Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone unplugged my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazing, two camps, as though there is one error.

based on what we know, (one-dimensional video review), a person in an orange hoody drove into the garage for a single task... to unplug this charger. he does and he leaves.

Impulse? Fetish? Duty? We don't know why. Does it matter why he unplugged? Yes, it does, if we believe this to be an unprovoked and seemingly random act, cause face it, where humans be, random flees.

To say there is never a reason to unplug another's car is ridiculous on the face of it yet this is the affront of the unknown oppressor, predator, criminal or tesla activist.

Having heard the ops complaint, I initially assumed it was weird but gave the benefit of doubt and duly noted the birth of shadowy or rather brightly dressed Tesla irritators or perhaps I'd become the target of newly discovered fetish that centered around the disconnecting of ev.s.

Upon review of the first mild but, inquisitive interrogation, I realized I had assumed the presence of an unfriendly and disruptive person or persons who could interrupt my travel regardless of my interaction or more disturbing lack of interaction as the op would have us believe.

This is disturbing whether you consciously realize it or not. On the 2nd interrogation, the op was defensive and easily picked up the inquisitors subtle warning to cease or confess. Instead, he chose to continue and didn't strengthen his position or offer additional backstory. Further selling this as a random act perpetrated against him by a chinese man. This fact wasnt brought by him but was in a larger public forum. Though seemingly unimportant, I believe this fact needs to be examined more closely with, WHY WAS THIS IMPORTANT TO ESTABLISH IN A ANNOYANCE NOT A CRIME. Forgetting the surface incrimination of a more intimate encounter that could be had by the video supplied, let's focus on the level of anger you have towards this person who simply unplugged your vehicle. No damages can be established criminally nor civilly. yet, you call this person out in public forums twice for disconnecting your courtesy service and identify him racially at least once with no other physical identifiers commonly used to hunt down criminals. This is troubling me more and more on the face of its own...

(if unplugging an ev is a deadly sin, shouldn't promoting disinformation which, promotes friction and discord not to mention stress if one may need to rely on public fuel to not be stranded or delayed, be akin to a capital crime, due to its ongoing interference versus a single and,,,,''random' act?)

Looking back this group turned on man who very well likely is part of our small pioneering club whose story we hadn't heard and most importantly hadn't been constructed of too many unlikely events or refined in a defensive manner only to finally duck out of his own proposed mystery and likey call to arms which would do nothing but encourage factions as did take place before our very eyes.

The op was owned by the 3rd polite but direct inquiry. most importantly he was down by his own admission in the op when he admitted to leaving his car in a charger overnight expecting to be finished and ready for an important Sunday appointment...

There is never a reason to assume your travel is most important without research into the matter. the op didn't consult a single fellow ev user nor has he promoted a possible resolution that could fix what is constructed by him as the only active architect.

What is this called when news or governments do this? ...something mongering...oh yeah, fea....

There two errors here if we assume. one if we consider only the facts on hand.
could this person be employed on this property and the following policy or executing a directive as a result of a complaint from tenants? Hell, could he have thought he saw smoke or heat shimmers near or above this lone car and unplugged it to be safe and benefit the driver-owner? Greenpeace has left the seas and started a new campaign to save our children planet by removing so-called eco friendly vehicles from the coal-fired and produced source of fuel our vehicles actually rely on, by disconnecting the umbilical cord after a miscalculated allotment of time figuring all the lights and pretty illuminated gizmos in use seeming to draw attention to our generous contribution to others planet may, in fact, waste more burning coal while the owner sleeps or tweaks somewhere else in the night.

fact; this individual shows no outwardly fear of being detected. other than what almost seems like spirited skipping up the steps we have no proof he disconnected the car. he could have simply taken it out of a once again drunken Elvis' hand before he stuck it on his tongue again in hopes of summoning the mother ship or broke into an enthusiastic rendition of Via las vegas complete with twirling wired mic\connecter and it collided with a judges car this time and our maintenance boy is called to explain the unchecked vandalism without sounding nuts.

for those in the op camp, we cant beyond a reasonable doubt honestly say this orange wearing person is male or that they got in a car and drove away. (could be he was executed after being paid a 100 bucks to disconnect a lazy Americans carbon toking luxo boat and lies dead right beside the door of his car as the Teslas owner in need of an alibi kicks it out of the garage in a scion that is made to resemble a fiat due to lens distortion or raindrops.

wait' how do we know it was Tesla and not a mall childrens choo-choo that orangy engineers and we are simply viewing his 3 sec clean up punch out and exit on a secret employers camera used to verify he carefully safety checks the train cars and wears proper safety equipment when powering down the little engine that could...fry. and even more so in the rain...as he checks out long before his claimed normally scheduled 4 am release.

could the op actually be russian...repeats himself a lot and the calling out of his race...omg it could E.M....

