Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone talk me out of a Tesla sourced Used/Preowned M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been looking at some used Tesla Model S cars and decided they were a little too big for our needs.

We are now thinking about the Model 3.

Based on prices it seems like the Telsa Preowned cars are a decent deal (assuming the condition is good at pick up).

The Model 3 will be replacing a (cough) Nissan LEAF - we even looked at buying a 2023 LEAF SV+, but the price is almost the same as a Model 3...so hear we are

We want to be in the low $40K price range and the SR+ is plenty for our needs...Tesla has many cars around $42,500 before tax which just fits our budget.

So I wanted to get this forums current opinions on the Tesla Preowned cars - I have read older threads for hours and do see some good and bad examples...

About the biggest Pro is the 1 year/10,000 mile additional warranty and the EAP/FSD at no charge.

I just bought one and I am happy with it.

Downside of buying from Tesla is that you will get (in my experience) zero chance to look at the car before placing a deposit and paying to have it shipped (if necessary). No pictures, no service history, no info at all except for the color, miles, and basic specs of the car.

Upsides are that you get additional warranty, you get assurances from Tesla that the vehicle is to to their standards, and typically EAP+FSD is included in the price.

In my case the car had full front PPF and homelink installed as well so that was a pleasant surprise at pickup. It is a bit of a leap of faith but I figured they have to warranty whatever they sell me so it’s still better than buying from some random dude on the Internet and the price was actually very reasonable compared to market.

We have been looking at some used Tesla Model S cars and decided they were a little too big for our needs.

We are now thinking about the Model 3.

Based on prices it seems like the Telsa Preowned cars are a decent deal (assuming the condition is good at pick up).

The Model 3 will be replacing a (cough) Nissan LEAF - we even looked at buying a 2023 LEAF SV+, but the price is almost the same as a Model 3...so hear we are

We want to be in the low $40K price range and the SR+ is plenty for our needs...Tesla has many cars around $42,500 before tax which just fits our budget.

So I wanted to get this forums current opinions on the Tesla Preowned cars - I have read older threads for hours and do see some good and bad examples...

About the biggest Pro is the 1 year/10,000 mile additional warranty and the EAP/FSD at no charge.
I understand your budget is low 40k. At this moment, the brand new one is 47k before tax and destination charges. If you do the loan, it might be spread into multiple years payments. I personally want to buy new cars because of the warranty and I am no handyman.

Reactions: evtifosi
I just bought one and I am happy with it.

Downside of buying from Tesla is that you will get (in my experience) zero chance to look at the car before placing a deposit and paying to have it shipped (if necessary). No pictures, no service history, no info at all except for the color, miles, and basic specs of the car.

Upsides are that you get additional warranty, you get assurances from Tesla that the vehicle is to to their standards, and typically EAP+FSD is included in the price.

In my case the car had full front PPF and homelink installed as well so that was a pleasant surprise at pickup. It is a bit of a leap of faith but I figured they have to warranty whatever they sell me so it’s still better than buying from some random dude on the Internet and the price was actually very reasonable compared to market.
Thanks for the information - sounds like you got a great car!

I understand your budget is low 40k. At this moment, the brand new one is 47k before tax and destination charges. If you do the loan, it might be spread into multiple years payments. I personally want to buy new cars because of the warranty and I am no handyman.
I can stretch things a little.

A new car doesn't quite compare as far as AP features, since Tesla is(was) adding FSD to the preowned cars they are selling (free for them). If I were to build a similar spec new version it would be:
$47k no EAP no FSD
$53k w/EAP
$62k w/FSD

Now I don't think I would actually ever pay for FSD - Enhanced Auto Pilot seems to be very useful and has many of the driving features we would want.

Last week there were lots of cars Tesla used Model 3's in the $41k-$43k range with FSD added...and about 2 years of warranty left, 30,000 miles driven...

As of yesterday there are just a few Used cars available - I am thinking end of quarter maybe they all were "sold" to other dealers, or transferred to auction???

I can stretch things a little.

A new car doesn't quite compare as far as AP features, since Tesla is(was) adding FSD to the preowned cars they are selling (free for them). If I were to build a similar spec new version it would be:
$47k no EAP no FSD
$53k w/EAP
$62k w/FSD

Now I don't think I would actually ever pay for FSD - Enhanced Auto Pilot seems to be very useful and has many of the driving features we would want.

Last week there were lots of cars Tesla used Model 3's in the $41k-$43k range with FSD added...and about 2 years of warranty left, 30,000 miles driven...

