registration renewal, but the tags haven't expired yet? Would I be able to recoup that? (California)

Am I going to get less than I would in the open market?

Been dealing with this for the last 2 hours and its just hitting me...I had the best version of the car before all the bs...pre pedestrian speaker, pre vision only...FML

/defeated.

treat yourself to a performance model. its the only way hehe.

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update. After a very unnecessarily long insurance adjustment process (it was ruled a total loss on day 1 but took 35 days to complete the process, mainly due to negligance), I finally got everything settled and my payout came this morning via UPS overnight. I will say Tesla insurance is great, just the 3rd party they farmed out to for the adjustment and evaluation was terrible, absolutely terrible. A Tesla Insurance liaison (someone that oversees the interaction between the client and the 3rd party) stepped in after I filed a complaint and helped me get everything that I was owed. It was definitely a battle but I got what was right in the end.

The investigation is still ongoing but there is an update with video of someone starting the fires elsewhere in the neighborhood prior to mine, so they think he is the guy.

Hopefully they catch the a-hole that did this. If someone were sleeping in their car that got lit on fire, that would be attempted murder. Hopefully the culprit spends a long time in prison.

Reactions: mlkmade
Did you use a specific Tesla designed car cover with an opening in the front bumper area to let the air cooling the battery?

Before getting a new car, can you find a way to park off the street or even getting a garage? Or at least be able to instal a security camera?

I hope this was not targetted to Tesla exclusively, the TV broadcast didn't mention the type and model of the other cars affected?

So far I only experienced getting 'Rolling Coal' or 'Burning Tires' smoke at a traffic light, which is nothing compared to getting a car in fire.

Last edited:
One of these days Elon will take my suggestion of having Sentry email a couple of still photos of motion activity, just like many of the cheapo web security cams have been doing for a number of years already. It doesn't take a lot of bandwidth to send a couple of stills (especially at the resolution of Sentry), but it would give us very useful alerts to first know about the motion, and second, know if we need to be concerned.

It would also save a lot of the time digging through the playback to find interesting events.

Would that really be useful? I frequently park my Tesla along streets with lots of pedestrian activity, there are usually about 20-30 sentry events when I get back. I can’t imagine that getting still images by email every time someone walked past would be useful.

Would that really be useful? I frequently park my Tesla along streets with lots of pedestrian activity, there are usually about 20-30 sentry events when I get back. I can’t imagine that getting still images by email every time someone walked past would be useful.

Hey, it's software, right? Make an option you click to turn off the pics when you're going to be in a high traffic area. You just need to think a little.

You could even have an option to ignore motion from certain cameras while you're parked. Say you are parked forward toward a busy sideway, just tell it to ignore the front camera. Tesla could even program the software to activate the picture feature for every Tesla owner, except anyone with the forum handle, "apacheguy."

So yeah, it would be incredibly useful for the rest of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I am puzzle how the full car get in fire?

What material was the car cover made of?
I would assume that the car cover would had burned by itself, making some damage to the paint, and may be made some cracks to the windows.
But on the Fox 5 video, we can see at 0:42 that on the back of the car, that the cover was ripped but not burning.

I imagine that a kind of combustible, like a type of Molotov cocktail would have been placed inside the car after breaking a windows?

I've seen you respond in other threads and I don't know if it's a language thing but you seem to always be trying to make things bigger than what they really are. And your line of questioning is always one of doubt and suspicion and it seems like you're trying to lead people down to say something unsavory or have a' gotcha' moment where you can tell someone what they should have done, or what they did wrong.

It doesn't matter what my car cover was made of. It doesn't matter if it was an official tesla car cover (it was) with holes for breathing intake for the battery or not. The car was parked for 6 hours, off, asleep. No energy or power was being generated, the car cover style is irrelevant.

No molotov cocktail was used, no it was not malacious are targeted at Tesla's. If you watched the video or read the article, it was a series of random arson fires. Trash cans, fences, the library and a few other cars.

Just stop.

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r