That's assuming everyone has a QR code scanner app and/or knows what to do with a QR code.

I just leave my cell phone number on a card in the dash.
Yes but you expose your personal info to anyone passing by!

No need to have a scanner app. All new Iphone and Android models have the scanner built in. You just need to point your camera to the code (same was you take a picture) it recognises it and takes action by taking you to SMS messaging with a ready sms asking me to come back to the car because somebody needs the charger. It also fills my mobile number. You only need to hit send button to send a text message to me.

In a way I assumed someone with a Tesla affords a smart phone and also my mobile number is not visible for everybody! Ordinary people might think it is a special coded QR or app for Tesla and no personal phone is visible.

let's focus on the level of anger you have towards this person who simply unplugged your vehicle.

Why?

Denying a service can be construed a minor act of vandalism, as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, there are levels of anger and the OP didn't seem more angry than I'd expect the average person to be. I've been unplugged, and it angered/annoyed me. Then again it does one somebody cuts in front of me in line too...

Yes but you expose your personal info to anyone passing by!

And??

What is someone going to do with a random cell phone number? Prank call me? They can't do a reverse lookup to see where I live.

I guess they could call me and when I arrive, they jump/mug me since I'm a Tesla owner and take my wallet and phone.

But then again, using the QR code has the exact same effect of drawing you out to the car. So no real benefit there.

If I were that concerned about it, I'd use a Google Voice number forwarded to my cell phone. A cell phone number is universal, and anyone can call it. Even people without cell phones, without smartphones (flip phones, burners, etc), or say local management who write down the number and go call from a landline.

No need to have a scanner app. All new Iphone and Android models have the scanner built in.

Right. But how many people actually know that? You're still assuming everyone seeing your card knows what a QR code is and that they have the means and capability to use it. Your card doesn't even say 'To contact me immediately, please scan this QR Code with any smartphone'. It just says 'contact'... whereas a cell-phone number, everyone knows what it is, and how to use it, even if they don't have a cell phone, they can go to a local establishment and call.

Reactions: MP3Mike
And??

What is someone going to do with a random cell phone number? Prank call me? They can't do a reverse lookup to see where I live.

I guess they could call me and when I arrive, they jump/mug me since I'm a Tesla owner and take my wallet and phone.

But then again, using the QR code has the exact same effect of drawing you out to the car. So no real benefit there.

If I were that concerned about it, I'd use a Google Voice number forwarded to my cell phone. A cell phone number is universal, and anyone can call it. Even people without cell phones, without smartphones (flip phones, burners, etc), or say local management who write down the number and go call from a landline.

Right. But how many people actually know that? You're still assuming everyone seeing your card knows what a QR code is and that they have the means and capability to use it. Your card doesn't even say 'To contact me immediately, please scan this QR Code with any smartphone'. It just says 'contact'... whereas a cell-phone number, everyone knows what it is, and how to use it, even if they don't have a cell phone, they can go to a local establishment and call.

“What is someone going to do with a random cell phone number? Prank call me?”

Well, don’t give this women your number:
Arizona woman sends 65K texts, breaks into victim's home & takes bath

And??

Yes I agree with you totally. But where is the fun part? It is good to stimulate people’s mind and brain to figure out how to contact me.

Also stalkers are not rare. I just read on the news that a woman sent 65,000 SMS to a guy after their first date! Now imagine someone handsome, rich and above all a Tesla owner like me!! how many girls are going to send text to him if they see his number! LOL.

It is just the inconvenience of your number being available to everyone and of cours it can be abused in the hand of wrong people.

As a matter of fact, if we Tesla owners, create some code of conducts and procedures and share them with each other in similar forums, it will be just a matter of time before we only need to put a QR in the car somewhere without any notice or instruction and others can recognise it and contact us. Just education. For example after my last post you know that your phone has capability to read QR codes.

Cheers.

LMAO, how are people even defending this idiot for unplugging someones car and driving away. OP lucked out, at least it was just an asian troll in the dark of the night unplugging cars instead of others keying it.

