Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone locally in the Bay Area selling their M3 reservation... does it matter anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been back and fourth for weeks ever since I test a drive a LR RWD locally in the Bay Area to buy new or used. I was set on going used, but I came across someone local that doesn’t need their extra M3 reservation and is asking $500 for their spot. They initially put down $1000 for two M3s a couple years ago and decided to let it one go and buy a Model X instead.

Questions...

- If I go to Tesla’s ‘order now’ M3 site it says at the top ‘order by Nov 30 and Tesla will expedite shipping for Dec 2018 delivery. If I placed my order with a reservation from 2 years ago, would that put further down the line, as opposed to just ordering one myself today. In summary, should I spend $500 to buy someone’s reservation or it only matters when you actually configure and purchase... sorry if my jargon or process is off, but I think you guys get what I’m asking.

- Assuming buying that reservation is reduces my wait time. I’ve read about transitioning reservations over and it’s not a big deal... just change the name and email address that’s it. Anything else I should look for to make sure this happens correctly? I will be doing this in person, so the likelyhood it’s a scam is minimal/none... but any words of wisdom?

- I’m planning on a PM3, White, Black interior, no EAP. Any more of an issue with this configuration vs any other in terms helping to ensure delivery by years end?

Tx for the help/advice!

Can’t wait to place my order and get in queue...

Joe
from Chicago, live in the Bay

You will be pleasantly surprised how quickly Tesla fulfill Bay Area order.

Another data point for you is I ordered on 10/14 when Tesla had the wording that anyone ordering prior to 10/15 are guarantee delivery by 2018.

I was expecting a December delivery, and I end up picking up my car from the Fremont delivery center on 10/27. They actually was available for a home delivery but I wasn't, or else it could have been even earlier.

I think you should be fine. Like others said, don't pay for someone else's reservation. But you should definitely use a referral code for the 6 months supercharging though. :rolleyes:

Reactions: P85_DA
I think that for now, the reservation means absolutely nothing. When ordering for lower cost options (standard interior, short range battery) opens up, there will be a little bit of value for the reservation during those first several months. I suspect they’ll open up the configuator in waves based off the reservation date as those lower cost options are added. There is going to be a huge wave of orders when the 35k version is released, so it would make sense to stage those incoming orders over the course of a few months.

If they’re selling the $1,000 deposit for $500, sure, take advantage of that. That doesn’t make sense because the person could “sell” it to Tesla for the full $1,000 by asking for a refund.

I read this as selling the “spot in line” for $500, so $1,500 in total.

Reactions: BluestarE3
Hey guys.. Tx! Yes, it was $500 on top of the $1000, so $1500 total.

I will definitely just purchase one this week directly from a SA or online...

Any ‘benefit’ to calling my local Tesla dealer vs ordering online?

Maybe if you order from a Tesla showroom, you can get an idea when you get your car? You got a month + 1 week to get your car delivered for full $7500 refund. Being in North Cali puts you at the front, fastest way to get car out (assumptions).

Made up my mind, going with a M3P, pearl white, w/ white interior, no EAP.

One of my biggest regrets would be to buy LR AWD, I’m assuming this is referred to as M3P- or was this called that for the early Performance models that had an option to order the performance package... because today there isn’t an option, it’s included automatically when M3P model trim is selected... Back to my thought lol...

Assuming Ludicrous mode is offered to the M3Ps in the future, I didn’t want to have a M3P- / LR AWD version and not have the ability to upgrade.

Yeah, I’m a previous Model S owner, and I put $1,000 (refundable) down on March 31 2016, then waited. I really pulled the trigger, and put another $2500 (non-refundable) down on October 16. Then received my Model 3 Dual Motor in two weeks. My neighbors who never had been to a Tesla store until just several weeks ago, created a Tesla account, put their $2500 deposit in, and had their Model 3 Dual Motor delivered in two weeks (just 10 days after me).

So no... previous reservations no longer offer any advantage. They did back in March, running through June, but that was about it.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hey guys.. Tx! Yes, it was $500 on top of the $1000, so $1500 total.

I will definitely just purchase one this week directly from a SA or online...

Any ‘benefit’ to calling my local Tesla dealer vs ordering online?
Lol, kudos to the person for trying.

Call your local store and speak to a Sales Advisor. Chances are they’ll be able to find you one for immediate delivery. I know I was offered a couple of AWD before “settling” on a P.