As of yesterday there are just a few Used cars available - I am thinking end of quarter maybe they all were "sold" to other dealers, or transferred to auction???
Brand new might have a federal tax credit available on January first. I haven’t heard anything definitive on that yet but it is something to keep in mind.

Used inventory changes daily I checked for weeks before I found a great deal on mine. If you want FSD I think it’ll be tough to beat a used one if you don’t care then new may be a better value.

Reactions: evtifosi
I couldn't be happier with my CPO Tesla. I called the service center it was located at (Tampa) and they explained that all of their CPO cars get reconditioned prior to sale. Not sure if this is true for every service center, but it definitely was true for mine. It looked like a brand new car with the exception of one little mark on the rear driver's side door that had been fixed with some touch up paint. Later on I mentioned it to the local service center and they fixed it at no charge. Had the entire door resprayed to fix a tiny mark that clearly fell within the CPO standards (less than an inch or whatever). A year or so later, when rotating the tires, I noticed that one of the wheels had been repaired and repainted due to curb rash. More evidence that they recondition the vehicles and something that was repaired so well I never noticed until I was holding the wheel and studying it.

Oh, and someone at the service center went out to the lot and took pics of the car for me.

I enjoy going to pick up newly purchased cars and driving them back - no better way than a road trip to enjoy a new vehicle in my opinion. It was even more fun with the Tesla.

Just wanted to say Congrats on selecting a CPO Tesla. I am really considering that route as well. I see some 40 - 42k used M3 actually located close to me that will ship to Carlsbad for free which is only like a 15min drive for me. So really considering pulling the trigger on a Used SR+ 2019 I think with 240 EPA give or take degredation on the battery which I am trying to figure out what that might be.

Also I am holding out until 2023 possibly to see how the new EV rebate will work and see if it will bring down the price of new Model 3 to what I can afford. But then again I will lose the ability to get the EAP/FSD upgrade without paying 15K.

Almost worth it to just get the CPO.

Just wanted to say Congrats on selecting a CPO Tesla. I am really considering that route as well. I see some 40 - 42k used M3 actually located close to me that will ship to Carlsbad for free which is only like a 15min drive for me. So really considering pulling the trigger on a Used SR+ 2019 I think with 240 EPA give or take degredation on the battery which I am trying to figure out what that might be.

Also I am holding out until 2023 possibly to see how the new EV rebate will work and see if it will bring down the price of new Model 3 to what I can afford. But then again I will lose the ability to get the EAP/FSD upgrade without paying 15K.

Almost worth it to just get the CPO.
We thought about waiting until 2023 as well based on the potential tax rebates - however the EAP/FSD upgrade was the tipping point for us deciding on the CPO route.

Curious if you have heard anything on delivery? We did our preowned reservation last Thursday, were told by our rep that delivery would be "within the week" and have completed all pre-delivery steps and then radio silence from the rep commenced. Definitely disappointing so far.

Car picked up yesterday (Saturday in Colma).

Condition: Good To Excellent - I would rate it a 9+
There are a few nicks, a few very minor scratches and a few tiny dings. The sport wheels look like they were re-touched at some point and there is a minor scratch on one rim.

There was a loose clip inside a panel that the sales guy removed, and I think the soft rear panel on the rear seat center console (where the vents are for the back seats) needs to be replaced as it has a pretty large scratch that is beyond the "Tesla Guidlines"...we have a appointment with service later this week to see about getting it replaced.

There is also a bend in the plastic lower underbody panel by the driver door - looks like it might need a clip or other adjustment.

The previous owner was a pet owner based on the pet hair in the carpets - the sales guys had it vacuumed to remove most of it. I think we will have the cabin filter replaced as it has a little pet odor it seems (might be my imagination honestly).

There are 2 brand new Continental tires on the rear as well which is a bonus.

The sales team was excellent and the pickup process was very easy. I was pleasantly surprised by the condition - as I was ready to walk away from the car if needed and the condtion of the car wasn't very good.

Picking one up tomorrow 2019, LR M3 FSD AB blue with 28k miles found it a week ago for $41000, will share condition after pickup.
2 scratches driver door
M3 tape on front bumper from front license plate not fully removed, no need for front plate in my state
Tire flat before leaving lot, free fix. They looked like new all around
White interior looked good
Glove box scratched up
Deformed rubber gasket front passenger door farts when going 100

Going too see what they'll fix what they won't at service center