Racist much? Plus, I don't see anyone defending him and certainly not me if that's who your're referring to.

Why does it matter how he charges to you? I don't get the self righteousness of people on here to decide how others should use their car.

I've said why it matters to me. It's not self righteousness -- as if that's a bad thing -- I guess you practice self-wrongness. In any event, this is what I said because it's in my neck of the woods -- Richmond is half-way from South Surrey to Vancouver:

I just have a lot of questions having had my daughter on the phone crying because our Leaf was in turtle mode on Hwy 99 after coming from Vancouver to South Surrey because all of the public chargers she drove by had Teslas parked in them. As I said in this post in another thread:

I like to pick up free electrons at the mall, etc. but worry that I don't really need them and think about the time my daughter was crying over the phone to me because the Leaf was at 0 and she's a few miles from home. She made it -- I told her not to cry, we'll just call a tow truck if it runs out, and she always asked me what she will tell her kids like I tell her (no internet, cell phones, etc.) and I said you can now tell your kids this story and they will laugh about the Leaf's low range, and you will tell them barely anyone drove EVs and we had 2.

Anyways, I'm done here since we're now just going in circles and it's clear I won't be getting any honest answers to my questions that make for a good debate.

I just read on the news that a woman sent 65,000 SMS to a guy

, if we Tesla owners, create some code of conducts and procedures and share them with each other in similar forums, it will be just a matter of time before we only need to put a QR in the car somewhere without any notice or instruction and others can recognise it and contact us

Sorry, but no way, no how, can you solve stupidity with education. Even with Tesla owners.

Now imagine someone handsome, rich and above all a Tesla owner like me!! how many girls are going to send text to him if they see his number! LOL.

If you're as rich and handsome as you say, and single, I'd think publishing your cell phone number would be a great way to meet eligible mates. You just have to be smart to avoid the gold-diggers. And if someone scams you for 65,000, well then maybe you didn't deserve to be that rich to start with.

:):p:D

• Funny
Reactions: Farzinfar
“What is someone going to do with a random cell phone number? Prank call me?”

Well, don’t give this women your number:
Arizona woman sends 65K texts, breaks into victim's home & takes bath

Well, he must have given her his address at some point, or even gone out on a date with her at least once. Then it turned bad.

Yes, someone could text you 65,000 times. But honestly, what are the chances?

I've left my car in my dash with my cell phone at superchargers or L2 chargers probably 30 times now, and have never had one problem.

Yes, bad things can happen. Your next flight could go down in flames, but you still fly, no?

Reactions: Galve2000
Sorry, but no way, no how, can you solve stupidity with education. Even with Tesla owners.

If you're as rich and handsome as you say, and single, I'd think publishing your cell phone number would be a great way to meet eligible mates. You just have to be smart to avoid the gold-diggers. And if someone scams you for 65,000, well then maybe you didn't deserve to be that rich to start with.

:):p:D

I think you read my comment incorrectly. You are right in saying education will not resolve stupidity but I wasn’t reffing to those stupid unpluggers!! I was talking about sophisticated, handsome/beautiful, educated, intelligent Tesla owners who can learn a few code of conducts and rules among themselves and setup a procedure for these things without revealing their identity to public.

Finally being handsome, rich (not single though!! :( ), doesn’t mean to be desperate to have girls reaching me by texting and asking for blind date. ;)

Anyway I appreciate the comments and make some more modifications to my note starting by adding “n” and accent to French version and writing “Scan me with your Phone Camera Please” under the QR code.

:)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I think you read my comment incorrectly. You are right in saying education will not resolve stupidity but I wasn’t reffing to those stupid unpluggers!! I was talking about sophisticated, handsome/beautiful, educated, intelligent Tesla owners who can learn a few code of conducts and rules among themselves and setup a procedure for these things without revealing their identity to public.

Oh, I know you are talking about Tesla owners, as was I. Yes, even Tesla owners can be phenomenally stupid.

There's at least one mobile app someone created to allow Tesla owners to contact each other directly with a QR code, but it never took off or go any traction (it was posted here on TMC, but I don't remember the name).

The best option for this kind of thing is for Tesla to enable a feature of communicating with other owners through the Tesla mobile app. No QR code needed, it could just use GPS to determine your proximity to other cars charging (or still connected to a SC) and the stall number to ping them "someone is waiting to charge, please return to your car soon". The app already does that when your car is done charging, and you can accrue non-charging fees for every minute you are taking up a stall and not charging.

Canuck said:
... my daughter on the phone crying because our Leaf was in turtle mode on Hwy 99 after coming from Vancouver to South Surrey because all of the public chargers she drove by had Teslas parked in them

As an interesting aside we were at the theater last night[1], and the parking lot was packed, and we ended up parking quite a ways away. On the way in the charging spot in a prime location up front was open, and my daughter said we could have parked there. I told her it was a bit of an a-hole move to take a charger you really don't need.

Whaddya know, when we got out there was a Leaf parked there, not charging at all. I pointed out that was an even bigger a-hole move.

[1] To see Love and Bananas with the film maker doing a Q&A afterwards. I recommend it if you can find a screening to see an example of folks doing good work for animal conservation

Reactions: MP3Mike
Well, at least you got footage of that prick.
I guess he might think he's the sheriff of the charger.
Looks like he didn't drive away but just walked into the building.
I would have sought him out for some questions.
These weasels usually fade when confronted.

Oh, I know you are talking about Tesla owners, as was I. Yes, even Tesla owners can be phenomenally stupid.

There's at least one mobile app someone created to allow Tesla owners to contact each other directly with a QR code, but it never took off or go any traction (it was posted here on TMC, but I don't remember the name).

The best option for this kind of thing is for Tesla to enable a feature of communicating with other owners through the Tesla mobile app. No QR code needed, it could just use GPS to determine your proximity to other cars charging (or still connected to a SC) and the stall number to ping them "someone is waiting to charge, please return to your car soon". The app already does that when your car is done charging, and you can accrue non-charging fees for every minute you are taking up a stall and not charging.

But the stupid guy you referred to, evidences show he was either committing suicide or had a stroke or heart attack as he ignored all signals autopilot gave him.

Re the app you mentioned, I would love to see it. Perhaps the developer didn’t know how to market it otherwise it can be very useful. If you happen to find the thread you read it please forward it to me. Thanks

Let us do not forget people generally are resistant to changes. Remember when first generation of smart phones in early 2000 came out which was combination of PDA and phone. It had a very negative feedback in the market which almost killed it within few years as people wanted to have smaller, thinner and more delicate phones but apple changed the story again and now everyone loves them. As I said in my previous posts, it is a matter of time for people to develope etiquettes and rules for using EVs.

On another note, I think what Tesla can do for its superchargers is to give ability to drivers to book a slot based on their ETA to the location. All hardware is in place including SIM Card for communication and booking as well as monitoring of slots. Currently when you choose a supercharger station on the map, it shows how many slots are free or occupied so it is easy to put all info together and write a small module to make the booking when you navigate to the station.

But the issue here we discuss is more about EV charging stations where there are other types of chargers including Tesla wall connector at destination charging point. I am still reluctant to visibly put my contact details on the car especially in places I don’t know which neighborurhood it has! :)

But the stupid guy you referred to, evidences show he was either committing suicide or had a stroke or heart attack as he ignored all signals autopilot gave him.

I don't believe there is any evidence that the driver wanted to commit suicide or had a stroke, etc. Same thing for the recent driver in California that ignored the AP warnings and crashed his car into a barrier and was killed.

In the second link I posted, the driver put on AP and moved to the passenger seat. He lost his license for 1.5 years because of it. How phenomenally stupid is that? Putting his one life and the lives of everyone around him at risk for a stupid stunt.

On another note, I think what Tesla can do for its superchargers is to give ability to drivers to book a slot based on their ETA to the location. All hardware is in place including SIM Card for communication and booking as well as monitoring of slots. Currently when you choose a supercharger station on the map, it shows how many slots are free or occupied so it is easy to put all info together and write a small module to make the booking when you navigate to the station.

I don't think a booking system will ever work.. you can't force everyone to use it, and what if someone books a slot for their 20 minute ETA and another driver shows up and takes the slot? Is Tesla going to say 'oops, sorry, you can't charge right now since someone else who isn't here yet pre-booked this slot'... or even 'you can charge in this slot for 12 minutes until the next person who booked it shows up'.. and then Tesla turns off the charging for that slot? There's no way to make a booking system work like that.

What you can do is the opposite -- you can tell drivers in the car that when they arrive at a SC location, there will likely be an X minute wait for a stall.